Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - how to get my money after the TT

hello all,
    would really appreciate if someone could advise on how to chase ex-tenant for a substantial amount of money, got the tenancy tribunal ruling but just discovered that she has been on a huge spending spree days prior to the hearing. new car, waddle of cash, new tv, laptop, fridge etc, all thanks to loans, sold anything she had, all other debts also secured with partner (who wasn't on the agreement, but was obviously in the picture), so given i can't touch anything, she is on the paper as 'single mum on winz' and her new rent is half of her benefit what options are there for me to get at least some of my money???? (i am sure she 'blew' the other half on her new items...to pay weekly so she wouldn't have any spare money), and if i file for order for examination can they take as her 'income' her benefit and her partners given they do live together (as household income)?????

I hope it's not too substantial because you will now need to request an order of examination where you'll be lucky to get more than $10 a week garnished from her benefit. Court orders do take priority over consumer debt, so that's one thing.
    My Profile

Comment

well i hope then she will enjoy a long life free of any nasty illnesses and live to the ripe old age of 130!!!
      and you reckon the system is working fine? that's what the adjudicator and DHB told me .................
      well several thousands underline, bold, italic several, basically a nice luxury trip around the world on a cruiship.....

Comment

Get court order for payment

See of a bailiff will go after the nice new toys (even though they are on HP).

Good luck.

Comment

It is like getting blood out of a stone when chasing ex tenants. It is a shame that there is little pressure put on tenants to repay outstanding monies. Do as described above and get a bailiff to go round to her property ( although, sad to say, that probably won't do much either).

Regards
          Aaron

Comment

I had one tenant take 4 years to repay a tribunal order. There was a degree of satisfaction in knowing I was a pain in her side for that long.
            My Profile

Comment

Well done you are a credit to all LL's drelly.

And I bet she will think twice next time she ends a tenancy owing money to the LL... Or perhaps she has now learned how to get an interest-free loan with low repayments spread over 4 years...

Comment

If your award is over a certain amount ($3k I think) you can register it with the court and charge interest on the outstanding amount. May as well do that also.
                www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

thank Keys, yes unfortunately for me it is well over 3K as she didn't think not paying rent was enough she also trashed the house which was just refurbished --- thanks to the delays in TT hearings and her prolonging the hearing making up lies it took several sittings, she used the time to sell all she had for cash and took everything new from dtr/mr rentals/ loans from few companies even used the old car as a collateral to buy new one worth well over 10 grand, now I hear she is on holiday in oz......
                  but will certainly chase her otherwise she will think she got away with it, might create a new record, drelly's 4 years will look like express

Comment

Give it to the debt collectors... If you ask me it's not worth the hassle doing it yourself unless you get personal satisfaction out of it.
                    Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

Debt collection is a total waste of time for most tenants. If they don't care about their credit rating and have no assets, what can a debt collector do? Even with an attachment order on her benefit, you'll probably have to repeatedly chase WINZ to continue paying it. I found that it got stopped multiple times then restarted as her file was reviewed.
                      My Profile

Comment

So been down to collections unit today, and they said no no interest is charged (despite the sum being well over the 3K metioned previously), so given that she singed her new agreement as a poor single mother of two, but lives with ther partner, she herself gets well over $ 600 how much am I realisticly going to get back each week? with no interest charged it is an interest free loan --- given she got everything new on hp/finance prior to the last hearing not much point in getting the debt collection company involved (plus they are not exactly great given they are chasing one of my extentants for more than 3 years though they left 3 years ago, I even gave them their new address, still letters keep coming).

Comment

Rumour has it some landlords have enlisted the help of their local motorcycle enthusiasts club to assist in recoverys.... which is illegal and a bad idea.

Comment

I would say possibly illegal, but definitely a good idea. Are you sure she's not a slapper?
                            www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

unlicensed debt collection via threats of violence....? I'm guessing illegal.

Comment

Working...
                              X