Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option to Purchase - Deal Structure

Hello all,

I have a buyer interested in purchasing a commercial property from me for development. I am seeking advice and critique on an 'option to purchase' structure I am putting together.

While very interested in the property, the buyer is unable to confirm the purchase for at least 3 years, given that their wider $1bn+ project (which this property would be one part of) will not get the green light until then. The challenge for the seller is; they need to have all 'ducks in a row', including having full development permissions, so that as soon as the project gets the go-ahead, construction can commence on this property. As the seller, if I want to make a deal work with this buyer, we need to find a logical solution. Obviously, I will not alienate my property for over 3 years while missing other opportunities, unless I am compensated for doing so.

Please note that the $ figures are 'dummy' figures, but the % figures and dates are correct.

Structure:
    Option to purchase
    Purchase Price $10,000,000
    Option Fee $600,000
    Balance Payment $9,400,000

Payments:
    Payment Payment Date Value
    Option Fee P1 On signature $200,000
    Option Fee P2 30/06/2024 $200,000
    Option Fee P3 30/06/2025 $200,000
    Balance Payment 30/06/2026 $9,400,000

Details:
    • The Option Fee (6%) is non-refundable, so even if the sale does not proceed, the entire 6% remains payable to the seller.
    • The seller would retain the right to lease the property to tenants during the option period, thus generating income from rent and from the Option Fee.
    • The buyer would have the exclusive right to purchase the property until 30/06/2026. At this point, they would need to proceed with the sale, or forfeit the right.

---

I would appreciate feedback on any aspects of this structure, or suggestions you may have on alternative ways to handle this.

Thank you.

Hi Seller127,

Just see your post. How do you do your due diligence to be satisfied the buyer is good for the money? That is the initial $600K?

I’m guessing the buyer may also be a property speculator who can on-sell the property at a profit before time is up and settlement occurs with you.

Is this a likely scenario you’re prepared for?

regards

Donna

SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
    X