Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aucklanders in exodus to Hamilton - MAYBE

Aucklanders in exodus to Hamilton

Carlos and Annabel Barbosa with 2-year-old Greta at their Mystery Creek home. Photo / Christine Cornege

Aucklanders are looking as far away as Hamilton to buy homes as more people find themselves squeezed out of their local real estate market.
    Hamilton real estate agents say there has been a surge in inquiries about properties in their market where the average house price is $347,406.
    Other real estate commentators say some are even choosing to make the 90-minute commute over the Bombay Hills while maintaining their lifestyle in the Waikato.
    In Auckland, the average house price is $628,205 but that will not buy much for those wanting more than an apartment or a unit in the inner city suburbs.
    Sue Hall, of Hamilton's Ray White, said there was increased interest in the local market from Aucklanders with a "huge influx" making inquiries and many taking the trip south for a look.
    She said $600,000 could buy a modern four bedroom home with a decent section, two living areas, two bathrooms and a garage with enough room for three cars.
    "It's been quite recent, I would say there's been a huge influx in the past two months.

more in the Granny at
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10884980
    Last edited by donna; 29-07-2017, 12:47 PM.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Roll on the super fast rail between Hamilton and Auckland
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

I can see the grid lock between Hamilton and Auckland getting far worse as a result of the exodus, especially those that remain working in Auckland.
      IT Solution Architect by day.....property investor by night. All i need now is the bank as my butler and a cave with high capital gains.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
        Roll on the super fast rail between Hamilton and Auckland
        I think something like this is needed too. I'm going to bring this up in the Waikato Property Investors Association (WPIA) committee meeting, and see if WPIA can start to talk to Hamilton City Council and see if at least planning/costing for a project like this could be done?

I think a good public transport system from Hamilton and Auckland would add value to Hamilton, and allow more Aucklanders to live in Hamilton, but work in Auckland.

Ross
        Book a free chat here
        Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Good luck with that Rosco.

Lock the gate at the top of the Bombays.

Comment

Some improvements going North are long over due.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

1.5 hour to drive between Auckland and Hamilton during non-peak hours... no thanks.

I just don't see it happening.

Unless you can find the same paying job in Hamilton, everything else is a downgrade. Auckland is just much better, beaches, mountains, etc better living I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
                better living I think.
                that is in the eye of the beholder.
                I have much cheaper living (housing cost) and paid as well as I would in Ak.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  that is in the eye of the beholder.
                  I have much cheaper living (housing cost) and paid as well as I would in Ak.

I have lived in Auckland exclusively for the past 17 years so yes I'm bias.

I have been to Queenstown, CHCH, New Plymouth, Wellington, Hamilton, Rotorua, and the only place I would consider living outside of Auckland is Queenstown.

But I prefer Gold Coast =)

Renting in Gold Coast during NZ winter (cheaper to rent than maintaining a vacation home), and living in Auckland during summer, that's my idea of retirement living =)

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
                    But I prefer Gold Coast =)

Renting in Gold Coast during NZ winter (cheaper to rent than maintaining a vacation home), and living in Auckland during summer, that's my idea of retirement living =)
                    It is good some people have such aspirations.
                    It means the really nice places can stay under the radar, and so less crowded.

Comment

Funny how people have rose coloured glasses for there home town. Give me a small town any day. You should check out Tauranga its pretty nice here. Dunedin is still home but not sure if I can acclimitise back there but property prices are appealing as I want to go rural.

I have spent a lot of time in Queenstown personally unless you are rich it gets a bit boring outside skii season.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                        Funny how people have rose coloured glasses for there home town. Give me a small town any day. You should check out Tauranga its pretty nice here. Dunedin is still home but not sure if I can acclimitise back there but property prices are appealing as I want to go rural.

I have spent a lot of time in Queenstown personally unless you are rich it gets a bit boring outside skii season.

Yeah haha, usually people defend their neighbourhood no matter how bad it is (if they enjoy living there of course).

I have a friend whose aunty's family live in Detroit USA for the past 8 years, and they say how wonderful it is and tell my friend and her mum to visit Detroit... my friend was not impressed by that idea lmao!

But the aunt got laid off, and now coming back to Auckland. (Hope they can afford a house here...)

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                          It is good some people have such aspirations.
                          It means the really nice places can stay under the radar, and so less crowded.
                          Don't worry, I'm a city boy, so I prefer crowded places =)

Comment

Auckland is just much better, beaches, mountains, etc better living I think.
                            The mountains would be Mt Roskill, Mt Abert, One Tree Hill etc.

Mind you Hamilton is 1.5hrs closer to some real mountains though.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
                              The mountains would be Mt Roskill, Mt Abert, One Tree Hill etc.

Mind you Hamilton is 1.5hrs closer to some real mountains though.

Well I like the sea, beaches, sand, hence I would love to be able to spend my winter months in the Gold Coast =)

Comment

Working...
                              X