• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas gifts for tenants

Each year I like to give my long term tenants an Xmas gift as
    a thank you for their business.

I usualy give a food hamper.
    Problem with this is not knowing what food taboos they may have.

This year I was thinking of refunding a weeks rent.
    What do others do?
    Yes, less than $20 in value
    18.00%
    Yes, $20 to $40 in value
    30.00%
    Yes, more than $40 in value
    16.00%
    No, I will not be giving a gift or card
    36.00%
    Yes, I give them a rent holiday
    0.00%
    I'm considering something else
    0.00%
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Alternatives to food hampers might include petrol vouchers etc. But a basket of fruit and nuts is generally a very safe option. I would hesitate to give a free rent week as it (to me) sends the wrong signals (ie when we are in trouble we can beg off on the rent and the landlord might oblige.) For me, the rent is not negotiable.

Comment

I dont know where your properties are, but a weeks free rent is probably a lot more expensive than a food hamper.

I also tend to give food hampers. I dont buy the pre-packages ones - I put one together myself and use the items most people tend to buy and like. e.g. a bag of chips or softdrinks. Not many people will be offended by the basics.

Comment

I would suggest running the gifts by your accountant too. Some items are tax deductable some won't be.

Comment

Can you give us examples of what would not be deductible and why?

Thanks
          Gerrard

Comment

I normally do hampers, and have had no issue with my accountant re deductibility.

Comment

A reply I dug out from xmas last year between me and my accountant.
              may still be relavant.

A gift to the property manager would be tax deductible for income tax
              purposes, generally if the gift is food or beverages then it is 50%
              deductible and if not e.g. flowers then 100% deductible.

Comment

Will You or Won't You this Christmas?

Hi All,

Way back in the early days of PropertyTalk (Dec 2003)a thread was started titled "Holding onto Good Tenants" and it was about giving tenants gifts at Christmas - do we? Should we?

We then followed up a year later with this thread which also included a Poll.

Well - 3 years on and with many of the same participants alive and well on PropertyTalk.com I thought it would be a good idea to see where we stand now in 2007. Are we less or more generous? Do we still think our tenants deserve a present or are times tougher in 2007 and so we may give a gift but one worth less $$.

Cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I give cards or occasional gifts to any of my good tenants. If they pay on time and communicate well then they get rewarded.

Property managers may get a card for outstanding service too.

Although now we own some shops maybe I should be giving flowers or gift baskets from my own shop instead. However those out of town tenants may just have to have the usual pak n save or warehouse voucher.

Comment

A card and Movie Tickets for every set of tenants. Average value around $25.
                    You can buy the Movie Tickets in books of 5 or 10 at $12 each at Hoyts.

I think it is well worth the very small effort of recognising your tenants as worthwhile fellow human beings. The value of the good will we've build up by small gestures like this and a positive demeaner in our dealings with our tenants have been more than reciprocated in a wide variety of ways.

Just last week a tenant who is a joiner called me to say his boss was throwing away two kitchen cabinets and a bench unit. I could come and grab them if I wanted them. They were about $600 worth and we will use them in a renovation somewhere.

Neil Hawkins

Comment

For the last 15+ years I have always given a card and gift to good tenants. Its been worth its weight in gold. I occassionally still hear from ex-tenants who want to know if I have anything available to rent.

Bad/troublesome tenants of course get nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kalovatt View Post
                        For the last 15+ years I have always given a card and gift to good tenants. Its been worth its weight in gold. I occassionally still hear from ex-tenants who want to know if I have anything available to rent.

Bad/troublesome tenants of course get nothing.
                        You sound like Santa
                        Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
                          A card and Movie Tickets for every set of tenants. Average value around $25.
                          You can buy the Movie Tickets in books of 5 or 10 at $12 each at Hoyts.

I think it is well worth the very small effort of recognising your tenants as worthwhile fellow human beings. The value of the good will we've build up by small gestures like this and a positive demeaner in our dealings with our tenants have been more than reciprocated in a wide variety of ways.

Just last week a tenant who is a joiner called me to say his boss was throwing away two kitchen cabinets and a bench unit. I could come and grab them if I wanted them. They were about $600 worth and we will use them in a renovation somewhere.

Neil Hawkins
                          I answered nothing in the poll. However I think the cinema voucher is a great idea. I think I will be following this one up.

Rob

Comment

I always send gift baskets they are really well received and lets face it what cost is that? I usually spend $40 - $50 on them may have to spend more this year things have gone up i Beleive but lets face it the average rent per week is probably about $300 (more if i take the commercial building into account but i wont) Last year I was running out of time to get boxes so i went to the PO and purchased those large boxes to send them in, decided i was trading time for money. Saves scrounging around at the supermarket for suitable sized boxes. Now I have a good supply of larger boxes too but I am still going to use the PO ones they look better anyway. I love thinking of my tenants at Christmas afterall they are contributing to my abundant lifestyle so a little gift back is deserved.

Put yourselves in your tenants shoes and see if you would like to receive a gift. I know I would appreciate it.

Comment

A bit of Santa

We give all our tenancies a bottle of wine and a supermarket voucher at christmas.
                              Always pays to look after the customer.
                              Merry Christmas to all PTers.

Comment

Working...
                              X