Flatmate/landlord do’s and don’t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatmate/landlord do’s and don’t

We recently bought our first home. To help out with the mortgage we got a flatmate/tenant.

Our house is designed in a way where we were able to have one side of the house and the tenant has the whole other side so we are not in each other's space.

The price for them was with power and internet included, so they are only paying x amount each month regardless of how much power they use.

Recently the tenant has had their partner stay overnight quite a bit and he/she is basically living here.

On another occasion our tenant had a friend stay over for 3 days without them being present and without telling us.

Like they were house sitting? We are new at this so not sure if we are allowed to say anything.

The way that i see it is that we are all under the same roof sharing the same house.

The rent is only supposed to be for this person, this is their space.

We don't want to tell them how to live and what they can and can't do, we really don't want to be that kind of landlord, but permanently having people here and staying over that don't pay the rent, I dont know how to feel about it or if I'm even allowed to say anything..

Honest thoughts and opinions welcome..

thanks
    Last edited by donna; 20-04-2022, 09:36 PM.

Nicely tell the flatmate / boarder that the living space facility is personal, solely and exclusively to him and does not include others..
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Your house - your rules.

The person is in your house - not a rental property. It's important to set the boundaries - i.e. rules and requirements. One would be that as a 'lodger' staying in your home - it is lodgings for them exclusively and never is it okay for the lodger to have someone else to reside in your home for more than one night and that the lodger must be there for the other person to be there.

It's always tricky taking in lodgers - but as the RTA (Residential Tenancies Act) doesn't come into it - you can create the rules and give notice at any time. It sounds to me like you could suggest to the person that they go flatting in a rental property.

cheers,

Donna

SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

A "Flatmate Agreement" can be useful in a shared flatting arrangement.

Comment

^^ Do you have one for a lodger? Flatmates of tenants - yes they're available for free. I haven't found one for a lodger - do you have a link to a free lodger agreement?

cheers,

Donna
          SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

No. As you mention, one can create one's own rules, in this situation.

Comment

Working...
            X