Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVS - HRV - MoistureMaster

Hi All,
    I've seen this discussed before individually but I'd like to know if anyone has compared which of these systems is the best even though all seem alike

180 sqm house... mostly single story, 4 bedroom, open plan kitchen dining lounge. 2 bath

1. DVS - 3 outlets - approx 2600
    2. HRV - 6 outlets 2 motors - approx 3700
    3. MoistureMaster - 2 outlets with inline heater - 2600$

We currently keep out bedroom doors closed at night and want to use this as ventilation and reduce condensation on windows.

Any help making this decision will be great
    Thanks

Also check what the annual filter replacement will cost.

I have installed 2 DVS systems.
    Work very well.
    Houses are much drier and warmer.
    Too many outlets can look a bit ugly.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Hi,

I haven't compared the systems, but we do have a HRV system in the house we are currently renting (a 3 bedroom, modern brick home) - and I find it excellent!

I turn it off when we are at home as I like doors and windows open during the day. But leave it on when we are out, and at night. It definitely makes a difference in the room temperature and we've had no issues with condensation - even in the master bedroom which has an ensuite, where I take very loooong showers. .

Things that I like:
      - it makes a definite difference to the warmth of the house
      - the motor is quiet
      - there is an outlet in most rooms, which must be good for better distribution of airflow throughout the house.

My two cents worth!
      Lisa

Comment

I am putting 47 of them in my rentals at the moment. We checked them all out extensively and the best brand by far is Healthaire. They actually invented the product and their system is entirely tenant proof. Turns itself on and off automatically, does NOT need setting for summer or winter and you don't need any control panels etc.
        They are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
          I am putting 47 of them in my rentals at the moment. We checked them all out extensively and the best brand by far is Healthaire. They actually invented the product and their system is entirely tenant proof. Turns itself on and off automatically, does NOT need setting for summer or winter and you don't need any control panels etc.
          They are excellent.
          47 houses Dean, is that your record, or have you owned more, you going for the half century? I guess you are protecting your assets from any damage due to condensation in Auckland homes, was this your reason for installing that many?

FH
          Home Buyz
          [email protected]

Comment

Yes we are doing every proprety that we can. They cost roughly 2 grand each but you never have condensation issues again. No need for expelairs or extractors in the bathrooms. No mould, no ceiling repainting etc. Houses actually dry out so stay much warmer in winter. In fact some people don't need to heat houses at all anymore.
            Doesn't matter if no one ever opens a window again, the house still breathes.

And for the tenant it costs 12 cents a day in power but means dry house, clean air, fantastic for allergy asthma sufferers. They are a great thing. You have to watch the brands though. DVS have electronic problems after time adn nearly all of them have a cotrol panel that someone, AKA the tenant, has to know how to use. Healthaire 100% automatic.
            I reckon they'll pay for themselves in under 2 years with reduced maintenance and happier tenants

Comment

That is excellent, also is a great positive for finding new tenants who look out for these type of properties, not to mention reduced maintenance per property. Feel I need to get one for our home.

Another great tip Dean.

FH
              Home Buyz
              [email protected]

Comment

Have just had Moisture Master installed in PPOR, and its working well - from loads of condensation one day to none the next.

Two systems installed (two separate roof spaces) + one extra outlet to allow the outlets to be in the bedrooms, rather than the hallway requiring the doors to be open overnight. $5,200 after a bit of negotiating (RRP $5800).

We went for MoistureMaster because of the inline heater - the others claimed it wasn't necessary in Auckland, but recent temperatures indicate otherwise. We couldn't see the point in taking 6 degree air from the roof and pumping it into the bedrooms all night!

cube
                DFTBA

Comment

Hi People,

I assume we are talking about dehumidifiers here, although it's all a bit cryptic. I have seen stand alone units (in fact had one stolen by a tenant), but I guess you are talking about ceiling mounted babies.

Does anyone have a web site for healthair? Google is not useful in this case.

The Dog

Comment

Dog,
                    Looks like you missed the e off the end of Healthaire!

cheers
                    Stu

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dog View Post
                      Hi People,

I assume we are talking about dehumidifiers here, although it's all a bit cryptic. I have seen stand alone units (in fact had one stolen by a tenant), but I guess you are talking about ceiling mounted babies.

Does anyone have a web site for healthair? Google is not useful in this case.

The Dog
                      The systems have a de-humidifying effect, but replacing the damp air in the house with drier air from the roof space or outside.

A stand-alone dehumidifier cools the air that it takes in to condense out the water vapour and then re-heats it to put it back in the room (I think that's how they work!).

HRV, DVS, Healthaire are basically the same, Moisture Master is the same again but comes with the heater as standard, Cleanaire is a 'heat exchange' system that extracts the heat from air from the home, and uses it to heat 'fresh' air from the outside (not the roof space).

cube
                      DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by SAllan View Post
                        Dog,
                        Looks like you missed the e off the end of Healthaire!

cheers
                        Stu
                        Thanks Stu.

Comment

HRV is it

Finally went with HRV because
                          a. Outlets in every room and we keep our doors closed at night
                          b. Better filter and the wife wanted this for her allergies...
                          c. Got a better deal after some negotiations... which I promised not to disclose

From my experiences of 1 week (house in auckland)
                          1. Zero moisture on the windows.... yep none at all
                          2. The Air is drier and smells fresher (so says my wife and if she is happy I'm happy)

But
                          3. The claim about free warmth... hmm only during the day is the temperature in the roof warmer than the house.. at night it is at least 2-3 c lower

Anyways my learnings then

Moisture Master - Just was not convincing enough about that small fan heater ... don't want a fan heater running all day long.

HRV - Good for ventilation and filter but expensive because the more rooms you have the more outlets and motors you require.. good for your own home where you might have expensive camera equipment etc that you want dry as can be

DVS - best value but if you close your doors at night I cannot see it work

and finally there is no such thing as free heat from the roof

Comment

Hi Rockran,
                            Interested to hear your comments on HRV. Had a potential option client install an HRV system after their ancient diesel central heating system died. They are very happy with the lack of condensation and the dry air BUT the HRV system does not provide enough heat to keep them warm and they are having to resort to using lots of plug in electric heaters. They have even resurrected the old open fire in the lounge. I recommended that they look into getting a heat pump installed, which would keep them warm and also reduce their skyrocketing heating bill. Therefore be careful when looking at HRV, DVS or systems like these as they tend to need an additional heating source.

Cheers
                            Kevin
                            "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing"
                            – Walt Disney

Comment

Hello rockran,

Yes, I too was interested in your comments.

How much did you base your decision on the salesperson and the discounted offer, and how much on the system?

From what you say the different systems offer quite different services. My understanding is that they are all basically the same.

DVS removes moisture from each room. Well so will all the others if you install a vent in each room like you have with DVS.

We keep our doors closed at night. Fine, but then you pay extra for extra vents in each room. The type of system does not matter.

DVS has a better filtration system for allegies. Is that what the DVS salesman told you?

They do not provide heated air. Well they do indirectly by removing moisture, and to an extent they do directly by slightly warming the air as it circulates. Each model will have options for having a heating gadget installed (basically a glorified light bulb). You can choose that or not by paying a little more for a more advanced unit.

I'm not trying to knock your decision, rather to question the grounds on which you made it.

xris
                              Last edited by xris; 22-07-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X