X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bark diary' evidence used to evict noisy dog

'Bark diary' evidence used to evict noisy dog
    By MARTY SHARPE - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 11/08/2010
    Neighbours of a noisy dog were asked to keep "bark diaries" before the pet was eventually confiscated in a dispute that has soaked up hundreds of hours of council time and involved police.
    BJ the 10-year-old border collie-cross has been the subject of complaints to Napier City Council for four years. He is now in the city pound after the council took him on Monday.
    Nearly all of the complaints have come from immediate neighbour Peter Johnson, who has two exercise books – bark diaries – filled with the dates, times and the duration of BJ's barking.
    BJ has lived with Corina Halka and her two daughters at their Len Davis Tce property since 2006. The Halkas' previous dog, Ray, was also the subject of complaints from Mr Johnson and was removed in 2005.
    Council staff say they have spent about 200 hours on the dispute between Mrs Halka and Mr Johnson. The latest council meeting agenda devotes nine pages to the dispute.
    In May 2009, Mr Johnson began throwing pans of water over his fence at BJ and police were called after an altercation in January. The council surveyed 40 residents and 15 replied, with 11 saying BJ's barking was a nuisance. Four said they were unaffected. It also asked that bark diaries be kept.
    Mrs Halka said she and Mr Johnson had "a long-standing and irreconcilable dislike for each other".
    The council eventually told Mrs Halka to remove BJ and when she did not comply, staff took him away on Monday. She intends appealing or challenging the order in court.
    Mr Johnson, 68, said BJ's barking had made his life hell.
    "As soon as I step out the door it goes berserk."
    He had thrown water on BJ "only three or four times".

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

simply enough to debark the dog

pity it has to be done but better than putting it down
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Debarking isn't necessary if the dog has disciplined and responsible owners. I have always lived wtih traditionally "yappy" dogs that have always been well behaved due to decent, responsible masters.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
        Debarking isn't necessary if the dog has disciplined and responsible owners.
        I have to agree. Dogs left at home alone for 8 hours while you work, 1 hour while you go to the gym, then 4 hours while you have a social life have a right to bark and do anything else they feel like doing. Even small/old/lazy dogs need a walk, if not to burn off energy, to see something different & spend some time with the owner.

I used to leave my dog at home while I worked . When the neighbours told me it was barking I went to the vet and got a video on fixing the problem. It did take a lot of time and effort, but we were all a lot happier with a cured and relaxed dog.

I suspect owners don't do anything as it is not a problem to them - the dog only barks when they are out. They are too busy to deal with it. (no wonder their kids are wild )

Comment

Dogs can go to day care or have someone come over and walk them whilst the owner is at work.

8 hours (probably more like 9 or 10 with travel) is too long to leave a dog on its own every day. Worse if you are in one of those new neighbour hood areas where there's only 2 metres between your place and next door and your neighbours are home during the day.

Some neighbours I reckon are bored and purposely antagonise dogs too - a friend of mine put up cameras and caught his neighbour being a real idiot.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            . . . a friend of mine put up cameras and caught his neighbour being a real idiot.
            Tut, tut. What would the Privacy Pretensioner say?

Comment

The council encouraged it - to monitor his dogs behaviour....only it basically showed this neighbour's behaviour was provoking the dogs.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Fortuitous accident.
                Nicely done, then.

Comment

How about they leave the dogs inside while they are out?

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                    simply enough to debark the dog
                    I'd rather debark and neuter the owner....

Comment

Name of video

Originally posted by Tan View Post

I used to leave my dog at home while I worked . When the neighbours told me it was barking I went to the vet and got a video on fixing the problem. It did take a lot of time and effort, but we were all a lot happier with a cured and relaxed dog.
                      Do you still have the details of the video, title? It could be useful - my dog is a barker; she isn't annoying the neighbours but she sure is annoying me!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by leapy View Post
                        How about they leave the dogs inside while they are out?
                        That's even worse! You can't keep a dog locked inside all day, it will become noisier than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Choc View Post
                          Do you still have the details of the video, title? It could be useful - my dog is a barker; she isn't annoying the neighbours but she sure is annoying me!

Thanks in advance.
                          It was Bark Busters, but it was about 10 years ago. The vet used to loan the videos out, but when a friend went to get one they had all been "not returned", and the vet had not replaced them.

All the tips were logic once you know about it!

Comment

Working...
                          X