Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eri
    replied
    strange that you are so reluctant to take any pictures, normally renovators are keen to record their before and after efforts

Leave a comment:

• Austrokiwi
    replied
    NOw I am finding this one a bit hard to believe................but assuming its all true................... I used to be cynical about things like Tapu lifting and exorcisms.............. Leaving the supernatural behind and just looking at peoples behaviour places where bad things have happened give people the creeps.............. It s just their perception........... If you were in NZ I would suggest you go to the local Maori and ask to have a Tapu lifted Make it nice and public............. As your not in NZ then the next best thing is go to the local native american group tell them the problem and ask them to perform a ceremony.......... Invite the furnace guy realestate agent and neighbours especially the gossipy ones.

Leave a comment:

• exnzpat
    replied
    Day 3

I got a good night sleep last night – no noisy neighbors. Perhaps yesterday’s introduction to my neighbor Jim put him on notice.

See – no ghosts. Perhaps the scream I heard the night before was Matt Gilligan, seeing the Sponge Bay thread back up atop the pile – you never know.

Anyway…

I had a slight headache but that was probably due to the polyurethane coat I put on the Master bedroom floor last night -- dust and chemical -- a recipe for pain.

The Master Bedroom is complete except for the final coat of paint. Mrs. Exnzpat and the kids will be up on Saturday and will decide on the colors for the house interior. So, I’ll continue sleeping in the dining room for now.

Wallpaper is a curious substance. Why do people use it? Who was the first guy to say, “I think this red rum swizzle of a floral arrangement is going to look real good plastered onto all four walls of this room.” It’s sticky and is a difficult to remove once up. I wonder; do people have regrets after putting it up? Some people like wallpaper, others do not. I am definitely in the latter camp. So, because of the cost for the rental of the wall-paper remover (approx $30USD a day which if I remember correctly, in New Zealand, when I did a house down there was approx $30NZD per day) I decided to do nothing but strip wallpaper -- until it’s all off.

At 9am the Furnace and Air-conditioning man showed up! Thank goodness. He seemed a little skittish but apparently ten years ago he had actually installed the unit himself. I followed him down into the basement where the furnace and water heater is. He went to work removing panels and cleaning. He was not very talkative but I offered him some coffee and he seemed grateful for the offer so I turned to go back upstairs to the kitchen and he said something very strange. “You’re not going to leave me are you?”

“I’m just going to make the coffee.” He seemed to ponder this and then said “I had hoped you would wait until I was done down here – I’ll only be a few minutes.”

OK…

He took about twenty minutes. Finally, after looking over the gas hot water heater, which he said would need to be replaced in less than two years; we went upstairs into the kitchen. While I made the coffee he went out the backdoor and began the inspection of the air-conditioning unit. I took his coffee out to him. In the light of the day he became quite chatty.

“Sorry, I acted a little weird down in the basement just now. But, I had a bad experience at this house when I originally installed the unit ten or so years back.” He paused. “You know about the murders, right?”

“Murders?”

“You’re kidding? You bought this place and don’t know about the murders?” He said it a little too incredulously.

“About thirty years ago. A few years after this place, and this whole neighborhood was built, the guy who owned this place went crazy and took an axe and killed his wife and kid here. Everyone knows about it.”

Apparently, everyone but me.

“Is that’s why you couldn’t get anyone over here for the last few days?” I asked.

“Yeah, this place creeps most people out – none of my guys wanted to come here. Man, I bet you got a good price on this place.”

He went on. “Yeah, the last time I was here I had to go up into the attic to work on some ducting up there and I swear to God that as I was climbing down from the ceiling access I felt something grab my ankle and a voice yelled “Oh, no you don’t!” at me. There was no one there, of course. It scared the crap out of me and I’ve never been back…well, until now.” He said this last part reflectively looking up at the back-side of the house.

He finished his coffee and handed me his cup. “Thanks for the coffee I’ll send you the bill.” He made his way out to the street through the side yard. I sat down on the deck and rubbed Lincoln’s ears and thought about what he said. All of a sudden the house took on a different look, a bias if you like. Isn’t that an odd thing – how a house can almost have a personality. Damn!

I spent the rest of the day stripping wallpaper. I finished late. I’m too tired to worry about superstitious Furnace and Air-conditioning men and disembodied voices!

Well, what do you think? What advice can one give to someone who may have just purchased a blighted house? I did not say haunted. That was BlueKiwi. I don’t believe in all that nonsense. But, I do believe in “history” and the way people “talk.” A house is merely a house – sticks and stones; where are the bones? It’s people who put the bones in them. A story of a haunting has the very practical nature of lowering the equity and value of my house (investment). This is about money -- not the gabbing of silly Furnace and Air Conditioning Men.

Leave a comment:

• drelly
    replied
    This is sounding like an "ancient lost maori canoe" story!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Kane
    replied
    the dog has got rabies....and there's a maze in the back yard....
    in the basement there's a coffin....and a humming noise coming from the furnace...
    a clown just walked past the carport...

Leave a comment:

• tpr2
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterEmpowerEd View Post
    I agree. Vaguely Stephen King.
    Keep it coming, ex.
    (I just hope the story doesn't get cut off by ... WHAT'S THAT? WHO'S THERE?!!?.....)
    lol...that's what I was thinking too...

Leave a comment:

• PeterEmpowerEd
    replied
    Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
    very nice writing expat
    I agree. Vaguely Stephen King.
    Keep it coming, ex.
    (I just hope the story doesn't get cut off by ... WHAT'S THAT? WHO'S THERE?!!?.....)

Leave a comment:

• tpr2
    replied
    very nice writing expat

Leave a comment:

• Bluekiwi
    replied
    Ignoring the fact you have obviously bought a haunted house expat I find your updates very interesting.....

Keep building up your portfolio and you will have Matt Gilligan stalking YOUR posts

Leave a comment:

• exnzpat
    replied
    Day 2

Woke up early this morning, through the fog of sleep; it sounded like a woman was screaming. It was so loud it sounded like it was coming from inside the house, but must have been coming from the house next door. Perhaps, the old neighborhood was not what I remember! It was still dark outside so I called the cops – just in case – but they never showed up. Hmmm… looks like I’ll need to keep an eye on those neighbors!

Over a hot cup of coffee I used the early morning to watch my neighbors going to work. They all seemed pretty normal. About 7am a man and a teenage boy emerged from the house next door. On the pretense of getting a tool from the truck I went over and said “hello.” The boy petted Lincoln who (of course) enjoyed the attention. The man’s name is Jim and he works at the local car dealership as a mechanic. His son’s name was Michael and the two lived together. The mother, it seemed, lived across town. Jim was divorced. I mentioned the scream from last night. Before his father could answer the boy interrupted and said that he was going to be late for his camp. They got into their car and drove slowly down the driveway out onto the street.

I wonder what they are hiding in there. I thought, looking at their house.

That was enough snooping for the day. Jim’s house has pretty much the same floor plan as mine. If they are hiding something then it should be more obvious. These are not big houses.

My eyes and ears are what I use to absorb my world. I record it thus. Though, I will admit, that the idea of a camera has crossed my mind. But, some pictures are not worth a thousand words. Diary form is all I have. I’ll do my best but let me ask you, isn’t a poem just an efficient and succinct version of a short story? And isn’t a short story just a more efficient and succinct version of a novel? But no matter the story -- there are some that -- just when you think you know the ending – can surprise you. Before and after shots are all good and well but this is just a simple rehab of a little home, that in a few weeks will need renters. But like they say: “it’s not over until the fat lady sings” and there’s still a long way to go yet.

The Furnace and Air-conditioning man hasn’t shown up yet. Already, two hours late. I called the shop and they said they were now having difficulty finding someone. They called me back and promised that someone would be there around 4pm.

I went back to work. I inspected my work from last night and decided that the Master bedroom would need another coat on the wall. It only took an hour. Then something strange happened. As I was cleaning up my rollers and brushes in the kitchen I swear I heard a child sobbing. Lincoln heard it too. His ears picked-up and he followed the sound out of the kitchen and into the hallway that led to the three bedrooms. I followed Lincoln. Though, he stopped short of the hallway and would go no further. The sound was coming from the back bedroom; the smallest of the three. I walked around Lincoln who just stared up at me with that worried Lab look in his eyes. As I approached the bedroom door the sound stopped. “Who’s there?” I shouted. Nothing. The bedroom was empty. Very odd, and I might add; creepy.

The Furnace and Air-conditioning man still hasn’t shown. However, the owner of the company promised me that he would be over first thing in the morning and do the work himself. Hmmm… See, its unexpected annoyances like this that can throw you off. The furnace and air conditioner are fairly new and are probably in good shape, and while they seem to be working fine – they need to be serviced – and these local-yokels have already delayed my schedule by two days! Ahrrrr…

I spent the evening tearing out the carpet in the Master bedroom and used high gloss white paint on the baseboards. I dumped the old carpet, along with the rest of my growing pile of garbage, in the carport next to the truck. In a few days time I’m having a dumpster delivered and that will take the place of my “pile.”

So far the Master bedroom looks pretty good. The hardwood beneath the carpet was new, probably only a few years old (something I checked before buying the house) is in good shape and will only need a very light sanding and a quick polyurethane coat. I’ll try and do it tonight before bed.
    Last edited by exnzpat; 17-06-2009, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tpr2
    replied
    great idea whitt, pics would be great

Leave a comment:

• Bluekiwi
    replied
    Originally posted by Heg View Post
    Why? .......
    Manly love triggers my homo phobia

Leave a comment:

• whitt
    replied
    Yippee Pt loves these stories.
    Did you remember your digital camera so we can all follow along?

Leave a comment:

• muppet
    replied
    Looking forward to more episodes to this story ex, so have made it a sticky.

Leave a comment:

• sarahd
    replied
    Ah D.I.Y.... I miss it....NOT!!!

But I like hearing OTHER people's stories so keep going EXNZPAT!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X