No announcement yet.

What do you think about buying property in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all bad for multiple purchases - but for single purchases it's not recommended according to this offshore investor - http://churl.co/7al

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it was worth anybody going overseas to just buy one home. Too many compliance costs. I decided to stick to the USA because of that in New Zealand. You have to have enough return to achieve a decent hurdle rate after expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissindat View Post
        Too many compliance costs. I decided to stick to the USA because of that in New Zealand.
        What compliance costs made NZ too expensive for you?

Comment

Well combine your interest points, the accounting/legal fees, property taxes and added tax complications back home it just became to marginal. If I could convince myself your values will head north again soon I might be tempted but the last 12 months have seen things get so good in my own back yard I decided to stay put for now.

Comment

an "economic tsunami'' looks set to hit world markets, American economic forecaster Harry Dent says.

Mr Dent, who arrived in Australia today, predicts the world will experience a second, deeper downturn, which will arrive between the beginning and the middle of next year.

Starting in Europe, the downturn will spread to the US.....
            from another post on propertytalk

more good property hunting at home wherever that may be.

cheers,

donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

From the same article:

"Once we write down all these crazy debts, we are going to destroy a lot of dollars that were created in the boom and that makes the (US) dollar a lot more valuable.''
              AMEN!

Comment

No, we have no limits on foreign ownership at all.

Comment

I can just tell you that the rental business is great in the Midwest. Your tax costs tend to be lower and your stock of older but well maintained properties are better than in the coastal cities. You should make partners with some CDCs (Community Development Corporations) these non-profits are dropping stimulus dollars into a lot of very concentrated little dilapidated neighborhoods. The properties around them will benefit from these Neighborhood Stabilization grants and be very rent-able almost immediately.

Comment

Dilapidated neighbourhoods = projects and ghettos often. I'd be very careful about that!! You can buy inventory in great areas, no need to take a high risk approach Sweater.

Comment

I don't disagree that these need to be eyed very carefully, but the NSP funds have now made over complete neighborhoods. Upgraded property stock in what were run-down islands in the middle of better neighborhoods. One of the best things to look for in these situations is whether the city has invested in any neighborhood improvements (sidewalks, pocket parks, green spaces, bike lanes...) these are the signs of a major neighborhood shift. If the CDC has done this work with the city on board, properties in this section are undervalued compared to their value in 2 years and make great rental stock. Often keeping maintenance costs low as well.

Comment

60,000 homes empty in detroit

as a 1/4 of the city has left

but maybe it's getting better?

http://www.economist.com/node/21533407
                        have you defeated them?
                        your demons

Comment

60,000 homes empty in detroit

as a 1/4 of the city has left

but maybe it's getting better?

http://www.economist.com/node/21533407
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

I don't personally buy in Detroit but one of my cash lenders from Hong kong now owns 37 homes there are section 8( government assistance payment program in the USA) and cash flow. I don't see that market as an appreciation market just long term cash flow.

For me markets like Atlanta , and Charlotte are where we are investing. We are looking at holding for 5 to 10 years while cash flowing and hoping for future appreciation.( which is speculative at the current time)

Feel free email me if want to chat about current market trends in the USA ....

sincerely

Alex

Comment

As the every coin has got two side such as head and tail same real estate investment has got good and bad experience. It all depend on the marketm, sometimes market goes up and sometime its goes down. As i consider that investing in US real estate is always a good idea as it gives good profit and there is small % of chance to get loss.

Comment

Working...
                              X