Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax change. Interest can no longer be offset. Who's effected and how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax change. Interest can no longer be offset. Who's effected and how?

Tax change.

(Unconfirmed rumor).

Interest can no longer be offset against income from your day job.

Who's affected and how?

Short term cashflow ok.. rent still comes in.

Long term asset accumulation ok ...Capital gain still happens.

Who's on the line, and by how much ?

Last edited by McDuck; 24-03-2021, 07:15 AM. Reason: Effect or affect. ? Probably affect.

Hi
    The way i understand it.....

My Interest bill is $25000 per annum
    My Rental Income is $25000 per annum
    $25000 interest - $25000 income = no tax to pay.

Now
    My Interest bill is $25000 per annum cant be claimed anymore.
    $25000 income = $3400 tax to pay roughly

So I am out of pocket $65 per week.

Who is effected ?
    My tenant....if I try to get back to where I was yesterday...their rent goes up $65 per week.

or

Me....my income in my retirement has gone down $65 per week if I dont increase rent.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
      Tax change.

(Unconfirmed rumor).

Interest can no longer be offset against income from your day job.

Who's effected and how?

Short term cashflow ok.. rent still comes in.

Long term asset accumulation ok ...Capital gain still happens.

Who's on the line, and by how much ?

Nothing to me, cashflow is strong and by the looks of things is about to get better!

And the best time to sell property is when you go to the grave. (So never)

nothing to see here, move along, move along.

Getting into the investment market might be another story now.
      "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Comment

Originally posted by richard56 View Post
        Hi

Now

Who is effected ?
        My tenant....if I try to get back to where I was yesterday...their rent goes up $65 per week.

or

Me....my income in my retirement has gone down $65 per week if I dont increase rent.

Richard
        Rent hike! Rent hike! Rent hike!

Comment

If you acquired a property before 27 March 2021, you can still claim interest (for loans that already existed for that property) as an expense against your residential property income, but this amount will reduce by 25% each income year until the ability to deduct the interest is completely phased-out from the 2025–26 income year. If you have a standard balance date, the proposed change will be phased in as follows:Income yearPercent of interest you can claim1 April 2020–31 March 2021100%1 April 2021–31 March 2022 (transitional year)1 April 2021 to 30 September 2021 - 100%1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 - 75%1 April 2022–31 March 202375%1 April 2023–31 March 202450%1 April 2024–31 March 202525%From 1 April 2025 onwards0%

King Jeffa knows all....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffa View Post
            If you acquired a property before 27 March 2021, you can still claim interest (for loans that already existed for that property) as an expense against your residential property income, but this amount will reduce by 25% each income year until the ability to deduct the interest is completely phased-out from the 2025–26 income year. If you have a standard balance date, the proposed change will be phased in as follows:Income yearPercent of interest you can claim1 April 2020–31 March 2021100%1 April 2021–31 March 2022 (transitional year)1 April 2021 to 30 September 2021 - 100%1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 - 75%1 April 2022–31 March 202375%1 April 2023–31 March 202450%1 April 2024–31 March 202525%From 1 April 2025 onwards0%

King Jeffa knows all....
            Thanks for the explanation Jeffa

Comment

Hi

Now

Who is effected ?

or

Richard
              How do you figure that? Company tax rate of 28% would mean you're now out of pocket $135 a week.
              I suspect a lot of negatively geared investors will be sweating

Comment

"How do you figure that? Company tax rate of 28% would mean you're now out of pocket $135 a week."

Yes your correct.
                I just did a quick and nasty Google search on tax on $25000 just to have some numbers.
                But yes it will cost some one...me or my tenants.
                Richard

Comment

Hi

Richard
                  Thanks Richard.

Do you feel that the whole landlord situation has become financially unsustainable?

Would you be looking to exit the Landlord game?
                  (Or is it still the best game in town?).

Do you feel that the recent 25% gain in asset value more than makes up for this temporary slight cashflow reduction.
                  Does that 200k per property you just made soften the slight revenue loss?

Comment

King Jeffa knows all....
                    Hi
                    What happens if I renew an existing IO loan to a P&I after that 27th date ?
                    In that renewed loan considered new or existing?
                    Thanks
                    Richard

Comment

"How do you figure that? Company tax rate of 28% would mean you're now out of pocket $135 a week."

Yes your correct.
                      I just did a quick and nasty Google search on tax on $25000 just to have some numbers.
                      But yes it will cost some one...me or my tenants.
                      Richard
                      You have to account for inflation once it is fully phased in so you can expect rents to exceed $1000 per week by 2025.

Comment

The settlement date is 15th Apr, so we missed out? No claim for interest. Agreement signed yesterday.

Comment

JOB

You have to account for inflation .....
                          Will you be financially affected by the tax changes?
                          From memory, you've already exited your 70K pa job, so wouldn't be claiming tax back from your PAYE anyway..
                          You're a buy and hold player, so youre not affected by the brightline shift.
                          So .. life usual for you?
                          Last edited by McDuck; 23-03-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post

Thanks Richard.

Do you feel that the whole landlord situation has become financially unsustainable? For someone already in the game for 8 years...not yet.

Would you be looking to exit the Landlord game? Not in the next few years but it would be nice if the goal post in this game were not constantly moving.
                            (Or is it still the best game in town?).

Do you feel that the recent 25% gain in asset value more than makes up for this temporary slight cashflow reduction.
                            Does that 200k per property you just made soften the slight revenue loss? ???? What 25% you shouldn't read headlines...i have one rental in Papakura only.
                            It went up just under 6% between Jan and now $40,000 of UNREALISED gain
                            Nowhere near $200k or 25%

see above
                            Richard

Comment

My interest is currently around $7300 p.a so about $140/week for me by the time it's phased in. I've got my rental leases with a clause stating that rent increases $25/week every year, so I won't be able to increase more than that. But in 3 years I will be getting $150/week more in rent so all up I will be ahead by $10/wk

Comment

Working...
                              X