Dodgy Real Estate Agents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Real Estate Agents!

Seeing is believing - or maybe not? From the Sideswipe columns in the NZ Herald this week:

Barry has a yarn about an underhand real estate agent. "A family member recently purchased a house in Glendowie, Auckland. Prior to purchase the house was visited a number of times by the real estate agent, who spread his paperwork out on the bench in exactly the same place on each visit. It was noticed after eventual purchase that the place where the real estate agent had spread his paperwork had a great scorch-mark on the Formica about the size of a dinner plate. How low can you go?"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/column/sto...ectid=10479357
    ...how about this one from the latest Central Property Press: "If you look carefully at the power and phone wires that emerge from under the gable of the house you'll see that they disappear when they reach the edge of the roofline. Where could they have gone? Could they possibly have been Photoshopped out?

I wonder what other little touches the agent might have made to sex-up this house ad? And I now wonder if a little Photoshop magic isn't applied to most house pictures. I guess it's not unreasonable to lighten up a dark image or tone down one that's too bright, but should physical features be removed (or added)?"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/column/sto...ectid=10479644
    ..Mike of Mt Eden writes: "I saw a photo of a house I used to flat in four years previously for sale. The owners had done the place up and I admired what they had done with the interior but then I did a double take.

One of the interior photos showed a beach view through the window indicating that the beach was at most a couple of hundred metres away. Having lived in the house for three years I can validate that the house has a sea view, but it is at least 1.5km from the sea and you definitely can't see the beach.

Inquiries among my friends who were selling/buying property at the time showed that the agent with her name on the ad was one of the "top selling agents in the area". Trust a real estate agent? Not likely."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/column/sto...ectid=10480041
    ....Matt says, "You ain't seen nothing yet!" He attaches this photo, which clearly show the picture of the property on the For Sale sign is a lot different from the actual property. It looks as if Photoshop has pulled out a few trees, built a carpark and added a car. Trouble is, the frontage of the property would be lucky to fit a Smart Car."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/column/sto...ectid=10480315
    Lisa

Barry has a yarn about an underhand real estate agent. "A family member recently purchased a house in Glendowie, Auckland. Prior to purchase the house was visited a number of times by the real estate agent, who spread his paperwork out on the bench in exactly the same place on each visit. It was noticed after eventual purchase that the place where the real estate agent had spread his paperwork had a great scorch-mark on the Formica about the size of a dinner plate. How low can you go?"

Is this anything more than clever marketing?

The buyers would have had the right to question this at their final inspection, which is the point of the final inspection. Clearly they did not do this so who is to blame? The buyers I think.

Another piece of cheap jornalism for us to talk about and sigh at.

xris

Comment

My wife and I bought a house 3 years ago. We did a presettlement inspection, and everything was fine.

When we moved in, I thought "that is strange, they have left a plunger in the bathtub. When I moved the plunger there was a big hole in the bottom of the bath. I then realised that the plunger had been there all along, strategically placed to cover the hole, and I had never bothered moving it.

I thought this was sneaky, but realised that the final responsibility lay with me to do my checks properly.

Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul

Would that not be covered under the warranty clause in the S&P.
        I'm sick of the crumbs i want a piece of that pie

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
          My wife and I bought a house 3 years ago. We did a presettlement inspection, and everything was fine.

When we moved in, I thought "that is strange, they have left a plunger in the bathtub. When I moved the plunger there was a big hole in the bottom of the bath. I then realised that the plunger had been there all along, strategically placed to cover the hole, and I had never bothered moving it.

I thought this was sneaky, but realised that the final responsibility lay with me to do my checks properly.

Paul.
          I was given a disapproving look once at the TT because I said I preferred to do my final inspections alone, at least before signing off. My reason was that it is not easy to do a proper final inspection with a tenant breathing down your neck and trying to move you away from a hole in the wall they have tried to hide by covering with a poster or something else similar. I have been caught out like this before and it hurts. A month ago it happened again with broken spoating carfully taped together. A phone call from the new tenants just after the first big wind gust led to my being $250 out of pocket. And I get a disapproving look for being overly cautious at final inspection time?

xris

Comment

Originally posted by cantthinkofanickname View Post
            Hi Paul

Would that not be covered under the warranty clause in the S&P.
            I'm not sure CTOANN.

I never bothered worrying about this, as I figured it was my faul for not doing a thorough inspection.

It cost $160 for a new bath, which took me all of 30 minutes to install.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
            X