Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"WINZ" tenant in Arrears

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "WINZ" tenant in Arrears

    I recall there has been a post or two previously in regard to WINZ tenants going into arrears, and as one of mine has just been served a 10 day notice by my PM, I wondered if I should dabble a little and contact WINZ directly to see if they can advise why the rent has stopped?

    The tenant is not responding to txts from PM, but is aware of the notice (so I am told).

    My understanding from the original PM when we took this tenant on was that he was on benefit redirection from WINZ for the rent monies.
    I understand there has been some confusion here in the past re "redirection" and if it actually exists, but what are my chances being a LL finding out from WINZ directly if his payments have been stopped or if indeed it is a WINZ "computer" problem prior to the 10 days expiry date....
    S.

  • #2
    I'm sorry under the privacy act we can not give you that information.

    Standard response to any thing you ask about tenants
    I'm sick of the crumbs i want a piece of that pie

    Comment


    • #3
      Not surprising I guess....!

      I would have thought in an effort for their beneficiary to keep a humble roof over his family's head, they might be a tad more helpful..
      S.

      Comment


      • #4
        Your contract is between you and the tenant - not WINZ.

        If WINZ have stopped paying, that is a problem between the tenant and WINZ, not you.

        So long as the tenant owns the problem and contacts WINZ to find out why the money that they are entitled to is not being paid, all should be well.

        However, tenants are more likely to put their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away.

        My advice - don't get involved with WINZ.

        cube
        DFTBA

        Comment


        • #5
          I was given the WINZ central processing ph number once (PM me if you want it) and they were quite helpful
          Originally posted by WINZ
          Yes we are paying rent for that person to her landlord xxxx for her tenancy at xxxxx (not me or my property - she had moved out a week earlier).
          We Buy Houses | Sell Your House Fast - No Fees, No Stress

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NESW View Post
            The tenant is not responding to txts from PM, but is aware of the notice (so I am told).

            My understanding from the original PM when we took this tenant on was that he was on benefit redirection from WINZ for the rent monies.
            I understand there has been some confusion here in the past re "redirection" and if it actually exists, but what are my chances being a LL finding out from WINZ directly if his payments have been stopped or if indeed it is a WINZ "computer" problem prior to the 10 days expiry date....
            I am not too sure why you as owner need to worry about these details unless of course your PM is yet another paper tiger.
            It is very common for WINZ rediirrection payments to stop. Things like the beneficary has got a job, not turned up for an interview, forgot to get their doctors certificate (lots of them are sickness beneficary you know), and so the list goes on.
            Your paper tiger needs to immediately after issuing the 10 day notice to make an application to the tribunal.
            I did this for a tenant a couple of weeks ago and had the mediation this last Tuesday. By Thursday the full arrears ($310) had been paid in full by WINZ and the tenant was over the moon.
            By doing this action I helped the tenant, I helped the owner, and I sorted my arrears.
            If I had left the problem till say the tenant was three weeks in arrears he might have been 5 weeks in arrears by the time we got mediation and would likely as not been evicted. Who wins then.
            So jump on your horse.
            Find out what the PM is doing and if need be act like the PM should be acting. Get rid of the dullards and find someone who has a bit of fire in them.
            Paper tigers do not have fire in them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Glenn
              Paper tigers do not have fire in them.
              well of course not. they would burn...

              Cheers
              David
              New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                I am not too sure why you as owner need to worry about these details unless of course your PM is yet another paper tiger.
                It is very common for WINZ rediirrection payments to stop. Things like the beneficary has got a job, not turned up for an interview, forgot to get their doctors certificate (lots of them are sickness beneficary you know), and so the list goes on.
                Your paper tiger needs to immediately after issuing the 10 day notice to make an application to the tribunal.
                I did this for a tenant a couple of weeks ago and had the mediation this last Tuesday. By Thursday the full arrears ($310) had been paid in full by WINZ and the tenant was over the moon.
                By doing this action I helped the tenant, I helped the owner, and I sorted my arrears.
                If I had left the problem till say the tenant was three weeks in arrears he might have been 5 weeks in arrears by the time we got mediation and would likely as not been evicted. Who wins then.
                So jump on your horse.
                Find out what the PM is doing and if need be act like the PM should be acting. Get rid of the dullards and find someone who has a bit of fire in them.
                Paper tigers do not have fire in them.

                The Agency (for this issue it appears I am not dealing with the regular PM someone else has contacted me instead) has issued a 10 day notice to them, but my concern is that as previously mentioned in other posts, tenants do tend to stick their head in the sand somewhat and I "thought' (not being totally familar to the NZ procedure as its the first time its happened to me having a defaulting tenant) that I am mindful that perhaps a nudging email from me might "assist" the WINZ drama along.... should it be their problem in the first instance..

                Secondary to that, is, in consideration of the recent very well publicised issue of the the electricity being cut off on a medical client, however questionable the issues are, I am mindful that my humble abode is a home to a family who may not have the ability to initiate contact with WINZ and find themselves homeless in a cold NZ winter because of a "glitch" in the system.... (always looking on the bright side).

                I for one, would at least, selfishly, like to see my butt covered as far as "assisting" the matter to be resolved.

                Shallow yes, but if necessary I will do whatever is necessary and "understandable' to ensure that I don't receive similar publicity as a heartless, rich o/s based landlord who turfs this family out because of a small debt... when its proven (if of course) its WINZ fault.

                If its not, and I am housing a scam merchant, then off with his head!
                S.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You have riasied some interesting things there drawing a connection between evicting someone and cutting off their power. The same thoughts have been going through my mind over the last few days.
                  Firstly the prime minister Clark is talking rubbish. There is no communication nor working together between winz and credit providers such as power companies and landlords.
                  However it is common for winz to make payments to the likes of me on behalf of their clients.
                  I have had the tenancy adjudicator question me seriously about a tenant who asked for a stay of proceedings for an eviction. That tenant had a new born prem baby. I pointed out to her that the tenant had not made one payment of their own (first week paid by winz) since the start of the tenancy.
                  However I also mentioned that the tenant had four other pre school children and her man along with her brother in law staying in a one bedroom flat. I pointed out that if anything happened to the familiy like a fire of serious sickness then the media would be after me and not the tenants. So I got my eviction and the attachment order for the debt.
                  I am however not looking forward to the next eviction of another sick person.

                  Re the issue of winz fault and all that.
                  I do give winz workers a hard time occasionally.
                  However I would be wary of blaming them for the worlds problems, or even your defaulting tenants problems. Tenants owing money or more particularly debtors are practiced liars. Firstly to themselves then secondly to anyone that will listen.
                  Landlords are permitted and in fact expected to have a heart. Why else invest in houses instead of factories and machinary. However if the rent has not been paid that is usually the only sure fact that you can act on.

                  Re the issue of you helping by sending off an email or what ever. I as a PM would not consider that a help.
                  The process of issuing a 10 day letter section 56 notice is that the mediation needs to be held not earlier than the 10 working days in order make it stick.
                  Now like all processes it does take a few days to organise a mediation. In fact 10 days is now the objective grade of service to set up a mediation after an application is made to the tribunal. So after a bit of lobbying Tenancy Services have agreed ( in fact they are encouraging) landlords to make the application as soon as the 10 day notice has been issued.
                  Generally I wait a week or even longer if the matter does not get worse but sometimes do it sooner.
                  So I am suggesting to you that your PM is not following that path of rapid action. It is this apparent lack of action that I am suggesting you should be dealing with.
                  A bad paying tenant is bad news.
                  A slow acting timid PM is the start of a major financial loss for the owner.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In my experience one of the most frustrating aspects of tenants who don't pay rent is the feeling of helplessness, or more specifically of not being in control of the situation.

                    Issuing a 10 day notice immediately gives back a certain degree of control to the landlord, I would think.

                    xris

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So where are the most assertive PM 's to be found. I need to replace my timid one.
                      She is dealing with the unkempt practised users I feel and I am bearing the brunt financially of her ineffectiveness

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Agree with both Xris & Glenn

                        We were advised by WINZ of a tenant who's rent was being redirected that the redirection was to cease.

                        Phoned Winz - privacy act kicked in "we can give you a number of scenarios where that would happen however nothing regarding this client".
                        Spoke to client, had medical condition so children had been farmed out to whanau so not receiving benefit.

                        Eventually ten day notice issued and bond signed over, tenant terminated.

                        This however is not the owner's problem. That is why you employ a PM, if they cannot provide the service/security you require keep shopping.

                        Being end of the month I have just issued our statements to owners - on a couple of them are comments advising owner - this tenant is under a ten day letter or tenant has missed a payment and has made alternate arrangements to pay. We endeavour to communicate issues to owners - not for them to resolve but to let them know that they are getting the service that they are paying for.

                        As an owner as well we need to know that action has been taken that we will not be out of pocket at the end of the day.

                        Footnote: as a heartless landlord in the example above the tenant told us she was dying of cancer. Regardless we had the tenancy terminated. If alternative payment effort had been made (there was a partner in paid employment) we would have reconsidered - a second claim had to be made to tribunal due to repairs/cleaning after vacation - they tried to steal hotwater cylinder.

                        So we tend not to have a great deal of sympathy for all the sob stories that either prospective tenants or the media provide.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Win K View Post
                          Agree with both Xris & Glenn


                          Being end of the month I have just issued our statements to owners - on a couple of them are comments advising owner - this tenant is under a ten day letter or tenant has missed a payment and has made alternate arrangements to pay. We endeavour to communicate issues to owners - not for them to resolve but to let them know that they are getting the service that they are paying for.

                          As an owner as well we need to know that action has been taken that we will not be out of pocket at the end of the day.

                          .
                          Just to clarify, did you advise the owners prior to issuing the monthly statements that there was a problem with the rent not being paid when it was due?

                          One of my main gripes is if one of the tenants misses a payment, I think I should know about it immediately, not when the 10 day notice has been issued, or the deposit due in my bank account, or when the monthly statements turn up, esp. when it appears the agency has known about it for some "time" ..... in fact, I sacked an agency for this being the last straw of their "premium" charge service.... crikey knows what the "normal" service package would have provided.
                          S.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NESW View Post
                            One of my main gripes is if one of the tenants misses a payment, I think I should know about it immediately, not when the 10 day notice has been issued, or the deposit due in my bank account, or when the monthly statements turn up, esp. when it appears the agency has known about it for some "time" ..... in fact, I sacked an agency for this being the last straw of their "premium" charge service.... crikey knows what the "normal" service package would have provided.
                            Goodness that is a bit hard on the PM.
                            With monthly payouts the amount often varies. Depends on how many paydays there are in the month (like 4 or 5). Believe it or not many owners can not figure that one out. That is why they employ a PM.
                            Numerically challenged.
                            Then there are arrears payments and water money as so on.
                            What is the big issue if a tenant is a few days late with payment. Surely an owner would not need to know someone has paid two days late or what ever. If the owners account is that fragile then the problem will not be fixed by being informed. All the owner needs to do is leave a modest float in their bank account to allow for variables.
                            Really there is no substitute for having plenty of money when you are a landlord.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello nesw,

                              Yes that is tough. Do you mean it? There could be all sorts of things occuring behind the scenes.

                              If I were the pm I wouldn't want an owner who wanted to know every time the rent was one day late. In all seriousness I would sack the owner for interfering. If you pay someone to do a job you have to let them do it.

                              xris

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X