No announcement yet.

"Close Up" News Item TV1 19/5/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was in the Bells' shoes, I'd just default on my purchase.

Why go ahead with a purchase when you can't afford it? You'd have enough grounds to defend yourself in court - should your vendor decides to sue you.
    I believe in Time, not timing.

Comment

Originally posted by newkidontheblock View Post
      If I was in the Bells' shoes, I'd just default on my purchase.

Why go ahead with a purchase when you can't afford it? You'd have enough grounds to defend yourself in court - should your vendor decides to sue you.

Takes mental note (don't sell to NKOTB)
      www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
        Takes mental note (don't sell to NKOTB)
        Awwww...
        I believe in Time, not timing.

Comment

Lawyer

I wonder if this person ran the paperwork by the lawyer before signing.
          Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
          My Website
          Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

Originally posted by GJB68 View Post
            Put a clause in the contract stating the RE gets their commission on settlement.
            It's easy for a buyer to put in a clause as above. The REA will have palpitations. They, however, have to present the offer, and any serious vendor will accept. Of course this means that the RE will help with this deal to the bitter end....probably help you in with the furniture and make you your first cup of tea in the new house..

Comment

Crikey!

"There's nothing to see here."

Of course the agent is entitled to the commission. The agent's job is to obtain an unconditional buyer. It that buyer defaults, the vendor has the usual remedies under the contract, and part of the vendor's claim will be for the commission that they had to pay to the agent.

The appearance of a grumpy old woman on TV does not alter the position - and there is no controversy over this: the agent is entitled to the commission, because the agent has found an unconditional buyer. "Nothing to see here."

The real issue is this: Why use agents? In my experience, they tend to foul things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Fish View Post
                "There's nothing to see here."
                Agreed......but, as a buyer, if I don't get possession then I will retrieve my deposit from my solicitor's trust account and the REA will get his commission from the vendor.

No one is saying the REA shouldn't get commission, but a buyer can be sure it won't be from him if he adds that clause.

Comment

Yeah this sort of thing just makes me glad I'm not an agent any more. See this sort of stupid story all the time.

Glad to see most people here agree the agent did what they should have and deserved the commission.

The Bell woman expected the agent to try and bring the purchaser to the party because the agent would have to do it for free. Whereas as some have mentioned she'd have to spend some or all of her $16k booty paying a lawyer.

Contracts are contracts. They are only bits of paper and if the parties (1 or both) decide not to fulfull their part, there's bugger all that can be done a lot of the time. The deposit can be kept and the defaulting party pursued for damages but that whole process is very slow, costly and fraught with difficutly such as they have no money anyway or are firmly ensconced in China where everything is legal.

But of course it's an easy story for a Current Affairs Entertainment show to run. Poor honest homeowner has their money taken by rapacious real esate salesperson, blah blah blah.

David
                  Last edited by cube; 27-05-2008, 11:55 PM.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                  X