WINZ at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINZ at it again

I thought I should splatter a communication I received from this Government Department today. Comments are welcome.
    Names are removed to protect the guilty and innocent.

This is all sorted.
    Although I had actioned the rent payment to come directly from S's benefit on the day I saw you, there is apparently some sort of delay (!) with this type of deduction from benefit.

I have not experienced this before so am at a loss to explain why it took a further week to start up.
    It is showing definitely on our computer system that it will take place tonight (payment of the $190 rent to the landlord will be in his account tomorrow).

Apologies for all this, like I say, I don't understand what caused the delay as the action was taken over a week ago, and the payment should have come out of her benefit last week. However, C (another case manager) said the 'Payees are a bugger' or words to that effect, meaning the system does take more than one week to sometimes kick in....certainly I was not aware of this. But it's OK now.

Although I realise it can be difficult for clients such as S to manage their money themselves, she should still (in theory) have the rent money in her account, that was not paid out automatically last week, so hopefully she can make a manual payment for her rent due last week, if not already done.

Thanks XXRR

Case Manager,
    Now I must explain. The poor tenant has just got out of jail. She was my tenant before she went in. She suffers from a very serious mental illness and has a significant social disability. In the past people like this would be institutionalised. The only reason she is able to manage on the outside is the health system provides significant home support. Not to mention the landlord goes along behind repairing windows, picking up rubbish, and helping her where ever possible.
    But here is a WINZ worker saying that whilst they can not manage their own computer they expect this poor lady to be smart enough to over come WINZ deficiencies and still manage to pay the landlord.
    Then to describe me as a "bugger" (me being the payee) because I expect to have the rent paid each and every week. What sort of training do these people get? Something needs to be done to help the seriously disabled in our society survive the hit and miss assistance that our Government provides.

Maybe, like California, NZ is running out of money to pay it's bills!
    DFTBA

Comment

could the term 'Payees are a bugger' be directed at the system for paying them rather than you?
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

That was how I read it.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

WINZ at it again

Glenn, I had a WINZ client apply for a flat. She said family would cover the bond and 1 week rent in advance. WINZ would pay the rent, $240 per week there after direct to my account.
          I doubted they would pay that much, $240.
          I thought WINZ had a cut off at around $170. Do you have tenants paying as much as $240 direct from WINZ?

Comment

Originally posted by ang View Post
            Glenn, I had a WINZ client apply for a flat. She said family would cover the bond and 1 week rent in advance. WINZ would pay the rent, $240 per week there after direct to my account.
            I thought WINZ had a cut off at around $170. Do you have tenants paying as much as $240 direct from WINZ?
            I am not aware of any sort of limit.
            For instance last night I unexpectedly received $1800 from WINZ. This is the bond for a lady taking an as new four bedroom house with two bathrooms and two living areas at $450 per week. This lady has two children.
            Often I have noticed that individual case managers set their own limits based on their local knowledge of the market. Not that I think they should be that familar but they of course do see heaps of people coming in front of them for a wide range of family sizes and needs.
            So yes I do have a number of tenants who get their rent by redirrection of benefit. Generally these people are intellectually or mentally disabled.
            However there is a lesser number of people who get it done as a result of poor budgeting skills. One I got as the result of WINZ intervention. I am not really sure why it was arranged. I did not ask for it.

Re your case. Be very warry of promises to have WINZ paying without some documentation. Sometimes I have said an applicant can move in once the first redirrection starts. That puts the cat amongst the pidgeons. You should see the feathers then. In your case there are clear signals that the applicant is a problem person. If they claim the family will be paying the bond this means WINZ have declined them. WINZ (despite my moans from time to time about them) do not turn people down without a reason. This reason could be because they have used up their advance allocation at another property.

So to better answer your question. Yes it is certainly normal in our city for redirrections of rent to be well in excess of $170. Actually for $170 all you would get would be a low grade one bedroom flat in a low grade block full of beneficaries. It sounds as if you live in one of those nice towns with decent people.
            Last edited by Glenn; 04-02-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

WINZ at it again

Hi Glenn thanks for your reply. I do live in a nice town. (Taupo) Not sure about the decent people looking for a rental. I get lots of phone calls from the wrong type. Good tenants are hard to find but I would rather have an empty property than the wrong person as a tenant. My possible tenant lives else where. She would like to move to be near family. She's an invalid beneficiary. Don't know what her health problem is. Her family rang to say they are fronting up with the bond and first weeks rent. Tried to bring it around to me in cash. I didn't accept it. I really need to have WINZ say yes to her, and see documentation before we go any further. Her credit check came up smelling of roses. She could make a good tenant. It’s all down to WINZ

Comment

I get lots of phone calls from the wrong type.
                Their first (and last) txt saying only "wots tha bond" is always a goody. No other questions, (like, where is it?) just the bond. There must still be some landlords out there who don't charge any I think

G
                Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Hi Glenn thanks for your reply. I do live in a nice town. (Taupo) Not sure about the decent people looking for a rental. I get lots of phone calls from the wrong type. Good tenants are hard to find but I would rather have an empty property than the wrong person as a tenant. My possible tenant lives else where. She would like to move to be near family. She's an invalid beneficiary. Don't know what her health problem is. Her family rang to say they are fronting up with the bond and first weeks rent. Tried to bring it around to me in cash. I didn't accept it. I really need to have WINZ say yes to her, and see documentation before we go any further. Her credit check came up smelling of roses. She could make a good tenant. It’s all down to WINZ
                  Ang
                  I am slightly familar with Taupo. My parents retired and died there.
                  I would have thought the place was reasonably challenging.
                  As you observe good tenants are hard to find. I certainly would not say that was the situation in Nelson but we do have a good selection of not so good tenants.
                  Re the signals you are giving about your prospect.
                  Invalid benefit can mean a whole range of problems. Often in my town it includes people on the methodone scheme.
                  I have noted that some people operate below the credit radar never bothering to get consumer credit. Having several names does help to keep ones Veda file looking good. Hence the smell of rotting roses.
                  A very common ploy to induce landlords to commit an act they regret later ! is to offer cash. Cash makes many people swoon and fall for any old story. It is well know that certain ethnic groups of landlords tend to be real suckers for this. Having a large nose is a sure give away.
                  My guess is the same as I suspect yours is. There is not much chance of WINZ coming to the party if you do not need to go to them cap in hand asking for the bond and rent in advance.
                  Last edited by Glenn; 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM. Reason: Add the nose.

Comment

Refering back to my problem.
                    It appears that the situation is being solved without the assistance of WINZ. Everyone knows that it would not be in anyones interest to force the issue too hard to get the rent payments that have been missed.
                    Goodness you should have seen the blood stains from the poor sole when she was in her old flat. Her mind is so damaged she was self mutilating in order to seek attention.
                    What sort of landlord would knowingly be expected to take such a sick person to the tenancy tribunal in order to make WINZ pay the rent as promised. What would that pressure do to her mind.
                    Things like this make me question our society and the integridy of our social services. Far to many people are being employed as seat warmers.

So anyway I will not reveal how the problem was solved. No doubt someone in at WINZ will be sticking another pin in my effigy.
                    I do not enjoy being hated and abused even by people I do not admire.

Comment

You will find what they mean by this is that WINZ will pay the rent out of the persons Benefit before they get it.
                      The cut off relates to the amount of Accommodation Supplement a person can and it varies according to the region. Auckland seems to be higher and it also depends on the size of the family.

Comment

Although I had actioned the rent payment to come directly from S's benefit on the day I saw you, there is apparently some sort of delay (!) with this type of deduction from benefit.

If this was the case manager talking then she was arranging the payment to come out of the benefit before it was paid to the client. I sincerely hope that she did get the money if you didn't because these people get up to allsorts of tricks and lie to cover their behinds.

Comment

i have a son who works for winz, he gets abused daily,and stopped in the street by his "customers" wanting to know why he isnt giving them more money, there are obviously people needing a hand then there are the ones who should be taken out the back and put out of our misery

Comment

I have had hundreds of people getting the rent paid by redirection. These days I have sold the management business but I still get a number of my remaining tenants having their payments from winz.
                            The system of winz paying is still not pain proof. The start up time can be very variable from a few days to two weeks or more.
                            They do not have a good system like the credit notes so when a new tenant comes and claims winz are going to pay or even if a case worker rings and says they will do it you do not have a bit of paper until a day or so before the first payment comes. Sometimes that bit of paper arrives after the first payment. So at the beginning it is like all new babies being born. The first week is the most dangerous. The last week of their life is also dangerous. So if you do not get your money regardless of the stories just act as per normal. Issue a 14 day notice and lodge your application to the tribunal.
                            Occasionally winz will start the payments a week late. In order to cover yourself always ask for two weeks rent in advance plus the bond. That way the case workers will strive to avoid the extra payments and make the first payment start on time. Like all government servants they will always blame delays on someone further up the line. When the heat goes on that unknown never heard delay causing person in the system mysteriously vanishes.
                            Just this week I have had two calls from a winz worker. My applicant sought an appointment to get her money. They gave her one two weeks out. I encouraged her to go in and wait. She did this. The case worker rang me and said all was well but they were not going to process the request until the original set appointment date. She also demanded I supply a tenancy agreement in advance of the money claiming all other managers in Nelson do this. She did not want to hear that this process was an unlawful use of the RTA. So I waited and turned other applicants away. Then when the long awaited appointment time came the worker rang and asked if I would be happy to accept half bond from winz and the other part of the bond by transfer from a boarding house. I declined and so the applicant did not get her money and I lost another three weeks rent.
                            Surprise I am not to impressed with WInz this week.

Comment

My worst experience with WINZ was when I did the mistake of purchasing a rental and keeping the existing tenancy. I called and wrote to WINZ multiple times that they are paying the old landlords and WINZ would not listen as it should be the tenants that mentions this. Unfortunately, the tenants I inherited sleep, drink, smoke, and sleep some more. I had to issue notice to terminate the tenancy and that was when the tenant finally got up and met with WINZ.

I do wonder if WINZ ended up chasing the old tenant for the ~3-4 weeks of rent which they were paying them incorrectly.
                              www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                              # Property Management
                              # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Working...
                              X