Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do.

Hi forumites.

One of todays problems is coming to a nasty swelling head.

I have a tenant who had his throat cut recently. He appeared in the newspaper.
    The throat cutter accused has been apprehended by the police. That person comes from out of town.

However one member of the police has rung me suggesting I need to get rid of the tenant.
    Now the tenant has been a good payer for over five years. He is a bit pesky asking for this and that but not too bad. He has a mental health problem as well as a drink problem. He is a generous person who would not harm a fly.
    Now a neighborhood vigalantee group has written to the owner asking we terminate the tenant. They have written a letter with a number of allegations about the tenant.
    Fifty people have signed the letter.

Can I have some opinions about people like this.
    What would you do when you and the owner know that the tenant can not help himself and is a reasonably good tenant.

Could he endanger the wider community where he lives? If so, the community have every right to ASK for him to leave. As you know they can't make him leave.

How would you and the owner feel, if he completely lost the plot and killed someone in that community? Could you be held culpable by doing nothing? Can he be assessed by the mental health professionals and given assistance, and possibly housing?

The only professional thing that the LL can do is give 90 days notice to vacate. Just had a very quick look at the RTA, possibly use Section 40 (2)(c)?

If he moves on, he just becomes someone elses problem. No matter where he goes, he will be problematic.

This is a classic NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) situation.
    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
      What would you do when you and the owner know that the tenant can not help himself and is a reasonably good tenant.
      I would trust my own judgement.
      If you think he's likely to go postal then get rid of him. As noted he then becomes someone elses problem, but it's not your job to accept responsibility on behalf of your client. Quite the opposite i would have thought.
      On the other hand if you think he's not too bad then i would trust you instinct and screw what others think or say.

Comment

HE had HIS throat cut and they want HIM to move out...sympathetic bunch that lot. Maybe he should move out, and get shot of some rubbish neighbours. Not the "peer out behind net curtain types" are they by chance??
        Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Could he endanger the wider community where he lives
          He does not have any history of doing that to the best of my knowledge. He is not bad he is sick.

Can he be assessed by the mental health professionals and given assistance, and possibly housing?
          That has already happened like lots of other mentally sick people in Nelson. The mental health people have come to me to house him as they have with the two connected flats. Had you not noticed the Government no longer cares for the sick in our community they leave that sort of thing to the likes of me.

The only professional thing that the LL can do is give 90 days notice to vacate
          Where do I stop. No more autistic tenants. No more dwarfs. No more unemployed. No more females. No more short people. No more refugees that have been boy soldiers. This describes many of my tenants. How dare you suggest it is a professional thing to kick them out. Sure I have kicked out plenty of bad payers, those that have noise control out, that smash up flats, that upset my other tenants. He does none of these things.

Comment

Can the allegations made by the 50 neighbours be substantiated or is it complete hearsay? I'd start there.

Comment

Where do I stop. No more autistic tenants. No more dwarfs. No more unemployed. No more females. No more short people. No more refugees that have been boy soldiers.
              Some of those cover the types of tenants my owners don't want. I have an owner who is a solo mum and an islander. She specifically does not want solo mums nor islanders.
              www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Actually the horrible little dwarf caused more flack for me than the others. Everyone hates him.
                Sure he did hold up a chemist with a knife. But then my chemist friend who was held up has thick shins.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                  Can the allegations made by the 50 neighbours be substantiated or is it complete hearsay? I'd start there.
                  Well I recognise some of the names on the petition. I would not want to trust their judgement.
                  I once saw a petition in a near by community against some evil person who was catching cats and exporting them all to China.
                  This is the sort of community that exists. People will sign anything.

Comment

Who cares, your all mental in Nelson. What are you meant to do? kick him out so he can move around the corner? I don't see alot of options for him down there.

Comment

Maybe you need a well worded letter to these pillars of society about sorting out their own business before they get involved in others.

Comment

However one member of the police has rung me suggesting I need to get rid of the tenant.
                        Is this police officer part of or somehow connected to the community group that has sent you the petition or completely independent? And did s/he give a reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Xav View Post
                          Is this police officer part of or somehow connected to the community group that has sent you the petition or completely independent? And did s/he give a reason?
                          I am not sure. But last night the police called on him at 3 am in the morning and took him off to the cells without a charge then sent him home by taxi in the morning.
                          When he got home the front door was wide open and on the table was a copy of the letter / petition. On top of the letter holding it down was a bunch of bananas.
                          I think it is about time we got some of those police from Fiji to come and work in Nelson.
                          I am now expecting the police to come and take me away in the night as well for not terminating his tenancy.
                          I have just returned from talking to him. He showed me the petition / letter.

Comment

Did this officer use his name and rank when addressing you? and did he ring you on your home number? how did he get this? I would of rang the police station and questioned why you are being rang over a domestic matter where polices involvement has no right.
                            Send him to whanganui.
                            Last edited by Glizzle; 31-10-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glizzle View Post
                              Did this officer use his name and rank when addressing you? and did he ring you on your home number? how did he get this? I would of rang the police station and questioned why you are being rang over a domestic matter where polices involvement has no right.
                              Send him to whanganui.
                              He rang me on my mobile from a blocked number.
                              He gave me his full name but not rank.
                              I fail to see what a landlord can do when the police overstep the mark.
                              If I make too much fuss I find that next time I ring for an assult case or similar they claim they are too busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X