How to spot Weatherside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to spot Weatherside?

I looked at a place today that had some kind of a fibre cement weatherboard that resembles weatherside. It wasn't turning to weetbix like weatherside does, and it sounded solid when knocked, unlike weatherside which (by memory) sounds/ feels more like a lightweight pinex board.

It's a while since I've seen the real thing so can't be 100% sure. Has anone got a simple way of spotting weatherside?

Gerrard

Hi Gerrard,

The topic has come up before:

These two look promising, but try the search for other threads.

cube
    DFTBA

Comment

I always use the Weetbix test. I traded a property that sounds similar to this. The building inspector said, it looks a bit like WS but as it hasn't turned to Weetbix anywhere it can't be. Got mortgage etc. no problem.

Comment

Hi Gerrard

Weather side is all right if it has been well maintained.
        If the property has been painted when it has needed it you will not see any sign of rot (weetbix) and will be as sound as the day it was built.
        It looks just as if it could be hardi's on the house once painted, I guess one sure way to tell would be to chip some paint off and if it is weather side it will be and look just like hard board (brown).
        I guess if it is weather side use it as a negotiating tool to lower the price and if you get it for a real steal the cost to re clad a house isn't toooo dear.

Good Luck
        Warwick

Comment

Just remember you can't generally get an 80% mortgage if lenders know it's weatherside.

Comment

If you chip paint off to see content and dont buy it might pay to touch up area. Otherwise the poor owner might get Weetbix later on.

Comment

Thanks Cube. Who would ever have thought to search for the answer!

Comment

Having worked for NZFP and installed the product in the ealy 70's-It was a good product if prepped correctly.
                Unfortunately the product install information was at best lacking.

Weatherside required sealing particularly the frame side which was never done in most of all installs.
                The underside normally is where most ingress of moisture occured which resulted in raised material creating either a flaking or bubble effect.

Correct installation applies to all building materials-Hence the now well spread leaky homes drama. Mike

Comment

Working...
                X