X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Vet Tenants

Hi All,

Being a landlord is not for the faint-hearted nor is it advisable for the ill-prepared, so this discussion is for any Landlord and property investor or property manager needing information on how to choose tenants today. What can you do and not do?

For example, can you do a police check of a prospective tenant?

If you've had a bad experience with a tenant can you publicise it to warn off other Landlords?

No - as it is a breach of the Privacy Act. See this Stuff article on landlords reporting antisocial tenants on websites and social media.

Put your knowledge on vetting tenants in this discussion as a resource for everyone navigating the perils of being a property investor today.

cheers,

Donna
    Prospective members of a landlord group are told they can get a discount on the membership fee if they add two tenants' names to the blacklist.
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Another addition to a TA, perhaps? I.e. . .

By signing this Tenancy Agreement [TA], the persons named in this TA consent to their details being added to a tenant history information database in the event that any of the persons named in the TA breach their obligations under the this TA or The Residential Tenancies Act.

Comment

Thanks, Perry and I thought I'd just link to your 'validity' post.

While it may seem obvious to many, some landlords may take the 'validity' of tenant references on face value. However there are cheats everywhere and tenants struggling with a dodgey renting history will do whatever they can to secure a rental - let it not be yours!

Originally posted by Perry View Post
      References are one thing.
      Checking their validity is another.
      and Perry's reply.....

A bogus reference is not valid, be that by phone, or in writing.

There have been reported cases of tenant references and referees being provided to the prospective LL by carefully chosen 'friends' of the tenant. I.e. Such references are fraudulent/invalid.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

A tenant / tenancy-type database.

Another opportunity for the NZPIF, if it had the wit to see and appreciate it.

Comment

"Hi Peter, I have a credit application from Jane Doe (fictitious name OK?). Jane has given me your number as a character reference. Can you tell me how you know her?"

Seems to catch out the friend who is posing as a landlord.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Please keep on topic in this discussion - crashy and perry your recent posts can be found in the appropriate discussion in CE.

Thanks

Donna

Comment

Examine the tenant's rental application carefully, paying particular attention to the information on their employment history, income, and prior tenancy.

Get a copy of the tenant's credit record to check their history of on-time bill payments.

Call the tenant's employer to confirm their employment and source of income.

Call the tenant's former landlords to enquire about their rental history and any problems that might have occurred when they were a tenant.

Investigate the tenant's criminal history to see if there is any evidence of past criminal conduct.

Examine the tenant's social media accounts to gain a sense of their way of life and conduct.

Check the tenant's government-issued identification to confirm their identity.

Meet the tenant in person: Meet the tenant in person to get a sense of their personality and behavior. Evaluate the tenant's living habits: Observe the tenant's living habits and make sure they align with your property's policies and standards. Consider using a tenant screening service: Consider using a professional tenant screening service to simplify the process and get a more comprehensive view of the tenant's background and history.
              Last edited by donna; 01-02-2023, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X