Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to sell ~425,000 2 bedroom home in Christchurch

Hi

We plan to sell our 2 bedroom rental in Christchurch next month. It's a 2 bedroom 1970s 100m2 home with attached garage on a 450m2 section (half of 900m2 crosslease). It's rented for $390, but probably could be rented for $420 but the tenant has been easy so it's just stayed flat for 3 years. The kitchen has been renovated 5 years ago and it has a heat pump, small deck, enclosed established garden and is on a tidy street near the teachers collage in Ilam.

The lease ends in 3 weeks time and then we will do some cleaning and tidy up and sell the house.

What method is best for selling homes in Christchurch?

The harcourts agent recommended to us suggested 3 weeks listing followed by auction. 3x sets of sat+sun+wed open homes.

Commission (Excluding GST)
    3.95% on first 400k then 2%
    + $550

+ $1500-2000 marketing (incl gst) and auction fees (depending on options)

That commission seems pretty high; 4.44% then 2.25% (including GST) that's $18,803 incl GST for $400,000 sale.

What do people think?

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by kiwijunglist; 02-02-2021, 11:29 PM.

Give Marc and Wendy a call at Total Realty http://www.marcandwendy.co.nz/aboutus.html tell them I said to call.
    Kaye
    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

The Harcourts Commission is their standard and is way too high for a buyers markets with agents scrambling for listings.

Comment

We've seen a few crop up in the past, but none of those sort-of-styled Pay Less REA outfits survive. The extortionist rates charged by REAs generally seem impervious to change. Even considering TradeMe. Is it that budget-priced REA services are simply not viable / possible? Seems like a great opening, somehow.
        Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Put a realistic price on it and sell it yourself.
          A 2brm box shouldn't need gold plated marketing and fees.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I'm not living in the same city so I will use an agent.

Is Harcourt's negotiable? I was thinking of try negotiate.

Comment

Again give Marc and Wendy a call Total Realty are 1.25%+GST and marketing but they work just as hard if not harder for their clients consistently getting very good prices.
              Kaye
              www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by kiwijunglist View Post
                [...]
                Is Harcourt's negotiable? I was thinking of try negotiate.
                Absolutely. Be upfront with them, tell them their commission is high relative to others in the market and give them the opportunity (if you want to work with them) to reprice.

Comment

Hi Mike

Contact Total Realty Real Estate 03-941-9797. 1.25% commission +$799 marketing.

You will get the same service as any good real estate company, as all the agents are experienced agents from Harcourts and Ray White that believe in selling at a realistic commission rate.

In this market your property should sell after the first open home, all keen buyers will be there.

Auction is not a good option as a lot of interest will be from first home buyers and they may be reluctant to shell out money upfront on building reports, getting LIM checked, valuations, etc.

Also, in this market why wait two to three weeks? It will sell in a multi offer after one open home.

Good luck with the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
                    Give Marc and Wendy a call at Total Realty http://www.marcandwendy.co.nz/aboutus.html tell them I said to call.
                    Will have to put you on commission Kaye. LOL

Comment

LOL Crocoduck I know Marc and Wendy personally and know how hard they work we keep saying we must catch up for a coffee but... just seen they've listed the neighbours property and guessing that's another one sold in days.
                      Kaye
                      www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                      X