Book recommendations for new investors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations for new investors

Hi guys, I'm looking to start investing in the property market. I have a bit of experience with shares and found out the importance of risk management as well as the dangers of leverage quite quickly, so I suppose I'm not completely new.

Does anyone have property books they would recommend? As a start I purchased "Building wealth through property investment" by Jan Somers and Dolf de Roos, and also "Location Location" by Michael J Boulgaris.

I'm definitely looking to invest rather than trade, trading CFDs with borrowed money has already given me enough headaches.

Read these forums for all the info you can get. I had lots of books to get me started. Rich Dad Poor Dad gave me the momentum. Steve Mcknight's 100 properties in 3 and 1/2 years. Jonathon Livingston Seagull. Anything to advance my knowledge.
    [email protected]

Comment

This book is the best introductory book I have read.

Comment

Wow - we could keep you busy for years with reading these forums with investors 'doing it now' and for books try these renown NZ residential real estate authors: Andrew King; Olly Newland; Kieran Trass; Lisa Dudson; Graeme Fowler; Martin Hawes for starters.

cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Thanks a lot guys...

Vacuuming up all these books from Trademe as we speak

Also got "Massive Profits in Real Estate" too.
          Last edited by AMR; 12-05-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Geeze some good buys on TM. Looks like recession hitting and investors flogging off stuff.
            Or maybe it is the books true values??

Comment

I always found the Bob Jones property books very good too, then later on really got into Russ Whitney you may have search a little for that one.

Steve

Comment

Wow thanks for everything here.

I have purchased everything suggested.

Does anyone have a title which is more specific for do-ups i.e step by step renovations...carpeting, applying wall paper, replastering walls, etc?

Or can someone suggest a night class in Auckland which teaches you this?

Comment

The Reader's Digest to Home Improvements.

Available on TradeMe from time to time.

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvements Ideas for the Home, Buying and Planning, Techniques , tools and materials Soft cover, 448 Pages, Print...

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvements. 448 pages of Ideas for the home, buying & planning & techniques, tools & materials. A very helpful b...

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvement This book is in excellent condition, Hard Back, 448 pages, measuring 310mm * 240mm. Published 1990 s...

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvements Ideas for the Home, Buying and Planning, Techniques , tools and materials Hard Bound, Pages:448 Expla...

THE READERS DIGEST COMPLETE GUIDE TO HOME IMPROVEMENTS. This book shows it all! How to do almost anything round the home well and without stress. Most people kn...
                  Last edited by muppet; 16-05-2009, 02:07 PM.
                  "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Been reading a lot lately. Dymocks in the CBD are closing down and marking down their books (including real estate) by 50%.

Got "Property Law" by Tony Steindle, "Property Tax" by Mark Withers, and "How to Survive a falling marking" published by Empower. Will post book reviews once I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by AMR View Post
                      Got "Property Law" by Tony Steindle, "Property Tax" by Mark Withers, and "How to Survive a falling marking" published by Empower. Will post book reviews once I'm done.
                      50% off? Good score! Will be interested to read your review/comments.
                      - cheers, Peter
                      (Now, if you can just buy your investment properties at something like that discount...)
                      Peter Aranyi
                      Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

Tried to buy a book off your website today Peter.
                        Only got errors when pressing the submit button.

Hope I didn't get charged multiple times!
                        Is it just me?
                        (it often is - something about technology & ID 10 T errors)
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Thanks PC. Not your fault, and not just you.
                          Temporarily, we have the highly technical equivalent of a flat tyre in the EE web ordering system. Bofffins are repairing it now.
                          No charging! -- But no book either.:-)

UPDATE (12/6/09 10:20 AM): All fixed! Whew! Thanks again, PC. (& Thanks boffins!) Cheers, Peter
                          Last edited by PeterEmpowerEd; 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: Update to say whew!
                          Peter Aranyi
                          Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

Hi,

I recommend forums, blogs rather than any book. It can provide you expert's opinion and experiences. You can also find many web based tips and guides about it.

Comment

is there a good book that goes into positive gearing/yelds etc and the formulas etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X