Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest place on earth for IP's

Yo,

Heres another question that I find interesting.

What country do you think is the best for property investment? And what does "Best" mean for you?

me? I like NZ cos its still cheap and anything I buy there will more than likely increase in value.

best) no one is trying to blow up the locals, its clean and green and the sheep are whiter than the stinky smelly brown Aussie ones.

the last bit was a joke by the way - don't look too deep into that one.

larry

To be honest I have never researched other countries.

I think NZ is a great place to live because it has a clean green-ish environment, and not too crowded (yet). It is interesting that a lot of young families move to NZ because they see it as a good place to raise a family.

But best of all for investment purposes, I live here, so I get the chance to very easily research the local areas by going for a Sunday drive. Often I dont even have to do that, because you get a feel for the areas over time by reading the papers or hearing the news. You also get a feel for the economy. I cant see much reason to look further away other than the tax deductible holiday - I mean research visit.

Comment

Land of .......

READ my LIPS " No Capital Gains TAX "

NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND

Comment

Does it really matter if you pay CGT?
        It shows you are still making a profit !!

I know you get to keep more of what you make but there are many other advantages of investing offshore.

Never be afraid of making money.

Comment

Does it really matter if you pay CGT?
          Given the choice I would rather not pay CGT, so for me I guess it does matter.

It shows you are still making a profit !!
          I would still prefer that someone else not take a piece of it (profit), espescially if that profit has not been realised through sale.

Regards,
          Marcus.

Comment

I think it is more the point inzvestor not to be afraid to pay tax, because that means you are making money. Ordinary tax that is, G.S.T income tax etc.

C.G.T is like the recently proposed Fart tax on farmers, it is purely about revenue gathering with no real relevance to the business in question.

The Govt should be providing incentives to Property investors since creating quality rental accomadation for the masses is something that they are woefully unable to provide. They NEED us to take the risks and spend the money for them. We should be encouraged not penalised for providing this essential service.

Too many low income families cannot afford quality rentals and have to go on waiting lists for state provided homes, living in garages etc in overcrowded living conditions. The state do not know how to manage their housing stock well and we have stupid situations such as a state house in an upmarket suburb worth $600,000 with tenants paying $100 a week. Surely it would be better to sell the asset and provide 12 more properties each with a $50.000 deposit and a low rental that covers the mortgage?

Better still make it in the investors interests to provide low rents with cash or tax incentives. It would still work out cheaper than the current mess.

Go Girl

Comment

I think it is more the point inzvestor not to be afraid to pay tax, because that means you are making money. Ordinary tax that is, G.S.T income tax etc.
              Are you suggesting Inzvestor does not know the difference between CGT and Income tax?

And being long term residential PI's we are not subjected to the 's of GST.

C.G.T is like the recently proposed Fart tax on farmers, it is purely about revenue gathering with no real relevance to the business in question.
              CGT unlike the "fart tax" (which was actually more of a "burp tax" Pardies) is very real and relevant for some people/business' in NZ. It is a normal part of their financial business that they must allow for.

All taxes are, as you put it "purely revenue gathering".

regards,
              Marcus.

Comment

Reply frm GoGirl

Of course I was not insinuating that Inzvestor did not know the difference, I was simply clarifying which tax I am happy to pay and which I am not.

I never said you had to pay G.S.T as a long term Property investor. I stated which taxes I have no problem paying! I own a business as well as IPs so G.S.T is certainly part of my life. The business cashflow funds the IPs in my case.

Sure all tax is revenue gathering as we need the govt to get the funds to build roads maintain hospitals etc etc. However tax should not discourage business ( and I consider m y IPs a business as much as my Security Company) since businesses create employment etc.

When I lived in Melbourne C.G.T stopped me providing employment for builders, painters and other tradesmen. In NZ however I give them regular work. As well as IPs I do Flips, something that is hardly worth it in a C.G.T environment.

Anyway
                Merry Christmas

Comment

GoGirl

Re: your points about what the government should do. I absolutely agree if the government had any kind of long-sighted view that is what they would do. And people all over the world say this about their own governments and the governments do what is best for them in the short term, ie collect revenue from the biggest groups they can.

I think NZ is a good place to invest:
                  no CGT/inheritance tax
                  reasonable income tax
                  NO STAMP DUTY
                  fairly simple business structures (average purchase in UK takes 2-3 months with bureaucracy attached)
                  positive cashflow easily achieved
                  growth nowhere near as bad as larger countries assume
                  relatively stable economy

This is overlooking whether or not I know the market as that is knowledge that can be gained if necessary.

I think it is better than many parts of Australia for the reasons above (mostly the positive cashflow one).

I also think the US is a very good place to invest as their financial structures are a lot more fluid and lend themselves to more creative financing, so you can get higher/different forms of leverage. There is a wide range of property there (big country) and housing seems to be of very good quality

I am investing in the UK because that is where I am, but also because they speak the same language as me and have a strong currency relative to anywhere else. This is gearing up for a global lifestyle - if I can afford to live frugally off my investments in the UK I can afford to live very well just about anywhere else! Also I think the UK has strong growth prospects over the long term and a stable, thousand-year-old economy. However it has layers of taxes and bureaucracy that are tiresome and discouraging.

Have looked briefly at European countries (wouldnt' it be cool...) but yields not overly high and harder to do business unless you are savvy with how things are done/the language. I would be willing to do this if I thought the investment was worth it. However, a huge percentage of renters compared to NZ.

my 2 cents,
                  Leanne

Comment

Working...
                  X