Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 water meter 2 units

Hi

Recently purchased a new rental, house has been converted into a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom unit at the rear of the house, all legal both have a separate power meters but only the front 2 bedroom unit has a water meter, current owners paid the water usage for the tenant staying in the 1 bedroom unit, my guess is she is an older lady and does not use much water. We take ownership of the property on the 10th June, have a new tenant lined up for the front unit and the tenant in the back unit is going to stay on.

Question is how would I charge the back unit for water without knowing what she is using, is there a way in which I can get a separation of usage? Could talk with the unit in front to split the difference but not ideal as I would say the front unit would use more water.

FH
    "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

I have a check meter for the 1 bedroom unit at a similar property, but it only works if you read it. My PM's don't like to, but water is cheap there so I don't push it.

Comment

Will be easier to charge rent incl water

Comment

You cannot legally charge a tenant for any water useage unless there is a seperate meter exclusivly for their property.
        A check meter is allowable.

Any pro-rate apportionment would not be accepted at the TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tan View Post
          I have a check meter for the 1 bedroom unit at a similar property, but it only works if you read it. My PM's don't like to, but water is cheap there so I don't push it.
          If in Auckland water isn't cheap so it's better to at least get a check meter done by a plumber. You will recover your install cost quite fast for us was less than 12 months. Or can ask council to do a council meter but this is more expensive. Less ongoing cost fir re billing though so might be worth it. About 3 years ago was $1100 for each new council meter for existing legal dwelling. You still have to install a line from gate to house. Water use will increase if not user pays

Comment

How much is a check meter and what does it do? Not liking the $1100 for a council meter, seems they are charging over the top for this.

FH
            "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Comment

Approx 500 installed incl gst and some extra pipe work. I phoned chester plumbing for you they quoted 90 plus gst for the meter itself known as apartment meter by hydroflow. Actually should be straightforward to do. You can hire a crimping tool from hirepool and have some fun. Hope this helps.

Comment

Without a check or a council water meter you won't be able to charge the 1 bedroom unit. I haven't used a check meter personally but ~$500 including installation sounds OK.
                www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                # Property Management
                # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

From my recent Watercare bill (to install a proper meter and separate connection for a new minor dwelling):
                  1) New 15mm water meter = $563.00 (including GST)
                  2) Water and/or wastewater connection processing = $146.00 - they seem to charge $146 for almost any request (have seen this amount multiple times already)
                  3) Plus an infrastructure growth charge which is probably not applicable here as there's already existing/established unit/household...

Comment

Working...
                  X