Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"No application, no viewing."

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "No application, no viewing."

    That is the wording on a 'to let' add on Trademe. Elsewhere it states that the application form must be completed in full before a viewing can be arranged.

    I've never heard of this before and seems a bit onerous. Imagine if every PM/landlord required this. Home-hunting tenants would be so busy filling in paperwork they'd never see any houses!

    What are others' thought on this?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

  • #2
    Have to wonder of the owner is aware that the PM is significantly reducing his/her workload and the pool of prospective tenants.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sidinz View Post
      That is the wording on a 'to let' add on Trademe. Elsewhere it states that the application form must be completed in full before a viewing can be arranged.

      I've never heard of this before and seems a bit onerous. Imagine if every PM/landlord required this. Home-hunting tenants would be so busy filling in paperwork they'd never see any houses!

      What are others' thought on this?
      I think that is a good idea
      I would say there is no additional work as it will be just a copy of a existing application
      The PM normally question the tenant anyway...the application will make it easier

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds like the sort of crap some desperate companies try and pull off. I don't think I have ever had a time where I have gone ahead with something sold on this basis.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sounds so like creating paper work for the sake of it and wasting a lot of time. Applicants will have to fill out applications for properties they won't want after viewing. Good applicants won't be bothered to keep filling out applications after missing out on other properties.

          The only positive is the PM won't have to do his job as often.

          Comment


          • #6
            I see the benefits in both directions.
            Renters have everything online to pre-select whether a rental is suitable or not in the same way when looking to purchase a house.

            Just roaming around, looking what to get... not willing to show cooperation – is that the desired tenant you want? How many times did you make an appointment, but the interested renter did not even show up?

            Time is the only asset you can’t create.
            Applicants who value other people's time are also good tenants.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by klauster View Post
              Just roaming around, looking what to get... not willing to show cooperation – is that the desired tenant you want? How many times did you make an appointment, but the interested renter did not even show up?

              Time is the only asset you can’t create.
              Applicants who value other people's time are also good tenants.
              I bet you would see things quite differently if you were the buyer.

              From time to time in business, I come across a company who demands the n'th degree before giving any info. I struggle to recall any time I have indulged such nonsense and it hasn't turned out to be a complete waste of time. Inveriably sellers who operate like that fall short in reality and the mystery deal was crappy compared to what I can get elsewhere with a quick phone call to their competitors and no bull****.

              It's very unlikely I would bother these days. Plenty of sellers of "stuff". I'm the client - get that right.
              Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 17-01-2017, 11:23 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                You get time wasters on both sides. Canceled viewings and PM's not turning up as well as no show applicants.

                As for having everything they need online to make their picks on what to go for that's rubbish. When have you ever found anything online which is exactly as described and pictured. You can't get a feel for a place until you're standing in it.

                I guess right now it's a LL's market so making applicants jump through annoying hoops will help to thin the lazy and too busy a little. Still lose a few good ones as well though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Learning View Post
                  I guess right now it's a LL's market so making applicants jump through annoying hoops will help to thin the lazy and too busy a little.
                  Ha! The ones with options can and do walk.

                  "Too busy" = earning money to pay rent, bills and living expenses. People with a credit card and no time / couldn't be bothered calling around my competitors (who are cheaper and sell a lower quality product) are my best customers.

                  It's stuff like which highlight that residential property is not a business and some of it's biggest pushers could not survive outside of "capital gains" and easy bank money.
                  Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 17-01-2017, 04:19 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                    It's stuff like [that?] which highlights that residential property is not a business . . .
                    That's simply neither fair nor true, Michael. It's a generalisation (as the media is wont to make) that wont stand up to even modest scrutiny.

                    Yes - there are some who may be "in it" for untaxed gains; but no, most PIs (incl. me and many others on PT) treat it as a business and run it as such.
                    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Perry View Post
                      Yes - there are some who may be "in it" for untaxed gains; but no, most PIs (incl. me and many others on PT) treat it as a business and run it as such.
                      It's not just tax, but also the outrageous financial and lending metrics.

                      I have previously applied for, and been granted, bank lending for business. In that case I did not proceed with the loan because the vendor of the business I wanted to buy (to incorporate into mine) did not accept my offer, but I am well aware of the "case" which needs to be made.

                      Furthermore, the attitude of the whole thing sucks. A customer is a customer and one with money to spend is a good one... in my book.
                      Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 17-01-2017, 04:44 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                        It's not just tax, but also the outrageous financial and lending metrics.

                        I have previously applied for, and been granted, bank lending for business. In that case I did not proceed with the loan because the vendor of the business I wanted to buy (to incorporate into mine) did not accept my offer, but I am well aware of the "case" which needs to be made.

                        Furthermore, the attitude of the whole thing sucks. A customer is a customer and one with money to spend is a good one... in my book.

                        I agree a customer is a customer where you trade a widget for a payment.

                        You're ignoring the risk factor of individual borrowers... Not all customers are the same when you give the customer a large chunk of cash and you're trusting that the customer will pay the bill and eventually pay off the original lending.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                          You're ignoring the risk factor of individual borrowers... Not all customers are the same when you give the customer a large chunk of cash and you're trusting that the customer will pay the bill and eventually pay off the original lending.
                          I am talking about the financial arrangement between the landlord and the bank. If this was on the same basis as any other business lending, there are several present here who would have had their wings clipped.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Unlike a lot of business lending, with property loans they have a concrete asset they can repossess and sell. So I suppose the risk appetite is a little greater.
                            My blog. From personal experience.
                            http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Its crazy to expect prospective tenants to fill out an application form for a property they may not be interested in till viewed. And its not a matter of cyclostyling the exact same information for each landlords application as they are often different. I email one out pre-viewing but only as optional if they want to fill it in prior.
                              If there inquiry came with an automated trademe feedback rating which looks dismal i don't even reply.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X