confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused

Hi, I am a confused hopeful soon to be new property investor.
    I have read a few books, I have appointments to see an accountant and have spoken to other property investors and now am more confused as to whether I should purchase in my own name or a LAQC.
    I own my own home (no mortgage), have no partner or dependents. I am interested in buying a managed unit in a small tourist town with a view to buying other rental houses in the future in the city.

One other basic question - if a property is zero rated and purchased as a going concern does that mean I would have to be GST registered, do I pay the GST on purchase and then claim it back or would the GST be paid when I sell in the future (10yrs+).
    I have read that LAQC's are not able to register for GST as no GST is applicable to domestic rental. What happens with the purchase of a managed unit - is this counted as domestic or business rental.
    Thanks for reading this and hopefully clearing up some of my confusion.

Hi Dinky,

A warm welcome to PT

LAQC can be registered for GST. Mine is like that.
    There has been a number of past discussions on the merits of LAQC. Here are two:

Minimsing personal tax with LAQC

Starting out investor

See if that helps. You can also use the Search function to search for this subject.

Comment

Hi Dinky

Two questions
      1. Have you discussed what you want to do with an accountant?

2. Do you work for a wage?

Regards
      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

confused

Hi, Thanks for your replies and suggested links.
        Yes I do work for a wage - in the 39% tax bracket. I had an informal discussion with an accountant who suggested that I wouldn't need an LAQC but then also stated that it would provide me with some potential advantages. (that's why I am a bit confused).

There may be a potential short-term negative cashflow on the property so I realise that I need to look at capital gain when selling in the future.

All help gratefully received. Dinks.

Comment

Working...
        X