Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality apartments in Auck?

hi all,
    i'm closely watching apartment sales in auck with a view to buying one for cash and then renting it out. i think aparts in auckland will only continue to get cheaper so i'm in no real rush right at present

guess i could/should leverage that cash into 2 or 3 apartments but i'm pretty old school..... maybe later if this turns out well i'll look into leverage

worse than low rent is no rent so 1 of the theories i'm working on is that a top quality apartment in auck is still likely to be fully rented even if the rental has to be dropped from current rates

(the other theory is a bunch of the cheapest student boxes in managed buildings on leasehold land would return the best cashflow but.....)

i do like what i see of the pics on trademe of the metropolis, nice brown wood tones everywhere and BATHS! in everything they seem to have
    cheapest studios seem to still be above $200K

aprts all in white leave me cold, i think they will date and look very 2nd hand very quickly

the statesman seems a little lower down on the rung than the metropolis, no baths etc, and are priced accordingly

what about others?

Dunn adds that good local apartment buildings like the Heritage and the Metropolis are under-priced.

which Heritage is that, there seem to be a few?

what about a ranking of these buildings

Precinct
    Connaught
    Towerhill
    Quadrant

have i missed any out?
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Metropolis

I'd stick to the 44 m2 or 48 m2 size one bedrooms with a good view.
    They seem to rent for around $450pw these days - 10% gross return.

I'd avoid the 36m2 versions (type 01 and 15) - poor views and hard to rent.

You haven't mentioned Quay West?
    Buying for quality is a good move - I think it's essential with apartments.

Comment

Heritage is a hotel chain. They have two buildings next door to each other in Auckland. The "old" heritage which is built in the old farmers building between nelson and hobson and Heritage towers which is next door.

I am also interested in peoples views on:
      1 Hobson
      H47
      Statesman
      Quay west

These as well as the ones mentioned above appear to be the higher quality tower blocks?
      Last edited by CJ; 15-10-2008, 07:05 AM.

Comment

If you can try and get more than 50 sqm, this will help the re sale value, as a lot of lenders are hung up over this size.
        Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
        My Website
        Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

The docks apartments are particularly nice. Avoid anything under 45m2.

Comment

I like
            h47
            Century on Anzac
            88 anzac
            97 Shortland
            Statesman
            towerhill
            precinct
            Ascent

depending on price and what your after.

I do like quay west as well but I am only familiar with the larger 3 beddy units

Comment

Originally posted by freeloader View Post
              The docks apartments are particularly nice. Avoid anything under 45m2.
              I thought these were leasehold and all owned by blue chip investors. I went looking as a tenant and it was like a ghost town (I think it had only just opened as the central air system wasn't on yet).

Comment

1 parliament street
                14 waterloo quadrant
                5 parliament at (character)
                9-11 parliament streer (character)
                Silo apartments in Emily place (corner Emily and shortland st)

The Statesmen is a quality apartment so I have heard. Silo is a character building and is also supposed to be quality.

Feel free to email me and I can send you some recent sales in buildings you are interested in to give you an idea of what they are going for - [email protected]

best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I thought these were leasehold and all owned by blue chip investors. I went looking as a tenant and it was like a ghost town (I think it had only just opened as the central air system wasn't on yet).
                  Correct- the land is Leasehold- claimed to be one of the better leases- no long line of developers in the line clipping the ticket, but you don't get much choice if you want CBD waterfront.

I doubt any Blue chip investors would own the Docks, the rental returns don't stack up, & I am not aware of Bluechip marketing them. Aldy Group & KEY2 & others did.

Building manager claims 90% occupancy at present. (It opened this time last year, but many investors were trying to onsell, so didn't put tenants in straight away.)

The Docks is for owner occupiers or investors looking for capital growth on CBD waterfront, who are prepared to carry the rental loss.
                  Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    You are correct CJ

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyDeal View Post
                      1 parliament street
                      14 waterloo quadrant
                      5 parliament at (character)
                      9-11 parliament streer (character)
                      Silo apartments in Emily place (corner Emily and shortland st)

The Statesmen is a quality apartment so I have heard. Silo is a character building and is also supposed to be quality.

Feel free to email me and I can send you some recent sales in buildings you are interested in to give you an idea of what they are going for - [email protected]

best of luck
                      I think the silo has sub 40m apartments which make them a little undesriable. Great looking refurb though.

Comment

Don't forget the carpark

Before the slump, you could value a carpark at 70k.

To be conservative, let's call it 35k now (minimum)

If you buy an apartment with a carpark, you can split the investment: Rent the apartment, and rent the carpark to someone else.

Comment

Go for it but

When you invest, why not try to buy property that will be in short supply as it will appreciate faster. Appartments are easy to build and hence the over supply. Can't see this changing.

Comment

I only know the Auckland CBD, where there are numerous dreadfull eyesores composed of "shoeboxes" (20-30 square metres).

But the point is that these places still get a good demand. You will get a tenant, as long as the price is right.

The issue is whether that price will give you a reasonable return on your money and your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Da Builder View Post
                              Go for it but

When you invest, why not try to buy property that will be in short supply as it will appreciate faster. Appartments are easy to build and hence the over supply. Can't see this changing.
                              Auckland CBD apartments will shortly be in short supply. Very short supply.

Comment

Working...
                              X