Mexicans with Cellphones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexicans with Cellphones!

Highly offended that this saying was used to describe my fellow countrymen!

The offender was an American describing the New Zealanders working on the film - Lord of the Rings. In response to overhearing this comment being made - a group of the NZ'ers arrived the next day on Set with fresh T-Shirts proudly displaying "Mexicans with Cellphones".

Umm and I thought it was an insult....

Regards,

Donna
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Hi,

DoonaK if this offends you then I suggest that you do not go to the Otara (a type of flea market in South Auckland) markets where the t-shirt screen printing trade is very much alive.

The prints are take offs from popular brand names mixed with Polynesian and Maori stereotypes. The locals wear them with pride and they look really good.

Wada

Comment

Wada,

Umm....it was the comment that was offensive, not the displaying of it on T Shirts!

Basically, the Americans don't think highly of Mexicans and therefore calling NZ'rs Mexicans is not nice. Kiwi's however tend to look on the bright side of life and turned it into a joke. (that's the way I viewed it!)

Cheers,

Donna
      SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Donnak,

Totally agree with your comment
        Kiwi's however tend to look on the bright side of life and turned it into a joke.
        The locals I was referring to talk some real trash to each other and it's hilarious. If an outsider tried to join in with the banter then they would most likely be called a racist etc... I've seen this happen and the fireworks display that resulted was quite spectacular.

therefore calling NZ'rs Mexicans is not nice.
        Do Mexicans who live in USA think like this too? Or do Americans (generalization here!) group Mexicans together regardless of where they are born?

Comment

Too bloody right I would have turned up the next day with a shirt saying Mexican with cellphone and bottle of Tequilla!
          Dont call me I'll call you.....HIC!

And an extra shirt for waha nui (Big mouth) that said BEWARE!! American suffering from "Foot in Mouth".

Regards,
          Marcus.

Comment

Working...
          X