No announcement yet.

Net worth of PTers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you (anyone) ever feel like turning the equity into cash and going on a big trip and throwing a massive party?

Sometimes when the work/life balance is out I just want to escape.

Comment

I have thought about it many a time.

The last time I thought sell some places , pull kids out of school and just cruise overseas for 6 months.

Comment

SurveyGizmo allows you to get up to 250 free responses per month. You could always keep it open for a couple of months to get > 250 people to complete it

Comment

Originally posted by freezinhot View Post
          Hi Whitt

yeah thanks, Dean had told me the same, great minds think alike.

Pretty simple huh! I always try and complicate things.

FH
          That makes me wonder if some members have misunderstood the question and have posted the gross value of their assets and not deducted their mortgages and other debts???

Comment

Originally posted by banana View Post
            Do you (anyone) ever feel like turning the equity into cash and going on a big trip and throwing a massive party?

Sometimes when the work/life balance is out I just want to escape.
            NO!....Committed all the way! Material items as such don't interest me an' i'll stick to the plan!

Comment

Yes
              Was thinking about this alot as I wasn't happy with what I was doing.
              I don't need $1,000,000, TV, paperwork etc. All I wanted was a rest and to get away from the rat race

Have bought a motorhome, rented out my house and now I am traveling NZ working odd jobs.

I don't know how long this will last but I have discovered I have so many more options and no stress

Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by wenlee View Post
                Yes
                Was thinking about this alot as I wasn't happy with what I was doing.
                I don't need $1,000,000, TV, paperwork etc. All I wanted was a rest and to get away from the rat race

Have bought a motorhome, rented out my house and now I am traveling NZ working odd jobs.

I don't know how long this will last but I have discovered I have so many more options and no stress

Wendy
                Hello Wendy,

I'd be interested in hearing more about this new direction of yours.

xris
                Last edited by xris; 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                  Helo Wendy,

I'd be interested in hearing more about this new direction of yours.

xris

Same here! Sounds great!
                  Similar thinking to myself.

Comment

This reminds me of Tim Ferrus and his '4 hour work week focus'. I like the lifestyle choice of working any day and take time off any day so the concept of a 'weekend' is not relevant. It's hard work creating new habits to move away from the 9-5 Mon-Fri mentality....shaking off the guilt feeling and we are a wee way off achieving our goal of a 4 hour work week.

It is encouraging seeing other people jumping into different lifestyles - testing the waters to find out how best to get the most out of life as they know it.

Well done Wendy....maybe you could post regular updates here? We as your property investment online 'family' are very interested in developments.

Cheers,

Donna

....umm you may be near a meet in another region too so check out the Events & Charities forum.
                    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi Wendy so that is why your emails are bouncing back have you done away with that too or are you just not on it much> Good on you anyway.

and Donna, what is a weekend? I thought life was just one big holiday?? feels like it to me these days anyway. Thats why I am not on here as much.
                      TOo busy having fun.

Comment

Hello everyone

Well I only have 3 investments and they more or less look after themselves.
                        The way I look at it they are increasing in equity so when I get back I have more choices

I blame Tim Ferriss. As he says, why wait until you are 60ish for retirement. Have small retirements every so often. That really got me thinking and here I am. Its surprising how little you need

Have been in the Coromandel for about 5 weeks. Te Puru. On the weekend I am moving on around Coromandel then working my way down the east coast.
                        I am traveling with my dog, who has lost a heap of weight, a bonus, as we walk for miles

I am in search of work. So if any of you know of anything going on the east coast, will consider anything.

[email protected]

Comment

Hello everyone

Well I only have 3 investments and they more or less look after themselves.
                          The way I look at it they are increasing in equity so when I get back I have more choices

I blame Tim Ferriss. As he says, why wait until you are 60ish for retirement. Have small retirements every so often. That really got me thinking and here I am. Its surprising how little you need

Have been in the Coromandel for about 5 weeks. Te Puru. On the weekend I am moving on around Coromandel then working my way down the east coast.
                          I am traveling with my dog, who has lost a heap of weight, a bonus, as we walk for miles

I am in search of work. So if any of you know of anything going on the east coast, will consider anything.

[email protected]

Wendy,

Howz about an update on where you're at?

Howz the travelling and work goin?

Are you in the south island yet?,....theres always plenty of work down here!

Glen.

Comment

Update

Well for the past couple of months I have been in the beautiful Hawkes Bay.

Mainly Taradale and Napier. Art Deco weekend is a must if you have never experienced it
                            People dress up in 20's 30's clothes, and get into a 1930's art deco theme which lasts about 5 days. The weather was perfect for the event. Heaps to do and see which adds up to a wonderful ambience

The laid back atmosphere in Hawkes Bay is a real change from Auck plus the colourful houses with little or no grafitti disgracing the community is a breath of fresh air

Work has been apple picking, it is very hard work and not very well paid. The benefits to me are Physically I can mix it with people half my age , Eating REALLY fresh fruit and veges, meeting some lovely people from all over the world and my dog thinks she is in heaven having the run of the orchard

For me this is a great way of sitting tight and see how things pan out

The motorhome is insulated si it doesn't get really cold or hot

All in all I am enjoying this experience and would do it again

I'll be on the move in a couple of weeks so i'll write again soon

Wendy

Comment

Well for the past couple of months I have been in the beautiful Hawkes Bay.

Mainly Taradale and Napier. Art Deco weekend is a must if you have never experienced it
                              People dress up in 20's 30's clothes, and get into a 1930's art deco theme which lasts about 5 days. The weather was perfect for the event. Heaps to do and see which adds up to a wonderful ambience

The laid back atmosphere in Hawkes Bay is a real change from Auck plus the colourful houses with little or no grafitti disgracing the community is a breath of fresh air

Work has been apple picking, it is very hard work and not very well paid. The benefits to me are Physically I can mix it with people half my age , Eating REALLY fresh fruit and veges, meeting some lovely people from all over the world and my dog thinks she is in heaven having the run of the orchard

For me this is a great way of sitting tight and see how things pan out

The motorhome is insulated si it doesn't get really cold or hot

All in all I am enjoying this experience and would do it again

I'll be on the move in a couple of weeks so i'll write again soon

Wendy

Awesome stuff! Sounds Great!

We hire a 4/5/6 berth motorhome(whatever's available) every year at least a couple of times during the off season for 1 or 2 weeks each time, and take the kids out of school and cruise round the south island, but nothing like what you're doing.

We love the freedom, and the feeling of being somewhere different each day, or finding someplace cool and staying put.....and we take the dogs (2 jack russells) who just love the running 'round on beach an bush.

This year we're off up Wellington way in a couple of weeks, for 2 weeks, and then 8 weeks later in July we're heading south for iceskating on the lakes, and biking over the mountains (Haast Pass etc), then up the whole of the west coast to Karamea, and then back through Lewis Pass, over to Kaikoura, and back to Christchurch.
                              You gotta love NZ aye, you have beach, bush, mountains, tracks, vineyards, cities etc all within a couple or three hours between each!

Keep us posted on your adventure

Glen

Comment

Back to the thread, I wonder how many people are downgrading their nett worth now that the market seems to have turned.

I also wonder how many people include selling costs on the debt side of the ledger when they work out their nett worth. These can be significant and include agent costs, legal costs, advertising/marketing costs, reclaimed depreciation, and costs for breaking fixed term loans.

If any of you intend to turn your investments into cash these are real costs you will incur. Your true nett worth, in cash, will be far less than your selling price less your debt.

Julian
                                Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Working...
                                X