Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of WIlliams Corporation townhouses

Hey all,

I'm looking into buying my first home in Auckland and found what I think is a pretty good compromise in a decent area (Te Atatu Peninsula) and a pretty good position.
    It is new developments (so buying off the plan) of two-story terraced houses with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for about 720k.
    The developer is Williams corporation which doesn't seem to have a great reputation online - but that doesn't really matter that much as long as the house is good quality and the investment a good one.

A summary of my considerations:

PRO

- price is affordable compared to similar alternatives in the same area

- good area, good sun exposure

- you get two really good sized bedrooms and bathrooms, which is better than average (usually the same style of build only gets you 1 or 1.5 bathrooms)

CONS

- details are cheap, I guess they save money on pretty much everything they can, that’s ok if it makes the house affordable as long as the structure of the house is sound. It is good enough for me to live in and I wouldn't stress too much about it when renting it out in the future. Should I give more importance to this?

- they advertise and encourage using their properties for short-term renting (Airbnb), which makes me think there's a risk of ending up with horrible neighbours one week on one week off. Not sure though how high this risk is, and whether this would apply with any other developer anyways...

- two staircases so quite a bit of transit space. The house floor is 84 m2 but the space you can actually enjoy quite a bit less.

- no dedicated parking space. Not a deal breaker as the area I’m looking at has plenty of on road parking but well obviously a downside.

- they don’t offer Master Build Guarantee, I don’t see this as a biggie but might be wrong?

It would be great if someone who knows them or maybe with first-hand experience of this company could provide a review and an opinion on the quality and duration of the build and the value of the investment.

I could only find a couple of reddits full of comments mostly based on “don’t like their facebook pictures” which doesn’t really help. What I’m looking for is concrete reasons to evaluate this as a good or a bad investment.

Thank you very much everyone

Originally posted by 730 View Post
    - details are cheap, I guess they save money on pretty much everything they can, that’s ok if it makes the house affordable as long as the structure of the house is sound. It is good enough for me to live in and I wouldn't stress too much about it when renting it out in the future. Should I give more importance to this?
    If you plan on renting the property, then, from my very limited experience - yes, you should.
    An owner-occupant will understand and treat things carefully / as they should be.
    Tenants expect all fittings & chattels to be almost bomb-proof.
    After only one occupancy, I sold it and changed from something lightweight to something house-solid.
    Still no guarantees, but most tenants don't know or understand the meaning of the word 'fragile.'

Comment

Thanks Perry that sound like good advice I'm planning to live in it myself for at least few years, after which I might rent it out if I travel, even if temporarily!

Comment

I would be wary of property without dedicated car parking space. A couple of cars per townhouse plus visitor vehicles and plenty of on-road parking can vanish.

Comment

Is there any building guarantee for at least the structural stuff? If not seems risky. Maybe you can get the plans etc looked over by another builder? Plus can you pull out if you get a building inspection of the finished product and it doesn’t match up? I.e you get what was promised.

cheers

Donna

Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

donna there is a 10 year structural warranty on the property, and the developer fixes any defect within the first year.
            The purchaser has to get an inspection done before settlement, not sure what happens if you find issues then, I'll investigate.
            Thanks for raising this, seems a very good question

Comment

Who is the warranty with? It needs to be an independent org. So if the developer goes AWOL you still are covered.

Plus you’d need the code of compliance before settlement and you’d need it for insurance too.
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
              X