Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours wont consent to deck

Hi there,

I have had an annoying encounter with a neighbour to one of our rentals in Wellington. She won't consent to a deck that will go within 2m of her boundary. Fair enough I hear you say but she wouldn't give me a reason why. Plus she doesn't live there herself. It is rented out.
    There is also a line of tall trees between the sections which completely screens the other house which is a long way from that boundary.
    Is there any way around this without neighbour consent? Can you appeal to the council?
    It is difficult when she won't say the reason for her decision.

Any ideas or hitmen phone numbers?

It might help if we know more about why you need her consent as if you are 2 mts from the boundary one would think you meet council regs unless you are in a skyscraper and building 4mts off the ground.
    I'm sick of the crumbs i want a piece of that pie

Comment

I want to build it to less than 2m from her boundary because it will be >1.5M high

Comment

Most councils will allow you to build 1 metre from the boundary unlees it is road frontage. But you would require a permit for the deck as its over a metre high. I am not familar with wellington regs so cant comment on the distance from boundary. Why do you need her consent if you meet the council building regs

Comment

The council regs are >2m from the boundary if >1.5m high

Comment

Ok you have a problem. Consider making the deck lower by using steps from the entry to make the bulk of the deck closest to the boundary under 1.5 mts or be prepared for long up hill struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by moovet View Post
              It is difficult when she won't say the reason for her decision.

Unfortunately moovet, she doesn't have to.

These trees - are they on your side and are they a nuisance to her? Light, roots etc?

xris
              Last edited by xris; 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Take her to dinner or whatever

Show her why you are a PI and offer to teach her the benefits of becoming a PI

then ask her to help you - there needs to be a win/win

Comment

It's all about getting people on side. If the first communication with her is about getting consent, it ain't surprising she won't agree.

Comment

She's a she.

It might just be me - but logic & reason doesn't seem to work - some sort of genetic disorder?
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Some councils allow certain things (with neighbour
                      consent) to by-pass notification. If you can't get that,
                      you may have to use the more expensive, notified
                      consent application process.

Could an offer of consent from you for a higher fence
                      line height be an acceptable quid pro quo?

Comment

Its just a strange one because we cant even see her place because of the line of trees. I am pretty sure they are on her side. Yeah I was wondering if there was a council process that could be gone through that doesn't require their consent.
                        Honestly, her house is probably at least 20M away from the boundary.
                        We will probably put a deck on the other side of the house or have a stepdown to 1.5m as was suggested.
                        I was just interested if there were other ways to get consent.

Comment

[quote=moovet;73070]
                          [quote]

Yes, but give people power and they tend to abuse it (eg the power to say 'no'.) This may be all that is making her say 'no' - the simple ability to do so.

xris

Comment

Maybe she wants to build on it one day.
                            Trees can come out in the future, so I'd discount the trees. I kind of wouldn't want a neighbour putting up a high deck on any of my boundaries because I might be close to them in the future if I subdivide.
                            There would be some exceptions to this, depending on the topography.
                            Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Consent for deck

Originally posted by moovet View Post
                              She won't consent to a deck that will go within 2m of her boundary.
                              You haven't said what your local Council requirements are. For example, in my area, you can built UP TO 1m from the boundary UNLESS your house is a back section (ie cross lease or down a ROW) and then any permanent construction must be 3m from the boundary.

Fair enough I hear you say but she wouldn't give me a reason why. Plus she doesn't live there herself. It is rented out.
                              Unfortunately for you, she doesn't have to give a reason but alternatively she cannot stop construction just because she can. This is a difficult to prove.

If you meet your Council requirements and only need her consent to build, Council should look at how it will impact on her dwelling. The fact that it is 20m from the boundary line between trees, may work in your favour.

Can you appeal to the council?
                              Appealing to a bureauracy is a waste of time. Deal with it logically and unemotionally. Get hold of the Council rules & regulations (most Councils provide these free of charge) that state what is required.

It is going to take time and effort and LOTS OF PATIENCE. Get yourself a cup of coffee (or G & T, or bourbon & coke, whatever) a pen and paper and work out what you want and then works backwards from there.

It makes the process much easier if you have a game plan.

And the best thing I have ever learnt - ALWAYS be nice to Council staff. They can f*** you around, just because they can and delay permits etc for months.

I have a few phone numbers, but if I gave them to you, I'd have to kill you. LOL!!!

Good luck and please keep us up to date.
                              Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Working...
                              X