Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How online communities work

Hello all,

I would be interested in our communities thoughts on where we stand in the life cycle of a community forum.

Below is a nice overview of the stages of an online forum. Where do you think we are?

I personally can see some of the points made below coming through on our on forum - what about you?

So what are the stages of a net community?

Stage 1: Arrival of the core group. When a net community starts, it will attract a small group of regulars. This number is usually fairly specific -- under 30 people who participate heavily. Since the new site has little traffic, this group dominates the site.

Stage 2: Community Expansion. The website begins to grow exponentially towards its eventual "maximum size". So lots of new people arrive. The regulars, typically friendly and social able, welcome these new people to the community. Some of the regulars try to hint that these newcomers need to respect the existing pecking order and other unwritten rules that the regulars have established.

Stage 3: Melodrama. Some of the regulars, now using terms like "Old guard" or "Founders" or "Old timers" or other terms to convey that they've been part of the community for longer than others, begin to write about the lack of manners, civility, decency, etc. of many of the newcomers. Various melodramatic posts/articles are written about how everything is falling apart.

Stage 4: Exodus. Some of the "old guard" now begin to leave in a huff. This usually includes so long winded, melodramatic post talking about how the community has gone to hell in the hand basket and how they predict that other people (like themselves) will soon leave as well. The implication being that the original regulars are more equal than newcomers and the loss of their presence will doom the site.

Stage 5: Stabilization. The "old guard" that remains are the ones who can adapt to the community's growth and maturity. They are the ones who recognize that they are one member amongst many. The community will have lots of activity and interest but a lot less melodrama at this point. Occasionally, an "old timer" will drop in and bemoan how much nicer things were in the "old days" when the community had a "specific character". The most popular users at this point will form a new set of regulars.

Communities tend to grow in a quasi-step ladder type growth curve. So this 5 stage cycle will repeat itself several times until the community reaches its maximum growth (based on the resources of the site, subject matter, marketing, whatever).
    Source-> http://forums.wincustomize.com/index...d=67&aid=20782

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

GOsh, that's interesting, isn't it!

I would say we're somewhere at the end of Stage 3 moving into Stage 4..??
    Last edited by BusyLizzy; 22-05-2007, 11:00 PM.
    Lisa

Comment

I would have thought more like Phase 2.

Comment

Stage 4

My 2 cents worth.

Regards,
        *poormastery*

Comment

I would say just arrived at 5.

However, I came on board late so there may have been a completed cycle in the pre 2005/06 summer.

I can relate to the idea that the old guard think they are 'better' than the others, having seen it elsewhere, but I have not really seen it here, except perhaps in some 'in' jokes and references. This is to the site's crdit.
          I do see a levelling out in some areas because there are fewer and fewer topics to discuss afresh. This will also lead to a lot of silly squabbles and off topic ramblings, because the posters are bored and have nothing better to occupy their minds.

Perhaps a new injection is needed, but that's not my decision, nor am I suggesting what that injection should be.

xris

Comment

Completing Round 2

IMHO we are on round 2 of the cycle and at the beginning of stage 5.

We have been in operation nearly 4 years so maybe it's a 20 month cycle on PropertyTalk.com.

We ended the first round in early 2005 after a couple of 'old guard' (regular well respected posters) went off line - and soon after some newbies joined that are now the new 'old guard' - umm you are in this lot Dean - you came online in 2005.

Even more interesting in stage 4 there is the false exodus of the 'old guard' - where they post they are leaving...but they don't leave - instead they visit the site as often as they did before however now they are 'lurkers' (technical term) basically they watch the workings of the community but they don't post.....under their original username.

I wonder how many cycles we will complete.....

Cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I think between melodrama and exodus - and possibly only the first time around.

The departure of previous 'honoured' guests was not so much because the forums evolved in a way that they didn't like, but more that life, for them, got in the way, as they drifted off in directions other than property. There were some short-lived members who never really got on in the community, so never reached "old guard" status.

It is only recently that some experienced members have left "in a huff" in the way described above.

Further, I think that the future for PT is bright, so long as the community can continue to offer help, advice, encouragement, fantastic deals and be as ready to accept criticism as they (we) are to dish it out.

cube
              DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                Further, I think that the future for PT is bright, so long as the community can continue to offer help, advice, encouragement, fantastic deals and be as ready to accept criticism as they (we) are to dish it out.

cube
                Well said, Cube!
                Lisa

Comment

Good to see Marc has a balanced view of recent events. I'd say early stage five, the mods have a birds-eye seat of course. Gives me a laugh to see apparently reasoned folk biff their toys out of the cot.

Comment

Count?

Out of interest, I was wondering how the count on this forum works. Every day, it seems to say that the most users were online here. For example:

"Most users ever online was 320, Today at 09:26 AM."

Does this just mean the most users online in the last 24 hours? Recently, a big gang of Richmastery followers left this forum, so I assume the user numbers are way down at the moment? However, there do seem to be quite a few new posters here recently...

By the way, is it just me, or has this forum really changed in the past few months?

Regards,
                    *poormastery*
                    Last edited by poormastery; 06-06-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

It's all good

PM,

I believe it refers to the numbers online at any one time. From memory the record was sitting at 302 for quite awhile and has obviously just been beaten today.

The fact that there are some excellent threads at the moment would have contributed to this I think.

Yes, the forum has changed recently and much for the better. A lot of the "noise" and bickering is now absent, due in no small part to ringfencing of all comments on RM to its own monster thread. A great decision by the mods, IMHO, which has vastly improved the feel of the site.

Cheers
                      G
                      Last edited by revdev; 06-06-2007, 09:42 PM. Reason: added a little bit more
                      Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Hello all,

Yep - its how many people are online at that time.

Cheers

marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

Sorry, I am a bit slow today. The most users ever online wasn't 320 then? What was the most?

Regards,
                          *poormastery*

Comment

Hello!

Yep that was the record 320. To see what the current amount is look for

"Currently Active Users:"

The highest amount every recorded for the forum is located

"Most users ever online was XXX,"

Cheers

Marc

Comment

Fantastic we got to 320!

Originally posted by Poormastery
                              Does this just mean the most users online in the last 24 hours?
                              Okay basically that is a measure of simultaneous users so it means that at 9:26 there were 320 people all reading PT, which is more than there has been ever in the past.

Recently, a big gang of Richmastery followers left this forum, so I assume the user numbers are way down at the moment?
                              In regards to the big gang of Richmastery followers leaving, I think only one explicitly left and even he still reads PT (Hi Steve, how are things?) Most of the
                              others who have ceased posting were single serving posters, they only popped up for the Richmastery argy bargy and now have disappeared off into the wilderness until next time. (Note this happens on both sides of the perennial debate)

It is a bit hard to tell if user numbers are down, since the online users is only useful as a rough guide as users don't have to be members nor if they are members posters. I can confirm from my very rough measurement of the number of posts per day that there has been no drop off in content despite anyone's departure.

By the way, is it just me, or has this forum really changed in the past few months?
                              Well, you have definitely changed, after all you warranted first person status just the other day But I don't think that is what you mean. I'd say the forum has gone back to normal rather than changed significantly, you signed up in an odd patch so (presuming you weren't reading much before that) your perception is probably a bit skewed.

Cheers
                              David
                              New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X