Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agent negligence putting personal and owners assets at risk during inspections.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent negligence putting personal and owners assets at risk during inspections.

Hi all,

Owning a few properties I always take great care when undertaking inspections.

I rent a property in Auckland, and have been there for just under 2 years. I am often not at the property, occupying it just 2-3 days per week. Each time the property has been inspected by the agent (with one exception) it has been inspected at a time I was unable to be present. Each time, the property has been left in a way which was different than when the agent entered. The first time was minor, just a light on. We ignored it. Second time, a window was left open until my wife came home in the middle of the night and closed it.

By far the most concerning was this past inspection. We were both out of country and unable to be present at the agents nominated time. The inspection went ahead as scheduled, and the inspecting agent left the oven on grill at 180 degrees. It was still on Grill at 180 degrees when I arrived home, 36 hours after the inspection. It was extremely hot and clearly a fire hazard. We know for a fact it was the agent that left it on, as we have never once used the oven because it was not cleaned (nor was the entire apartment) when we moved in. We have never even turned the oven on. The electricity bill shows increased usage at the time of the inspection, until I arrived home and turned the oven off.

Today I wrote to the agent, expressing my high level of concern, advising him that I had made a video from the point I entered the apartment, after the concerns of previous inspections. I am concerned that not only was all of our personal items at high risk, but the owners property was at risk, as was other properties (it is an apartment). The agent wrote back a one-liner, advising they would raise it at their next team meeting to caution staff to be more careful on inspections.

In your opinion, should I accept this or take a bite? We do want to stay at the property, but need to know that there will be a property to come back to after the next inspection. What are our rights?

One is to refuse inspections citing the danger you address in your post. Insist that inspections occurr while you are present.
    www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Suggest send the evidence to your contents insurance company if you have one, and also to the Body Corporate. Put your issue in writing to the agency principal and request specific actions, including as Keys suggest.

Name and shame the agent / agency via online reviews.

Comment

I wld only deal with the owner of the business but wld also refuse inspections unless u r home. Why wld an agent turn the oven on or open windows - unless something is wrong with them and they need repairing but other that they shldnt b touching them. To me the agent is incompetent and a hazard! I wld also get it logged with tenancy services in case something happens. That way ur protected

Comment

Originally posted by SPerfect View Post
          Why wld an agent turn the oven on or open windows - unless something is wrong with them and they need repairing
          So, how am I to know an oven is not working or a window is sticking if the tenant does not tell me? Hmmmm?

Or, maybe I should say:

So, hw m i to no n ovn s nt wkng r a wndw iz stkng if da tnt does nt tel me?

Not that I have unlimited access to characters on any forum such as this.
          www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
          X