X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware under 18 year olds.

Had a FTT where there was two over 18 and one to turn 18 during the term
    of the FTT.

Here was I thinking that S 14(2) would cover me. Nope.

Went to mediation where the Mediator informed me that, since the tenant
    was not yet 18 they were not liable. Even though it was a FTT. Even
    though the tenant would have turned 18 during the FTT. They could walk
    with no repercussions. NONE.

So. If I ever get any under 18 year olds I'll be asking if they would be
    prepaired to make an application to the TT "before" entering into a
    tenancy. And, would they be prepaired to pay for the application. Should
    I get another suitable applicant during the wait for the TT hearing then
    I'll put the other applicant in as that makes good business sense.

So, who's problem will it be then?

Could this be seen as discriminatory?

It seems that the system is going to discriminate.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Hate to say it but I think the mediator was right due the use of the word "thereafter" in that section.

Comment

Originally posted by Xav View Post
      Hate to say it but I think the mediator was right due the use of the word "thereafter" in that section.
      Agreed.

You can rest assured I'll not be placing any under 18 again.

Then, who will be suffering? Not I.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

I think the "Law" states that an under 18 year old cannot be held liable for any contracts signed or entered into.

Basically, the thought being that they're too immature to understand what they're signing. This is probably a valid thought.

Having had problems with 20 year olds, if given the choice between a older potential tenant who has a slight credit problem and a younger potential tenant who has no credit history - I'll take the older tenant every time.

I don't have to "train" the tenant - they know they have to pay rent EVERY week. The payment comes before a new XBox game, a fill-up for the mobile phone/car (whichever is running low this week!), a new pair of boots/jeans/eyeliner etc. Older tenants generally don't have rowdy parties and know how to park their cars, how to put rubbish into the rubbish bin and know that the rubbish bin has to be put out to the curb to be collected.

Believe me when I say, it's MUCH easier having an older tenant.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Funny how under 18's are considered too immature to be held to a contract or agreement but they aren't too young to leave home, go to work, have babies and drive fast cars.

frazz

Comment

I wont rent to under 18's Full stop - for many of the resaons Essence has given- and because the Minors Contract Act means a contract is null and void. Also, Guarantors are not acknowledged or recognised by the TT so a gaurantee is abosulutely worthless.

Comment

tDon't get Guarantor's. Actually put the parents on the TT, then they are jointly and severally liable for anything that goes wrong.

On the TA
              1. Tenant is <Parents>
              2. The property may only be occupied by <X> people over the age of 16 ... this makes sure the <X> under 18's move in, then the parents can't also move in unless they boot out the under 18's... which is a win for you!
              3. The property may be occupied by the following under 18,s <A> <B> <C> as guests of the tenants.
              sorted!
              4. The property may not be occupied by any other than the tenants or the above names guests.

Comment

Been there in the past Robin. Had mum as a tenant. In this instance, the tenancy was a fixed term. Said fixed term taking the under 18 year old past his birthday (S14 2). Two other tenants were over 18.

Never mind. Live and learn.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

Did having Mum as tenant work out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin McCandless View Post
                    Did having Mum as tenant work out for you?
                    Yip, she was about four months shy of 18. Had two 8 week FTT's and ran into a periodic (new tenancy signed) when the tenant turned 18. Mum was a tenant on the FTT's.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Sounds like a good way to go for under 18's

Comment

Working...
                      X