"'Dogboxes' for housing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "'Dogboxes' for housing"

Interesting attack on minor dwellings from a local councollor.

New Lynn councillor Derek Battersby believes a loophole in the council's district plan is being exploited by developers.

Rules allow people to build minor household units to accommodate family members.

Waitakere city councillor Mr Battersby says the provisions are being taken advantage of.

He says developers are using the rules to create "dogboxes" and selling the properties for profit.

"The reason for minor household units was to allow people to have members of their family living with them, such as grandparents," he says.

"But in most cases it's just developers making a quick buck.

"We've allowed dogbox houses to be built on the front of properties."

A minor household unit must be no bigger than 65 square metres in gross floor area.

Mr Battersby says the problem is evident citywide.

"There's a number of cases where thiat has happened," he says. "The district plan needs to be reviewed.

"I have no problem with infill housing but it's a matter of how you manage it."

Planning and regulatory committee chairwoman Vanessa Neeson says she is willing to look at the issue.

"If that's the case we need to have a good look at the rules and how they are being applied," she says.

"I'm open to all suggestions.

"If it's not working and people are exploiting it, we need to do something about it."

Council spokeswoman Liz Mahoney says there have been district plan provisions for minor household units since 1988, before west Auckland's local body authorities amalgamated.
    News Source: Stuff
    DFTBA

Waitakere city councillor Mr Battersby says the provisions are being taken advantage of.

He says developers are using the rules to create "dogboxes" and selling the properties for profit
    I would love to know his definition of a 'dogbox'. I also suggest he views one of the Hybrid MDs that I have been building... It is a better quality property than much of the existing stock of houses in West Auckland! Perhaps thats why we get decent rents for them?

I think he is most likely refering to some of the cheap and nasty boxes built by some though! They also will achieve lower rents (and valuations) for their owners too.
    Kieran Trass

Comment

I agree Kieran. I have seen some very cheap garage style minor dwellings. They are an eye sore and the only thing they will do is generate cashflow not equity.

Comment

Working...
      X