Tenant applicant wants to know the what the referees say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant applicant wants to know the what the referees say

What would be the good way to respond to the tenant?
    Is it usual to ask this?
    Should the conversation be treated as 'confidential' between the previous LL/property manager or can it be passed on to the tenant?

"sorry that is, and always has been, confidential"
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Originally posted by nano View Post
      What would be the good way to respond to the tenant?
      Is it usual to ask this?
      Should the conversation be treated as 'confidential' between the previous LL/property manager or can it be passed on to the tenant?
      Its their referees, so they can ask them if they want to know. But I'd be more curious as to why they asked - did they think the referees would say something bad???

Comment

It is good to know it is 'always confidential'. I have never thought of myself asking that question to anybody, so wanted to double check.
        The applicant told me that the last PM gave her notice to leave because she disliked her and gave me only the LL's number, but I will get the PMs contact as well.
        Thank you very much.

Comment

there might be grounds under the Privacy act for you to be obliged to reveal the personal information if pushed? if there any lawyers here who could give an opinion? it would be good to know.

Comment

if it's not in writing, ie telephone call

would be very hard to recall
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

What's their offer for me to find out for them?

Comment

Always get 2 landlord reference checks - current and past for a prospective tenant, a simple phone call is usually sufficient. The current landlord may be more reluctant to tell the truth regarding the tenant either as a means of getting rid of them or as a means to keep them on . The tenancy prior to their current one I have found to be the more reliable source.

I'll provide an interesting example, for some tenants I took on board who have been renting my property now for almost 2 years . Their current landlord had given them a bit of a shitty feedback rating in a phone conversation I had with that person , telling me they were very untidy and had a lot of junk on the premises. She invited me to drive around to the address and check it out for myself. I was immediately put off and thought theirs probably not much point in doing a driveby and would not have taken them on-board had it not been for making a call to their previous landlord who praised them no end and said they were reasonably tidy and he was very happy overall with them. This prompted me to do a drive-by to see for myself . Well, it was reasonably tidy from what I could see , there was a small fraction of outdoor implements by the carport area but certainly nothing untoward or junky looking. I can only fathom that either their current landlady had been ultra fussy or had decided not to sell the property and wanted to retain them as tenants. 2 years later after renting my property I have found them very good and no sign of any real junk hoarding mentality.

As for confidentiality, unless its stated prior to the conversation I think its somewhat debatable especially if, as in the above example the tenant was repeatedly being turned down for accommodation due to a ratty rating by an overly fussy landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                  "sorry that is, and always has been, confidential"
                  Except, of course, you don't have to say you are sorry. It is what it is.

Comment

Keep the references confidential. Also, don't give reasons for not progressing with a particular tenancy application as you could fall foul of section 12 of the RTA.

By keeping the reference private you may protect a few more of your fellow landlords. I am still amazed by the number of house wreckers and neighbourhood troublemakers that think their previous landlord will still give a good reference. Perhaps, they are playing a numbers game and hoping to get a landlord who is desperate or lazy and that won't bother to check them out properly. As mentioned above, checking two previous landlord references is a good idea. However, you need to check that these landlords are real and are not friends or relatives of the tenants.
                    Gather information from as many sources as possible. If there is any suggestion of dishonesty or inconsistency in your information wait for another safer applicant.

As a final safety measure, I recommend visiting your applicant at their current home if all the usual checks pan out.

Comment

Face track them i.e. have a look at their Facebook but most will have privacy blocks so continue and look at their mates and friends. Takes a bit of time but amazing what you find. Google them as well and look back several pages. If they have created grief it will be there.

Comment

Working...
                      X