Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOND release form . Don't sign until new tenant checks over the place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOND release form . Don't sign until new tenant checks over the place!

I make it a stock standard procedure NOT to sign the Bond release forms for the old tenant until the new tenant has had a chance of a few days to confer the new property inspection form & point out anything that may have gone unnoticed. I'm finding quite a few things i hadnt noticed pointed out to me by a new tenant recently such as:

Chips on the bath
    Gouge in conservatory flooring [Flooring was relatively newish]
    Conservatory Door stopper missing
    Broken plastic shower soap holder [Brand new]
    Missing oven dish & trays
    Missing patio bolt

I dont know what repair / replacement value i can put on these items.But if i had just signed off the bond form immediately , doubtful whether i would have had much joy getting anything from past tenant.

What does everyone else do here? Do you sign off the bond form on the day the old tenant leaves or do you wait a few days? I've had tenants in the past where i have signed off the bond forms immediately & havent had any problems but i'm thinking its better to wait a few days.
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 20-05-2012, 04:12 PM.

Best to do the final inspection with the outgoing tenant if poss, to avoid later disputes, and both sign off the inspection form. If you do that then you'd have trouble going back to the tenant or the TT later to withhold bond. Shouldn't be a problem if the final inspection is done properly.

Comment

Not easy to see small detail of damages like the above.

Comment

I disagree; everything in your list should have been picked up at the final inspection; or were your eyes closed?

Comment

Doing the final inspection at the same time as the initial inspection for the new tenants is a good plan, certainly saves a trip in many cases !

Comment

If you don't notice it, consider it as wear and tears.

What you can eventually do is signed a pre-inspection form on the day the people are leaving if it makes them feel better but allow yourself for an extra week to provide full and final report. At least, they know that no major (visual) issue can be added at a later stage. Give the same right to the tenants when they move in. I mean, give them a week to add any missed damages to the form.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbill View Post
              If you don't notice it, consider it as wear and tears.

What you can eventually do is signed a pre-inspection form on the day the people are leaving if it makes them feel better but allow yourself for an extra week to provide full and final report. At least, they know that no major (visual) issue can be added at a later stage. Give the same right to the tenants when they move in. I mean, give them a week to add any missed damages to the form.
              Thats a good point too. I usually give 5 days for the new tenants too add anything else to the property inspection form. Its easy for small things to go unoticed.

Comment

I have a question about finding a tenant who has left, and the information provided on the pre-tenancy form. One tenant of the five in the house left for England, the incoming tenant has found water damage I was not notified of (yes I should have checked the room). The bond has been transferred to the new tenant. A property manager signed these tenants up, and we parted company in March. I phoned the PM to see if they had the pre-tenancy forms with id information on (passport, driver's license) in case that could be useful, however the PM has shredded them, I guess because they believed the information cannot be shared with me under the Privacy Act. Does any one know if the Privacy Act would prevent the PM sharing the tenant details with me? The original tenants are jointly and severally liable for the damage, and they know this, but I am trying to recover the cost myself. I have an insurance assessor coming to confirm cause (slow leak from ensuite in next door room) and value of the damaged carpet so there is an objective opinion as to a fair cost of the damage. Hey ho an elementary mistake, and I read the posts too. I read a post from a PM who gets the parents' names, a great idea which I shall implement.

Comment

If you do go to the TT the problem is "proving" a service address for any tenancy tribunal notice serving after 2 months. Keys has a good clause he inserts into his TA to avoid this happening. The PM shredding the ID information in light of the Privacy Act seems somewhat disingenuos.

Comment

Thanks, I will look for that thread, I think it was Keys who gets the parents' names too.

Comment

I always get a "secondary address for service", explaining it as somewhere to use as a contact if there's an emergency and they can't be contacted. In fact I'm about to use one this week for a tribunal hearing.
                      My Profile

Comment

Thanks, that is a nice way to do it, I will put one on my forms now

Comment

Put.

It is agreed that all addresses given on the application form will be an address for service. Staple the application form to the tenancy agreement.
                          www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                            The PM shredding the ID information in light of the Privacy Act seems somewhat disingenuos.
                            The PM is in breach of the Privacy Act by shredding the ID information.
                            www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Interesting. I have to say I was surprised. How is that a breach of the Privacy Act? Misuse of its supposed powers?
                              I have a copy of the tenancy agreement and no ID information there either.

Comment

Working...
                              X