Tenant died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant died

I don't want to cause a scene but let's say hypothetically if you rent a flat out to four students and one sadly passes away, what the hell do you do?

It's a touchy subject but rent needs to be covered even though they're grieving. Either by finding a replacement tenant or covering rent for the one who passed away.

I don't know if it happened on my property or not yet, would this make a difference?

No simple answer. Rented to four tenants jointly and severally? Or to one tenant who's responsible for co-tenants? (I.e. How many names on the TA?)

The scenario is covered in the RTA, for sole tenants. (Section 50)

Comment

Rented to four tenants jointly, all four of them were on the tenancy agreement. Can't find anything about it this specific scenario the RTA...

Comment

Life goes on, the rent still needs to be paid. If you wanted you could give a weeks free rent to show courtesy and respect for the deceased. I have had a tenant die and its a straightforward process where the family look after funeral proceedings, belongings are cleared by family and you re tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by chook View Post
          Life goes on, the rent still needs to be paid. If you wanted you could give a weeks free rent to show courtesy and respect for the deceased. I have had a tenant die and its a straightforward process where the family look after funeral proceedings, belongings are cleared by family and you re tenant.
          Thanks for the reply. What did you do in this situation chook?

Comment

Wouldn't responsibility pass to the executor or administrator?

Comment

^^ True where the executor is supposed to 'advertise for potential creditors' in the Public Notices section of the newspaper. Not sure where this section would be online!

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                ^^ True where the executor is supposed to 'advertise for potential creditors' in the Public Notices section of the newspaper. Not sure where this section would be online!

cheers,

Donna
                That's making an assumption they had a current Will if none you're left dealing with The Public Trust and all I can say to that is Good Luck you'll need it.
                Kaye
                www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
                  That's making an assumption they had a current Will if none you're left dealing with The Public Trust and all I can say to that is Good Luck you'll need it.
                  There is a half-way house, Kaye. (Or used to be). If the estate is under a certain values ($10k steps, as I recall), such intestate is dealt with under the Administration Act, rather than the Public Trust. (But I agree they are a rapacious organisation. Your money becomes ours should be their motto.)

That may've been what Artemis was referring to in this post.

Comment

OK hadn't realised it may have been a Halfway house if that is still the case agree unlikely to have assets of more than $10k. Public Trust really are incompetent when my Father died they claimed his owner occupied home was in Wellington it took several phone calls to various incompetent PT Claims Managers to rectfy this glaring mistake...
                    Kaye
                    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                    X