Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

www.landlordcheck.co.nz

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • www.landlordcheck.co.nz

    MODERATOR EDIT

    This thread is a continuation of a discussion started in another thread, which
    was lost, then manually reconstructed. That reconstructed thread is here,
    although it is locked so that additional posts cannot be added.




    Greetings from Bruce Gordon, director, 50% owner and website developer of a new website called tenancy support. Your rules exclude my using a link to the site but you can find the link in the subject of this thread.

    Our intention with this website is to provide an opportunity to offer support for tenants with forums, advice, forms, links, tribunal decisions (up to 6 years history from the Justice Dept database), plus the opportunity for members to rate agents and landlords, as well as the ability to search landlord reviews. We will also provide an opportunity for landlords and agents to respond to any reviews. All tenants are required to provide us with a signed approval from their landlord or agent agreeing to their accepting a rating being provided on our site.

    My business partner, Matt, introduced our site recently and in the process was taken to task by some of your members on his posted comments. In the process of providing a robust discussion Matt's responses, and in fact 90% of the threads he was actively corresponding in, were arbitrarily deleted without ceremony.

    In the spirit of consensus I am attempting one further post in the hope that we can answer any questions and allay any fears that our site is in any way biased against good landlords. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    One would hope that you see fit to allow freedom of speech to both introduce alternatives to the current tenancy sites, and share the opportunity to listen, learn and share a mutual interest in fair play in the tenancy industry.

    Our intention is to maintain a friendly dialogue without the combative approach that my partner Matt received in his recent experience on this site, and I will do my utmost to ensure we play our part in maintaining a positive and healthy relationship.

    Regards,
    Bruce Gordon
    Director & Web Designer
    Tenancy Support Services Ltd
    Last edited by Perry; 26-01-2012, 10:23 AM.

  • #2
    i wouldn't rush to the conspiracy theory so soon

    perry says they tried to move them to their own thread

    but they got lost...

    in cyberspace

    no one can hear you scream

    ps what's to stop me creating sock puppets to give myself a good profile?

    LLs tend to me more proactive then tenants
    Last edited by eri; 24-01-2012, 02:01 AM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

    Comment


    • #3
      Spell checker and conspiritor theory

      Hi eri,

      Thank you for the spell check, I wish I had the time to bother with such tasks at 1am, but glad someone has nothing better to do lol. Oh, and "pss" should be "pps", if one may be pedantic.

      As for your concern about "sock puppets", I have been a linux coder, developer, mysql/php/apache programmer, website/cms designer/host and white-hat for over 20 years. Before that I had a career in military intelligence (trained in electronic warfare, and interogation methods by SAS, and awarded the NZDSM). So good luck with anybody attempting to pull the wool over my eyes! And I've been involved in 5 tribunals over the last 18 years, won the lot!

      I am a realist, not a consiracy theorist. So, as for those entries that Matt was involved in being lost as we sat here watching them being deleted, my mistake. It must be pure coincidence that an experienced moderator "lost" only those threads by Matt, one after the other, and no others.

      One hopes the same fate doesn't occur with this attempt.

      In the spirit of fair play and free speech, we look forward to a healthy and robust discussion, and hopefully a fair hearing from the members herein.

      Time will tell.
      Last edited by Bruiser; 24-01-2012, 01:20 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
        I am a realist, not a consiracy theorist. So, as for those entries that Matt was involved in being lost as we sat here watching them being deleted, my mistake. It must be pure coincidence that an experienced moderator "lost" only those threads by Matt, one after the other, and no others.
        Bruiser, having been here for a little over a year now I have seen this site undergo many hiccups. I fully believe that this particular "experienced moderator" is on the level.

        5 tribunals in 18 years. Well done.

        All tenants are required to provide us with a signed approval from their landlord or agent agreeing to their accepting a rating being provided on our site.
        Now this is good.

        Can you flesh this out a little please? How do you receive them, store them, refer to them again etc? What does your privacy statement say? How does tour tenant ascertain the true identity of the landlord etc?
        www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

        Comment


        • #5
          "All tenants are required to provide us with a signed approval from their landlord or agent agreeing to their accepting a rating being provided on our site. "

          What 'bad' landlord would sign one of those?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
            "All tenants are required to provide us with a signed approval from their landlord or agent agreeing to their accepting a rating being provided on our site. "

            What 'bad' landlord would sign one of those?
            The kind who start having their rental offers refused. Just like those bad tenants who refuse to sign a similar agreement from a potential landlord.

            The message will get through.

            Comment


            • #7
              Can you email me a copy of this approval form?

              My email address is on the site in my signature.
              www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Keys View Post
                Bruiser,

                Now this is good.

                Can you flesh this out a little please? How do you receive them, store them, refer to them again etc? What does your privacy statement say? How does tour tenant ascertain the true identity of the landlord etc?
                I will address your questions one at a time.

                As for the agreement forms, I quote from our site:

                //"Before you rate your landlord, agent or halls of residence:

                Please download this form, have it completed and signed by your landlord, agent or halls of residence owner/manager, and email this to us with the subject line being "Privacy Release" and the landlord/agent/halls of residence full name.

                Another option is to use our Enquiry form, which includes the ability to attach and upload files. There, you can attach your completed "Full Discolsure" form.

                Once you have this to us, you are free to go to our "Rate a Landlord" section to create your rating.

                Please be aware that if you create a rating and we don't receive your "Full Disclosure" form within 7 days of your submission of a review, your rating will be deleted automatically."//



                These forms will be scanned and placed in a database for access/recovery by us, or are required by law agencies.

                As for our privacy statement, rather than repeat it verbatim here, you can read it as it is easily accessible from our menu to the left of our site.

                In terms of identifying true details, if we are not satisfied that the details on the form are not true, we have stated that we are willing to phone/email/fax the agent/landlord to confirm details provided by a tenant review.

                Regards,
                Bruce Gordon
                Last edited by Bruiser; 24-01-2012, 09:19 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK. Looking at your site. I'll put some questions up which I expect answers to.

                  I'll edit as I go as I've had experience of this site dumping long posts.

                  Questions:

                  What is "New Zealand Fair Trading New tenant checklist" and what part of legislation grants a tenant the right to have it?

                  From your site: "to be repaid for any urgent repairs that you have paid for – up to $1000"

                  Where do you get the figure of $1000 from?

                  A tenant is required to:

                  "To fill out the condition report and give the landlord/agent a copy within 7 days"

                  Where is this a requirement in the RTA?

                  "not to alter, remove or add a lock or security device without the landlord’s consent (except in certain domestic violence situations)"

                  Where is your authority to give that exception?

                  "to leave the premises in a similar condition to when you rented them, except for normal wear and tear."

                  Where is your authority for this statement?

                  Terms of the agreement:

                  "The terms of the standard residential tenancy agreement cannot be varied"

                  Where do you get the authority for such a statement?


                  My my my (sigh) and it goes on!

                  Prohibited transactions!

                  "that the tenant must have the carpet professionally cleaned, or pay the cost of such cleaning, at the end of the tenancy [unless the cleaning is required because animals have been kept on the premises during the tenancy],"

                  Where do you get the authority to make this statement?

                  And..............

                  "that, if the tenant breaches the agreement, the tenant is liable to pay all or any part of the remaining rent under the agreement, increased rent, a penalty or liquidated damages,"

                  Additional terms:

                  "Additional terms may included in the standard residential tenancy agreement if"
                  "they do not conflict with the terms of the standard agreement."

                  Authority please?

                  What a waste of my time ! ! ! ! !

                  Originally posted by landlordcheck.co.nz
                  The information in this factsheet:
                  • is intended as guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice
                  • applies to people who live in, or are affected by, the law as it applies in New South Wales, Australia.
                  Last edited by Keys; 24-01-2012, 09:27 AM.
                  www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    OK. Looking at your site. I'll put some questions up which I expect answers to.

                    I'll edit as I go as I've had experience of this site dumping long posts.

                    Questions:

                    What is "New Zealand Fair Trading New tenant checklist" and what part of legislation grants a tenant the right to have it?

                    From your site: "to be repaid for any urgent repairs that you have paid for – up to $1000"

                    Where do you get the figure of $1000 from?

                    A tenant is required to:

                    "To fill out the condition report and give the landlord/agent a copy within 7 days"

                    Where is this a requirement in the RTA?

                    "not to alter, remove or add a lock or security device without the landlord’s consent (except in certain domestic violence situations)"

                    Where is your authority to give that exception?

                    "to leave the premises in a similar condition to when you rented them, except for normal wear and tear."

                    Where is your authority for this statement?

                    Terms of the agreement:

                    "The terms of the standard residential tenancy agreement cannot be varied"

                    Where do you get the authority for such a statement?


                    My my my (sigh) and it goes on!

                    Prohibited transactions!

                    "that the tenant must have the carpet professionally cleaned, or pay the cost of such cleaning, at the end of the tenancy [unless the cleaning is required because animals have been kept on the premises during the tenancy],"

                    Where do you get the authority to make this statement?

                    And..............

                    "that, if the tenant breaches the agreement, the tenant is liable to pay all or any part of the remaining rent under the agreement, increased rent, a penalty or liquidated damages,"

                    Additional terms:

                    "Additional terms may included in the standard residential tenancy agreement if"
                    "they do not conflict with the terms of the standard agreement."

                    Authority please?
                    Whoah! Where are you getting this info from? And one at a time please!

                    As for your "I'll put some questions up which I expect answers to.", how about you use less of the combative approach, and more in the spirit of cooperation, don't you think? Do you respond well to being told you are expected to comply with demands from a total stranger?

                    Regards,
                    Bruce Gordon
                    Last edited by Bruiser; 24-01-2012, 09:30 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Link to your form please.
                      www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                        Whoah! Where are you getting this info from?
                        Your website bud.
                        www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Come on, you are currently on line. Where's the link to your form which landlords fill out to give tenants authority to put a rating on them?
                          www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I believe keys is refering to the page under resources tenancy act information (which he has now posted)

                            A word of advice Bruce:
                            You are presenting information to tenants which the reader expects to be lawfull & correct.
                            Keys - our resident expert on the RTA is taking the site/ you to task for publishing incorrect information.

                            As a business attempting to advise people on tenancies, the giving of incorrect advice is very close to negligence in my eyes.

                            Clearly the site has a long way to go to be brought up to a proper standard and every page currentlly posted should be caveated by the statement "this site is currently in development and likely to change at any time. The information presented is yet to be confirmed"
                            Last edited by Keithw; 24-01-2012, 09:46 AM.
                            Food.Gems.ILS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A word of caution Bruce.

                              Don't try to bluff me.
                              www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X