2022 - You're Best Guesses On What It'll Bring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 - You're Best Guesses On What It'll Bring

Getting in early, now. What say you, all you soothsayers?
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

More rent controls. Cause it's all those nasty speculators fault!
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Well then, let's speculate about politics and the next NZ General Election.

(If there is one. Comrade commissar Cindy might declare herself PM for life!)

What was supposed to be a 2021 NZ Budget was an embarrassingly naked vote-buying exercise by the socio-commies. Not that the taxpayer-funded, no-longer-independent, gummint-captivated media would tell you so - of course. The false-Budget would be an embarrassment for all thinking people. Were it not for their own ignorance. It was a budget-that wasn't.

A 'budget' that (courtesy of the few remaining, productive, working taxpayers of NZ) was pitched at taxpayer-paid-for, motel-resident 'beneficiaries,' too-longa-loafer couch potato 'beneficiaries,', unionists, lefties and the watermelon [used-to-be-greens] nut cases. All captive voting-box-fodder for the thinly-disguised racist communists presently passing themselves off as the NZ representative gummint.

One thing remains an absolute certainty: socio-commies never learn.

Never.

Ever.

Not from the mistakes of others.

Nor from the mistakes of their own ultra-short-sighted and bottomless stupidity.

There's an old saying that goes:

You can always win an argument with a wise person
      But you can never win an argument with a fool.
      Because the socio-commie fool is sure that he's right.
      Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Property investors have assets. That means they have choices that those with no net assets don't have. We now have an uncertain environment in which dramatic and / or costly decisions are taken with no warning. Couple that with new rules that aim to adjust responsibilities and rights and so far have succeeded in a massive increase in complexity for landlords.

So predictions for 2022.
        - Property managers will lose clients as they sell or change use of rentals.
        - Fortunately they will pick up new clients who choose not to deal with tenants and new rules.
        - More funding will be needed for Tenancy Services from taxpayers as funding from bonds is already not enough. Media will report on the reasons for this hahaha.
        - Rental shortages will increase in many locations and due largely to that rents will rise and landlords will be very picky indeed.
        - Leading to more taxpayer funding for social and emergency housing. Maybe even John Campbell reporting on families living in cars. (OK probably not.)
        - The current Labour government will pretend they are not panicking about the consequences of their housing decisions.

For a start ....

Comment

jacinda will have a protracted lead up to the wedding with many interviews and NZ will be captivated by the reality show?

interest rates will begin to rise slightly making houses unaffordable for everyone. Anyone with a large mortgage will be stuffed.

Food prices will also increase at a faster than usual rate as the minimum wage and the demands for living wages increase.

Labour will try to normalise the 4 day week at full pay and employers will be hounded by the Press if they insist people work 40 hour weeks so prices of everything will go up. Employers will react by automating everything they can as fast as they can as it now makes financial sense. (New world down the road just put in a whole bank of new self service counters).

there will be many more claims for miscarriage leave than Labour expected as women who miss a period decide they must have been pregnant so need 3 days off. (Note I am not adverse someone who is verified 3+ months pregnant and miscarries taking time off but perhaps they could use sick leave first?).

There will be many new variants of the virus over the year and the vaccine will become less effective. At some point it will manage to get into the country and spread and the government will be in the process of pulling apart DHBs and won’t have the new set up functioning and there will be chaos and there will be a lot of blaming. People will then get to understand that a vaccine is not 100% effective so there will be many deaths and long term disabled from covid in NZ.

on the plus side new industries may replace some China made products as people who can afford it become more loyal to NZ made products.

there will be lots of articles on parking space punch ups as more building in town are built without car parks.

oh, and as the borders open all the hoteliers will want to let out their rooms to tourists at higher prices so will not renew contracts with government for isolation units and the government will struggle to find any who will. And homeless who are being homed in motels will get turfed out and the true housing situation will be apparent. The government might start looking at compulsory acquisition of motels for homeless accommodation taking away the property rights of the moteliers. Or sneakily bring in legislation that turns a stay in a motel into a tenancy situation if they have lived there more than 90 days and apply that retrospectively.
          Last edited by hawkeye; 23-05-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I do wonder just who or what the current crop of socio-commie clowns will blame when all their housing snake-oil nostrums fail? As they almost inevitably will.

WARNING
            E-con-o-mist babble ahead.

Budget 2021: Sharp house price adjustment? Not so much in Christchurch
            21 May 2021
            Originally posted by STUFFed
            CoreLogic chief property economist Kelvin Davidson said overall the Budget did not actually have a huge amount related to housing supply or demand in it. The fund announced for additional housing supply was probably not enough, he said. Davidson thought the Government was instead putting it hopes in the measures it announced in March. These included doubling the bright-line test on residential property, as well as spending billions in an attempt to boost housing supply.

First home buyer fatigue: their share of purchases drop to lowest since 2018
            17 May 2021
            Originally posted by STUFFed
            Embattled first home buyers have been leaving the market, with a new report showing their share of purchases fell to the lowest level in three years earlier this year. First home buyers accounted for a 21.5 per cent market share nationwide in the first three months of this year, according to CoreLogic's latest first home buyer report. That was down from 24.8 per cent six months ago and at its lowest level since the start of 2018. CoreLogic's Kelvin Davidson said this suggested first home buyers were fatigued by the struggle to keep up with escalating house prices and deposit requirements.

Comment

I suppose another way of looking at the vote-buying largesse recently dished out by the socio-commies is that comrade commissar Cindy has moved the NZ retirement age from 65 to 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                There's an old saying that goes:

You can always win an argument with a wise person
                But you can never win an argument with a fool.
                Because the -- fool is sure that he's right.
                You seem pretty sure about that.
                Sorry, it was too easy.

Comment

With the cost of timber, copper and steal doubling and wages for builder's increasing this year and next, interest rates still historically low, 2022 house price inflation will be at the 10% minimum range.

I just can't see house prices growing 0.8% as stated by the Finance Minister, how?

The new tax laws barely effect me or many other investors, but if they want to buy overpriced new builds to claim tax for a few years with no land go for it.. Check back in ten years and see which house is worth more,I can guarantee it's the house with land.

The enormous cost of a new builds will force buyer's back into existing stock pushing up prices.

New builds are supposed to be the cure for house price inflation, It will be the cause moving forward.
                  Last edited by Jeffa; 30-05-2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffa View Post
                    With the cost of timber, copper and steal doubling and wages for builder's increasing this year and next, interest rates still historically low, 2022 house price inflation will be at the 10% minimum range.

I just can't see house prices growing 0.8% as stated by the Finance Minister, how?

The new tax laws barely effect me or many other investors, but if they want to buy overpriced new builds to claim tax for a few years with no land go for it.. Check back in ten years and see which house is worth more,I can guarantee it's the house with land.

The enormous cost of a new builds will force buyer's back into existing stock pushing up prices.

New builds are supposed to be the cure for house price inflation, It will be the cause moving forward.
                    The problem with a pyramid scheme is that you eventually run out of people at the base.
                    It only takes 13 iterations to use up all the people on the planet.
                    Other supply restrictions cut in way before then.

Last edited by McDuck; 30-05-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

...... The enormous cost of a new builds will force buyer's back into existing stock pushing up prices.

Government rental policies, and not just the March changes, will have a flow on effect on availability, prices and buying intentions. And there is the migration unknown - inwards and outwards. But just what that effect will be is crystal ball stuff and might not clarify much until the 'new build' rules are determined.

To my mind, property investors are pretty smart and tend to do the sums. For purchases now, new build or existing, those sums are going to be problematic unless prices start dropping significantly. But not as problematic as for developers whose investor buyer market starts fading and the bank gets worried. We saw effects on developers and their tradies in the GFC.

Comment

It'll happen just as it did with kiwijilt - all those affordable houses that weren't. I have to keep stressing it, because it seems that few socio-commie (once-was-labour) supporters get it.

This won't work.

And this isn't sustainable.

If one placed comrade commissar Cindy and her socio-commie sycophants in charge of the Sahara Desert, in less than five years, there'd be a shortage of sand.
                        They - the socio-commies - never learn. Never. Ever.

Comment

All this anti-labour stuff is a bit tedious IMHO. They get in power every decade or so, the sky won't fall in, I'm sure the electoral wheel will turn again at some stage, but the policies won't necessarily be all that much different.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptic View Post
                            All this anti-labour stuff is a bit tedious IMHO. They get in power every decade or so, the sky won't fall in, I'm sure the electoral wheel will turn again at some stage, but the policies won't necessarily be all that much different.
                            I doubt that any previous labour government has done so much damage in a short time, especially to property investors. So I guess there is a little reason to be a little pissed with them.
                            "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Comment

Originally posted by Frezzinghot View Post
                              I doubt that any previous labour government has done so much damage in a short time, especially to property investors. So I guess there is a little reason to be a little pissed with them.
                              Most of the damage, and I agree plenty has been done, is to the taxpayer. Social housing waiting lists and households in motels etc up dramatically and no sign of slowing.

Housing Minister Woods said the other day (while requesting compassion from landlords LOL) "We've got information and data that tells us that actually people are often coming from private rentals before they fall into transitional housing or emergency housing''. Well duh.

Panicking.

Comment

Working...
                              X