X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys
    replied
    Originally posted by artemis View Post
    I don't have a problem with posts from a different POV. After all there is an Ignore list.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by cube View Post
    Other than the RTA, that you cannot contract out of, leaving the LL ultimately responsible for all the things that they are responsible for on a periodic tenancy.

The suggestion of a third type of tenancy giving more rights to the tenant to make the place their home without threat of termination along with more legislative responsibilities to maintain the place in good order and return in the same state in which it was found, makes sense to me.

The term in business is having some 'skin in the game' - if the tenant is responsible for redecorating (beyond a measly 4 weeks bond) , maybe they'll think twice about that New Years party advertised on Facebook?!
    That's assuming you can get them to honour their side at the end of the tenancy.
    For this to work a huge amount of tenancy education would be needed - not just educate the LL's.
    I think the day will come though - as owner occupancy rates decrease further.

Leave a comment:

• cube
    replied
    Nothing to stop landlords and tenants negotiating a long term agreement, rights of renewal, or an agreement allowing tenants to make a garden or paint the walls.
    Other than the RTA, that you cannot contract out of, leaving the LL ultimately responsible for all the things that they are responsible for on a periodic tenancy.

The suggestion of a third type of tenancy giving more rights to the tenant to make the place their home without threat of termination along with more legislative responsibilities to maintain the place in good order and return in the same state in which it was found, makes sense to me.

The term in business is having some 'skin in the game' - if the tenant is responsible for redecorating (beyond a measly 4 weeks bond) , maybe they'll think twice about that New Years party advertised on Facebook?!

Leave a comment:

• FJW
    replied
    I find most are dubious of signing up to a tenancy that is greater than 12 months.

Vacancy can be looked at from a positive angle though as its an opportunity to lift rents up to market rent or in some cases higher, invest into the improvement of the property. Generally speaking it should only take anywhere between 1 - 4 weeks to fill a vacancy, however there are a number of variables that often need to be satisfied to achieve that kind of turn around.....

Originally posted by donna View Post
    Umm what's the general opinion on granting longer term tenancies - maybe with fixed percentage rent increases?

see article here

cheers,

Donna

Leave a comment:

• donna
    replied
    There's a need for some tenancies to be longer term but I reckon it's a small percentage of private rentals. It is better suited to the outsourced HNZ stock etc.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    I'm not opposed to long term rentals as that is the game I am in.
    Obviously won't suit everyone and I'm sure not everyone in Europe who owns a rental property rents it forever.

But there would have to be a massive tenant education programme.

While commercial leases are touted they are not always rosey.
    If the tenant leaves because they are broke then you can mis out on reinstatement - and that is from a group which is generally hugely more professional than many tenants.

A 5 year obligation on the LL with the ability of the tenant to get out in weeks wouldn't cut it - they certainly wouldn't get reduced rent for that (in fact you would be wanting to charge more for the risk).

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
    How kind of you, however I already have a place. Here I can buy a mansion of less then the cost of an aparment in Auckland the prices there are so obscene.
    Indeed.
    You mention becoming a 'nation' of renters but the problem is Auckland as you have highlighted so don't generalise to the whole nation.

Leave a comment:

• PTWhatAGreatForum
    replied
    Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
    I bet I could find a house within the Auckland Council area that MichaelNZ could afford to buy.

I also bet that his reaction would be "I wouldn't want to live there!"

And that's part of the problem - those starting out want to start at the top of the tree not the bottom.
    How kind of you, however I already have a place. Here I can buy a mansion of less then the cost of an aparment in Auckland the prices there are so obscene.

Leave a comment:

• flyernzl
    replied
    I bet I could find a house within the Auckland Council area that MichaelNZ could afford to buy.

I also bet that his reaction would be "I wouldn't want to live there!"

And that's part of the problem - those starting out want to start at the top of the tree not the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• flyernzl
    replied
    Did Mr Eaquub cover them in his book?
    No, of course not.
    Never want to menton the downside.

Look what happened to Labour when the full picture of the CGT was revealed.

Leave a comment:

• PTWhatAGreatForum
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
    I suggest you go somewhere else.
    Because there is only one thing you want to hear - supplication to your dictates. There is plenty like that on social media. Only want to hear from the echo chamber.

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
    [FONT=verdana].....
    I understand that all of the above are standard features in the much-praised European residential tenancy arrangements, but are usually glossed over by those who support the introduction of a similar system here.
    I wonder why Stainton Chellew didn't think to mention most of those? Did Mr Eaquub cover them in his book?

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
    Spot on Eri. Michael What is your problem? If you are not willing to make a positive contribution then I suggest you go somewhere else. Pretty sick of you going on a tangent - effectively ruining a good conversation
    I don't have a problem with posts from a different POV. After all there is an Ignore list.

Leave a comment:

• Nick G
    replied
    Following...

Leave a comment:

• Bluecoat
    replied
    Originally posted by eri View Post
    even in only 2 lines

you mention yourself twice

but it's not about you mick
    Spot on Eri

Michael What is your problem? If you are not willing to make a positive contribution then I suggest you go somewhere else.

Pretty sick of you going on a tangent - effectively ruining a good conversation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X