Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border collies in rental properties?

Hi all, first time posting.

Do any landlords have experiences with bordercollies, I am fine with a small dog or cat but unsure about 2 medium sized dogs in a small section, do any of you guys have experience with tenants with dogs please?

Thank you
    Last edited by Jerry56789; 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM.

Hi Jerry56789,

Welcome to PropertyTalk. We've had a tenant with a German Sheppard but the property was tired - i.e. not in top condition. When the carpet became threadbare near the sliding doors we had lino put down in the area. The tenant has since left and the property renovated - tenant doesn't have pets.

Border Collies do shed their fur a lot in winter and also all year.

cheers,

Donna
    Last edited by donna; 01-04-2021, 05:59 PM.
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Even the best cared for dogs do cause some damage. Our Labrador has scratched our floors to bits and he is well trained but young. So I guess it’s up to you and if your house is already a bit knocked around or whether it’s in good condition. . If the dogs are pretty old and just sit around they might be fine. If they bark all day while they are at work it will annoy the neighbours. And remember you can’t ask them to leave now if it’s not working out.

Comment

Two medium sized dogs in a small section is one too many. My previous tenants had an alsation pup but before long he was too big for our section to cope with his antics and his poops all over the section.
        I had assurance he was an outside 'pup/dog' but there were early signs that he "lived-in" as well, so I was extra vigilant with house inspects. When asked, the tenants said his incessant barking is why they kept him inside!
        I had no choice but to issue them with 90-day notice, with proof of evidence of the before-and-after snapshots and was successful in my bid.

Comment

^^ and you can not do that now ie issue 90 day notice so it pays to be very careful with tenant selection.

Cheers
          Donna
          SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Yes, of course Donna. Yet another reason why I decided to sell the property to lessen the stress! I feel for Landlords these days. It's early days of "retiring from rentals" and I can only hope that Landlords get a better deal.
            It's a quagmire out there.

Comment

Working...
            X