Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord required to allow tenant to repair damage after vacating property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord required to allow tenant to repair damage after vacating property?

I haven't (fortunately) had any significant issues in the past with damage to a property after a tenant has moved out, so not sure how this works, have had a quick search here and in the act but haven't found a definite answer.

A tenant has just moved out after tenancy was terminated by the tribunal, after inspecting there is a long list of things which mean the house is not rentable in it's current state.

Am I obliged to allow the ex-tenant to rectify the issues (however long that might take), or is it a done deal when they move out and we either negotiate with them or go back to the tribunal to retain their bond, will nowhere near cover the costs but still better than waiting days/weeks/months with no rent for the issues to be sorted.

Any help greatly appreciated......

My best guess is that - in the situation where the tenancy has ended - the choice is yours.

Get those defects remedied ASAP and get another (better ) tenant in there, quick-smart.

Then apply for the bond. (Or do that on a wet day, as you progress with the repairs)

Comment

Never allow tenants to repair damage which they have done.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Cheers, have also had a chat with the tenancy people as their website is reasonably useless, advice was not to allow a tenant back on the property after the tenancy has ended.

I guess we'll just get on with replacing the carpet, curtains, cleaning up the rest of the mess, and negotiate retaining the bond rather than make another application to the tenancy tribunal to follow the one that ended the tenancy.

Will just have to live with no rent for a couple of weeks, nothing much gets done over christmas and it's not rentable as it is, and I've got camping and drinking of beer in the sun to do anyway.

Comment

Move out date inspection is "cut out". Any damage left has to be properly documented and quoted to make it right. Then you take all these to TT while repairs being done

Comment

Working...
          X