Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra person in flat - not on tenancy agreement

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice. We have recently signed up a single tenant in a two bedroom flat and the tenancy agreement explicitly states that no other person is to move in without landlords prior consent. Well, pretty much straight after the tenant moved in they have brought their significant other with them. My other tenant who has a small child and lives in out other flat next door is quite concerned about this as are we as landlords due to us not knowing anything about this person at all and the new tenant not disclosing to us that they had a significant other when they were moving in.

Is there anything we can do about this? The tenant does not know we know this and the affected tenant is quite concerned of us revealing to the other tenant that she informed us of this. I really do not know how best to go about it without telling the tenant that we know someone else is living there who is not on the tenancy agreement but we do not want to cause any issues between our tenants.

Thank you all in advance!

Originally posted by Ceca04 View Post
    Hi

I would really appreciate some advice. We have recently signed up a single tenant in a two bedroom flat and the tenancy agreement explicitly states that no other person is to move in without landlords prior consent. Well, pretty much straight after the tenant moved in they have brought their significant other with them. My other tenant who has a small child and lives in out other flat next door is quite concerned about this as are we as landlords due to us not knowing anything about this person at all and the new tenant not disclosing to us that they had a significant other when they were moving in.

Is there anything we can do about this? The tenant does not know we know this and the affected tenant is quite concerned of us revealing to the other tenant that she informed us of this. I really do not know how best to go about it without telling the tenant that we know someone else is living there who is not on the tenancy agreement but we do not want to cause any issues between our tenants.

Thank you all in advance!
    14 day notice, pronto.

Don't hesitate, delay, or otherwise or they'll start breaking every other rule you've dreamt up.

Comment

I think the poster was / is concerned that the tenant may ask: how did you find out?

Comment

That's right. And how do I respond if they say they're only hanging here sometimes and not living here. I don't just want to issue a 14 day notice without an actual proof.

Comment

Step back a moment. Is it that you are hugely annoyed at being deceived? How critical is it if there is another occupant? I understand that one deception may be the first of many. Aside from that, what is the main problem?

Comment

Not so much about another tenant but about deception. I spoke to her yesterday about an unrelated matter and she did not mention anything at all. The neighbour next door is also concerned because I specifically told her only 2 people are moving in. She's worried about who this person is if the other tenant is hiding him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceca04 View Post
              . . . because I specifically told her only 2 people are moving in . . .
              I presume that's a typo, as you originally said:
              We have recently signed up a single tenant in a two bedroom flat
              Maybe the other person presents badly? But you probably do need to be watchful and mindful of any further truth discrepancies. Are there two vehicles involved?

Comment

Sorry the other tenant has a small kid too that I didn't note. There is enough off-street parking there for 2 cars so that's not an issue. I just really don't know what to do and whether it is even worth pursuing it until something goes wrong which hopefully it won't because I cannot prevent someone from having a relationship.

Comment

Oh. With the child, you have three instead of one.

The (there more often than not) vehicle question related to you having evidence that there seems to be more than one tenant in residence.

I can appreciate your dilemma. If all goes well, I suppose you can just keep a watching brief. But, at the first sign of significant trouble, a 90 day notice to leave may serve you best. Remember to give no reason, if you do issue such a notice.

Perhaps other forumites will chip in with suggestions, next week?

Comment

Thanks for that! I will definitely take it into account.

Comment

Arrange an inspection if you haven't done one recently. To see how things are settling in.

Keep an eye out for signs. Ie. His and her shavers/toothbrushs. Washing on the line. Shoes. Etc. Perhaps if other persons belongings are obviously laying around the question can be raised without suspicion.

Then the terms of the agreement can be repeated and warnings of possible outcomes.
                      Last edited by Learning; 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks. She only got the keys last week so I may arrange an inspection earlier than 3 monthly to check it out.

Comment

I always do my first inspection in the second or third week. That gives enough time for the tenant to test things out. This helps to insure there are no issues that were missed before the tenancy began, like lights not working, windows sticking, oven/hop element not working, etc. Also shows that you are a hands on Landlord.

Comment

That's definitely something to consider. Thank you for that! That's good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                              This helps to insure there are no issues that were missed before the tenancy began, like hop element not working, etc.

Yes - sure. You'd want to be sure that was working properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X