"No application, no viewing."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
    That is the wording on a 'to let' add on Trademe. Elsewhere it states that the application form must be completed in full before a viewing can be arranged.

I've never heard of this before and seems a bit onerous. Imagine if every PM/landlord required this. Home-hunting tenants would be so busy filling in paperwork they'd never see any houses!

What are others' thought on this?
    This issue was already solved overseas, where the tenant fills one form online and use it whenever apply

Comment

Originally posted by ammar View Post
      This issue was already solved overseas, where the tenant fills one form online and use it whenever apply
      the issue is these people only want to view the property.:: they can't make a decision of if they want to apply until they know what they're applying for:

i certainly wouldn't bother inspecting this property if I were looking for a new place to live if that is the attitude of the managing agent... Nor would I let them manage one of my rentals.

Comment

That is the wording on a 'to let' add on Trademe. Elsewhere it states that the application form must be completed in full before a viewing can be arranged.

I've never heard of this before and seems a bit onerous. Imagine if every PM/landlord required this. Home-hunting tenants would be so busy filling in paperwork they'd never see any houses!

What are others' thought on this?
        There are a couple of firms in Wellington that do this....the only merit I can see with it is it would deter the tyre kickers and undesirable tenants......
        Fraser Wilkinson
        www.managemyrental.co.nz
        Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Yes we've seen it in Auckland as well. Particularly West Auckland a few years back. We don't do it.

As FJW said, they're basically trying to minimise no-shows and undesirables, which I can understand.
          Realistically though, you can either talk to everyone, or email if the tenant prefers (some don't provide contact numbers!), or meet them at the property.
          We use software that helps with no-shows by sending tenants a txt reminder 2 hours before the viewing.

ammar, we are always checking standard forms provided by TINZ, and TPS, etc. They promote this idea of a single form. We find the forms are a good start but insufficient for us.
          Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

Although we don't expect potential tenants to fill a proper application form, we do have a very short pre-application form which any potential tenants have to complete prior to viewing. This helps exclude any undesirables or time wasters. With the approval of the landlord, we have on some occasions only asked for a photo ID to be submitted before a viewing is arranged.

If we have one of our own rentals (not one which we manage), then we always ask for a pre-tenancy application form to be completed before viewing is arranged. We find this gives us the best outcomes. Once a tenant has viewed the property and are interested then they would need to fill the completed tenancy application form before final selection.
            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
            # Property Management
            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Yeah this reminds me of Sydney where they also have other tricks, like offering the place to the tenant willing to pay 6 months rent up front
              Your Home Loan - Wellington Mortgage Broker
              [email protected]

Comment

I also believe they do 'Rent Auctions' over in Sydney as well.....
                Fraser Wilkinson
                www.managemyrental.co.nz
                Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                  not sure they're legal but doesn't mean it doesn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                    They put a range to the rent 600-650. Also they ask for bank statements to check how the one spends his money.

Comment

Also they ask for bank statements to check how the one spends his money.
                      Bugger that. Totally intrusive and none of their business.
                      As long as they have the income and ace a credit check, it's none of my business where they shop or how often they get takeaways.
                      My blog. From personal experience.
                      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Bugger that. Totally intrusive and none of their business.
                        As long as they have the income and ace a credit check, it's none of my business where they shop or how often they get takeaways.
                        It is to check if they gamble or spend money in suspicious activities making them not able to pay rent even if they have good salary

Comment

It is to check if they gamble or spend money in suspicious activities making them not able to pay rent even if they have good salary
                          Still none of the landlord's business unless they're doing something illegal on the premises, and that's not going to show up on a bank statement.

When I apply for a mortgage I'm not asked for that level of information. It's private info about your lifestyle.
                          My blog. From personal experience.
                          http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Application form – you can see it from both sides and still not everybody will agree, or you pay somebody to do the selection for you.

Giving a potential renter the chance to stand out of the crowd is a win-win for both parties. Since we do that for more than 6 years we did not suffer any tenancy issues. It pays off to wait for the right tenant.
                            Last edited by Perry; 21-01-2017, 07:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Working...
                            X