No announcement yet.

What to look out for when renting to single mum on WINZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are making sweeping judgements about this woman and solo parents in general.
    We have had tenants that are working types and they can be non payers and trash your place just as easily.
    Why don't you get the name of the father of the baby and get him to pay to house his child

Comment

Hi Gary,

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
      demand that the rent comes straight from WINZ instead of her wallet
      FYI WINZ won't pay the tenants rent direct unless there's clear evidence, that she has a history of non payment of commitments!

Comment

Originally posted by www.howtorentstocks.com View Post
        Hi Gary,

FYI WINZ won't pay the tenants rent direct unless there's clear evidence, that she has a history of non payment of commitments!
        FYI WINZ make payments directly
        to landlords when it's an option
        of getting the rental or being
        refused.
        Test for WaterfrontNZ

Comment

My understanding of redirection from WINZ is that it has to also have the tenants approval.... if the tenant chooses to stop redirection, then so does your payment.

Secondly, I work in the hospitality industry. Its interesting to see (probably the same scenerio people this thread is discussing) work until IRD catches up with them and issues the employer with a higher tax rate because of either student loans or pre-existing IRD debt. Generally it takes about 4 months for IRD records to catch up.

Then they leave work and go back onto assistance and find a cash job in the meanwhile.

just don't assume WINZ will continue re-direction automatically.

If in doubt, consider handing over your rental to a professional manager to look after, and learn about the industry and rules in your own time, and at your own cost. its better than making a mistake with a new tenant and coming back unsure of what to do.... and finding you are thousands down the drain because you missed something being new to the business.
          S.

Comment

Originally posted by page 2 of my tenancy agreement
            If the tenant is a beneficiary and has any defaults, collections, judgements or bankruptcy notices in their credit check, as at the date of the tenants application for this tenancy, then payment of rent is to be made directly from their W.I.N.Z. benefit. Their credit history demands that the landlord requires this. No other reason is the cause for this condition.
            If they stop WINZ payments, they are in breach of the TA. Send them a notice to remedy, even if they continue to pay.
            www.3888444.co.nz
            Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
              If they stop WINZ payments, they are in breach of the TA. Send them a notice to remedy, even if they continue to pay.
              Only "if they are a beneficiary". If they get their benefit cut, or get a job, they are not in breach as long as they are still paying. So might pay to check before going in boots'n'all. Although ideally they should be telling you about all this before it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Eridani View Post
                Only "if they are a beneficiary".
                The subject of the thread relates to WINZ. If they're no longer a beneficiary ..........
                www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

WOW! Unbelievable discrimination here - do you people advocate the same checks for a single father? Non european? etc I've had 2 tenants in my property both single parents and absolutely amazing tenants - as well as amazing parents - maybe you should ask sometimes where the loser father is and why he ran out on his kids!

Comment

car insurance companies discriminate against young guys

health insurance companies discriminate against old and sick people

banks prefer not to extend mortgages to people who are maxed out on their credit cards and have no real income

why?

because of their risk profiles
                    Last edited by eri; 16-11-2010, 01:13 PM.
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Wasabi View Post
                      WOW! Unbelievable discrimination here - do you people advocate the same checks for a single father?
                      I do the same checks for everyone bud. No matter race, religion or political belief. Those who have bad credit are everywhere. Check everyone.
                      www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                        Don't you find that as most (in my experience) property managers are women, they tend to have a slightly softer spot for solo mums and treat you like a leper when you voice those opinions?
                        I find most junior Real estate agents posing as part time property managers are women. Once you get the "Real Deal" PM's its' 50/50, but they've all been around the block and had some scars from life.

Comment

When is active risk management discrimination?

PM's who have handled enough tenancies can list off the top of their head the risk factors. These are of course generalisations, and can often be quite un-politically correct....... but car insurance for women is cheaper for a reason, and that, on the face of it could be seen as sexual discrimination!

Ask yourself this: (hypothetically... and this is SUPPOSED to make you cringe)
                          Imagine you were sponsored to do a statistical survey of private rented houses in a downmarket suburb, and all the PM's and landlords gave you access to their data, and the study was investigating % of late/missed rent payments.
                          If you broke down the %'s by ethnic grouping, and could show that there was a significant difference between the groups, would you publish your study?
                          Last edited by WGN ex-property manager; 18-11-2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Interesting challenge to tenancy filters. Ideally the filter should be consistently applied to all prospective tenants. Single(Female or male), married, employed, unemployed etc.What would these be.

Weekly income after tax 50% ???? greater than rent
                            Positive reference by former landlord.
                            Ability to pay Bond and rent up front
                            Appropriate number of tenants per dwelling
                            Clean and tidy appearance
                            Doug

Comment

And a tidy car boot, according to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin McCandless View Post
                                I find most junior Real estate agents posing as part time property managers are women. Once you get the "Real Deal" PM's its' 50/50, but they've all been around the block and had some scars from life.
                                Robin, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X