The Metaverse. Buying property there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Metaverse. Buying property there?

I won't geek you all out with the tech details.
    But some people are paying big money for sections on a couple of Metaverse sites.

I suppose what makes a virtual section useful will only become apparent if you move in next to a celebrity ,
    or some unique financial or social service is only available in that world.

Kids who are gamers will have no problem wrapping their heads around this concept.

But real land is real land, and virtual land is at the mercy of the internet or the virtual platform provider.. I hear you say!

But, without the government of the real world to protect your right to your land, or the councils to provide road access , water , shops ect, what shape would your real world ownership and access be in?

Have put offers in on land in Aetherian City/ Decentraland.

I'm thinking off buying buy the university, plenty of young people ,I don't know if they have much money though

Quality Virtual land is going through the roof...bloody greedy investors

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffa View Post

I'm thinking off buying buy the university, plenty of young people ,I don't know if they have much money though

I need a decent virtual property manager, it's the wild west atm

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffa View Post

Hmm, interesting.
        I hope it works out for you.

I've thought about this kind of thing for decades, but the tech just wasn't up to it.

(It's all a little bit of a bore for me now, since it's been alive in my mind for so long).

Comment

^^ Yes it's another world - one we find hard to fathom but with Facebook (Meta) going big on it - many are making big $$ already with the metaverse coins etc.

To hang out in the metaverse you need a really good fibre plan.

cheers,

Donna
          SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hello. I wish to buy approximately 1 acre on which to grow a few vegetables and an orchard as a relaxing hobby (I'm currently limited to a very small area in the back garden) but how do I go about it?

Do I just approach farmers in the area and ask if they would sell me a corner of a field? Seems cheeky!

Comment

We have land in the sandbox.

cheers

Donna

Comment

Funny you mention it Jeffa, I actually have been ultra lucky in getting some real quality large blocks.

I have to quit them fast though, so will give you 95% off the price, if you buy enough units.

How much money were you thinking of putting into this ?

I may just have enough to supply you, that exactly match's how much money have to invest into this.

Comment

Will they take my virtual imaginary money?
                  I have lots of 1s and 0s to swap.
                  The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I wonder in a couple of decades what the jokes are going to be on these "nothing for money" ponzi schemes like Bitcoin and NFT's.

Comment

^^ Tell that to the teenagers who love it - and they're the future.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                        But real land is real land, and virtual land is at the mercy of the internet or the virtual platform provider.. I hear you say!
                        But, without the government of the real world to protect your right to your land, or the councils to provide road access , water , shops ect, what shape would your real world ownership and access be in?
                        This concept is nothing new. You are talking about 'trust'. Without sufficient trust, the cost of investment is high.
                        I invest in NZ - because there is a high level of trust, rule of law, and low level of instability - this is all relative of course.
                        We cannot ignore the value of a decent social contract and society.

In law, 'property' is described simply as a bundle of rights - the right to use, the right to exploit etc, and most importantly, the right to exclude.

When seen in this lens, virtual 'property' is also a bundle of rights. So the big questions for me are - what are the rules, who writes and enforces the rules?

The rules define what bundle of rights I would acquire. In life, the most valuable right is the right to exclude.

I know nothing about property in the 'metaverse'. But I would be keen to know what rights come with the 'property', and how others excluded from exercising the same rights.

In life, property is scarce, like any good or service. Land is limited. Buildings take time and resources to develop. The big question is how scarce is property in the virtual landscape?

Comment

Originally posted by xsfat View Post
                          In life, property is scarce, like any good or service. Land is limited. Buildings take time and resources to develop. The big question is how scarce is property in the virtual landscape?
                          In theory, it's infinite.
                          But in reality, the bottleneck is the amount of storage space on computers.

I agree that access is the main value, but "access to what" is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                            I wonder in a couple of decades what the jokes are going to be on these "nothing for money" ponzi schemes like Bitcoin and NFT's.
                            You need to broaden your investment horizon.

BTC used to be 20c a coin.

Wanting it to crash means all BTC holder's have to think with your mindset

How's that working out with the Arden government... not everyone thinks alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                              Isn't your wife Tongan?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/bitcoin-...161659795.html

Comment

Working...
                              X