Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Lines

Hi all,
    Has anyone had bought a IP under the paylons. i have been given the opportuinity to buy a 3 bedroom house in Massey for about 220k. Are these houses easily rentable?

Any suggestions, recomendations, comments would be really appreciated.
    Avinesh
    If I have seen further than others,
    it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants. Isaac Newton

These places are particularly good for families with lots of children as there is a jungle-gym in the front yard for them to play on. A little bit of radiation never hurt anybody - so what if they can't have children.

Seriously, these places can be very hard to sell at anything like market prices for comparible properties without the pylons. And a lot of people simply would NOT live in them.

Julian
    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Hi Scarface,

Last week (on both TV1 & TV3 7pm shows) concerned Housing NZ tenants who live under pylons complained about the negative effects that these power lines are impacting on their health, (viz) headaches etc.

Julian:

Seriously, these places can be very hard to sell at anything like market prices for comparible properties without the pylons. And a lot of people simply would NOT live in them.
      Yes I agree, absolutely!

Cheers

Comment

I looked into this several years ago.
        Yes extremely hard to sell during a normal NZ property market that is not in a boom. Thus people are able to get them sometimes at a good price. This could mean you get higher yeilds than other surrounding houses if you manage to let it quickly.

When I looked a UK study on pylons VS persons health was being complete and the results were released. The statistics were bad it seems there are higher chances of health problems in surrounding properties. They beleive it is due to pollutants being attracted to the surrounding air around the wires. These then drop on properties near by. Other studies are beginning to find a similar trend here in NZ.

It is up to yourself if you decide on purchasing near a pylon but you now have all the facts.

Comment

Thank you all. Would be a bit hard to sleep at night I guess, knowing the facts.
          Avinesh
          If I have seen further than others,
          it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants. Isaac Newton

Comment

Hi Scarface, as has already been said, the recent publicity makes this a bad idea. However many of us grew up under powerlines and other than the odd additional limb and glowing in the dark, we're all normal!!

Comment

Found this information while browsing the internet. Read with an open mind

STATING THE OBVIOUS: PYLONS 'MAY BE LEUKAEMIA RISK'

'A major study found children who had lived within 200m of high voltage
              lines at birth had a 70% higher risk of leukaemia than those 600m or
              more away. But the Oxford University team stressed that there are no
              accepted biological reasons for the results and that they may,
              therefore, be chance.'
              Oh really? Thanks for telling us.
              Intelligent life calling Planet Earth:
              1.) The body is series of magnetic/electrical fields.
              2.) The magnetic/electrical fields given off from the power cables etc.
              disrupt the harmony of those in the body and thus cause diseases like
              cancer, which is caused by a scrambling of communications to and within
              the cells.
              In the same way a radio is disrupted when we go near power lines, so it
              is with the body. Long-term exposure means long term disruption and a
              far greater chance of fundamental disharmony - dis-ease.
              There is no MAY about it. Living close to these power lines causes
              illness and the very fact that science is still saying 'may' or 'we
              don't know why' is nothing short of pathetic.'
              I would personally stay away from properties near the pylons.

Andre
              What you think of me is none of my business - T.Cole-Whittaker

Comment

I'm with pooomba on this. Media hype means I would not buy one with the actual pylon on the section but the hype is way out of proportion with the risks.

<rave>

My PPOR (heh) has overhead lines close to it. So does my in-law’s.

Guess what? My mother in-law died! Quick - call the Holmes show!!! People who live in normal houses never die!

The recent rubbish on the TV plays on the fact that your average NZder can get all the way through school and still not understand that “correlation does not imply causation”.

If all the electromagnetic radiation around us was visible, we would not be able to see an inch in front of us. We are entirely surrounded by it. The effects of it can’t be too bad as our life expectancy is still better than it was *before* we bombarded ourselves with electromagnetic radiation.

</rave>

Regards
                Cadmium

Comment

My guess is the rent might be down 10-20% for a house under some pylons, but the purchase price is probably down 30-40%. This potentially is very good for investors as the return on investment is much higher.
                  Julian
                  Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

I don't think that I'd purchase a house in that sort of location under any circumstances. There's some local people advertising a house on trademe that is situated right beside an uncovered sub station the size of a house. Unfortunately for them they've already bought elsewhere. The price they're asking would normally be reasonable but I'd be amazed if it sells for anything like it.
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Working...
                    X