PM charges more than quoted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM charges more than quoted!

What are your thoughts on a PM giving quote for some work, then going ahead and doing "supposedly" extras and charging you for all that without your prior consent.
    Is it legal / ethical to do this?
    Also, how much does it cost to install a bathroom extractor fan ? I was quoted $350 + gst and the bill is for $700 now !!

i would ask for an explanation of the bill - seems the work was more complicated than first expected - why?

+ why the quote was so wrong, see above

have you given the pm authority to pay bill up to 1? week's rent without your authority?

if this payment is outside that pre-approval

and the explanation isn't acceptable

start looking for another pm

while we're on pm issues

i recently had need to take an apartment out of barfoot's management at short notice

unlike problems someone reported getting out of ray white's 1 year notice

barfoot's didn't hold me to the standard 1 month notice
    thank you barfoot!

have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Thanks, I did ask for an explanation with copies of invoices - no reply yet !
      My contract with PM says to "contact owner for maintenance " and there have been 6 instances within a 6 week period of unsubstantiated work done !
      Can I take this up with the disputes tribunal as exceeding the quoted figure without my approval seems to be not in line with the Consumer Guarantees Act....

Comment

sounds like you'd have a case

but don't be slow as it also shows all the signs of the company folding...
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

I would have said that if they've done unauthorised maintenance, you're not liable to pay for it. Just like a tenant who does so.
          My blog. From personal experience.
          http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

It depends on your deal. With my PM I said anything under $500 to fix it and send me the invoice in the monthly report. You have to let them do their job and be proactive with your property. If something seems like it cost too much then ask why, it's not as if the PM did the work themselves, they will be using a contractor and passing on the bill.
              Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                If something seems like it cost too much then ask why, it's not as if the PM did the work themselves, they will be using a contractor and passing on the bill.
                Indeed.
                Sometimes I wonder if they were paying the bill themselves if they would be happy with the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                  It depends on your deal. With my PM I said anything under $500 to fix it and send me the invoice in the monthly report. You have to let them do their job and be proactive with your property.
                  As per my examples, absolutely not. The ones I have come across just want to throw money away by sending a tradie - any tradie - without actually ascertaining what the problem is, and then clip the ticket.

No way do I want to pay at least $150 to send a plumber only to find out that it was actually an appliance leaking or a $2 plastic washer that takes 30 seconds to install.

I just don't trust them to make good spending decisions with my money.

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                    ......was actually an appliance leaking or a $2 plastic washer that takes 30 seconds to install.
                    An old joke about the plumber being called to fix a hot water cylinder problem. Calls in. Looks around, scratches his head and makes a small adjustment. The bill came in at $650.

The owner streniously complains and gets the following answer.

Travel time and mileage $45. Fixing the problem $5.

Knowing what to do $600.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Keys, I don't doubt that you'd get the info you needed and make the right call. Unfortunately, the ones here in Auckland I've tried weren't interested in trying to narrow down the issue and make an informed decision on which expert to send (if any).

I expect PMs to have basic home-owner type skills in order to diagnose faults/sort out simple problems. But there are too many who set themselves up but are clueless about things like that.

Comment

Hi Rohit

Do you have a clause in your contract where if the work is under a certain dollar value then the agent goes ahead without informing you? It might pay to check that.

Was the work that was done, was it urgent and a health and safety concern?

In terms of the price for a bathroom extractor fan install it really varies and there are a lot of variables such as;

a) What is the cladding of the exterior?

b) Did they install it in the ceiling and vent it through the ceiling to the outside? or was it a back to back i.e installed on the exterior wall so the vents didn't have to go through any other walls etc?
                        Fraser Wilkinson
                        www.managemyrental.co.nz
                        Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                          Hi Rohit

Do you have a clause in your contract where if the work is under a certain dollar value then the agent goes ahead without informing you? It might pay to check that.

Was the work that was done, was it urgent and a health and safety concern?

In terms of the price for a bathroom extractor fan install it really varies and there are a lot of variables such as;

a) What is the cladding of the exterior?

b) Did they install it in the ceiling and vent it through the ceiling to the outside? or was it a back to back i.e installed on the exterior wall so the vents didn't have to go through any other walls etc?
                          They were given a quote and the price came in a lot higher.
                          The quote should have taken into account the cladding etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            They were given a quote and the price came in a lot higher.
                            The quote should have taken into account the cladding etc.
                            I just ignore FJW - he always comes in very late to the party, sometimes weeks after the discussion's finished, doesn't read the previous replies and just repeats whatever's been said or makes statements that show he's missing pertinent information from the thread. It's his MO and really annoying.

Comment

Working...
                            X