Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have better than standard smoke alarms in your personal house and rentals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have better than standard smoke alarms in your personal house and rentals?

Do you have good smoke alarms in your personal house and rentals? We have the standard smoke alarms in our personal house - but they are crap! If you have the cheap, standard smoke alarms in your personal house or rentals, I would change them immediately.
    Yesterday we got a new mattress. I stupidly left the old mattress in the hallway, leaning against a low light. My wife equally stupidly turned on the lower lights last night. Result = we almost had a major fire. Lucky my wife noticed the smell and just got to it in time. Note, fire extinguishers make a big mess and it takes about 25 minutes for fire trucks to get to our place (pretty good for out in the country).
    BUT - the smoke alarm right above the fire did nothing! The fire department said a good photoelectric smoke alarm would have been set of a lot earlier!

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

We only use Cavius now, with their heat detectors in kitchens.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
      we only use cavius now, with their heat detectors in kitchens.
      ( maalmfc )
      www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

I find the smoke alarms you buy in hardware stores - the $10 to $15 ones are crap too. They seem to last a few years then just go on the fritz. Go off in the middle of the night, beep etc. Test the batteries and they're fine... Put the battery back in and they're good for another 3 months... or put in a new battery and same thing, so throw them away and get a new one...
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

We had just put new batteries in the two smoke alarms in the hallway in the last week or two. And of course, once all over(1 hour later), then they beeped a few times each just to annoy us.
          Book a free chat here
          Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

That can be a spiders web in the sensor

Comment

The Consumer magazine has now done a test on smoke alarms, and list three models to avoid:

Fire Smart FS946 priced at $6.00
              Universal MI3050S priced at $57.00
              Quell Q246 priced at $15.00

Good 10-year battery models in their opinion:

Arma NV107S at $19.00
              Cavius CAV10 at $50.00
              Family Shield FS-588HLL at $17.00
              Fire Angel ST-750 at $48.00
              Fire Hawk FHB10 at $36.00
              First Alert PRC710V at $99.00
              Goldair GS-526 at $20.00
              Jobmate MT588H-LB at $20.00
              Orca Micro OM509-LS at $35.00
              Orca OM107H-LS at $25.00
              Pyrexx PX-1C at $149.00
              Quell Q1400 at $29.00
              Sentech Micro SK-20NZ at $55.00

It would seem that price is unrelated to their performance.

Comment

Sweet, thanks flyernzl.

I've got 2 sitting on my desk right now. They have both gone off in the middle of the night over the last week or so (this is in our house).

They are both less than 2 years old, both have batteries that test basically 100%... so annoying.

Not a peep out of them whilst on my desk. So will put them back up and do it again in a month, a year, who knows.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Possibly the cold sets them beeping Dave
                  www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    Possibly the cold sets them beeping Dave
                    Yes I think so. Someone on this forum said years ago that when it's cold, the voltage drops, making them beep.

But this is them actually going off. Not just indicating low battery, but indicating a fire - when nothing is happening - it's the middle of the night, no smoke, no cooking, no steam etc.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

These are the ones we use. We have had very little problem with them. We also get them at a discounted rate due to the number we purchase.
                      www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

I've installed about 20 of the Jobmate MT588H-LB from Mitre10 - good value and not a problem in the last 3 years.
                        The MT588H-LB seems to be several brands - all the same. Warrior has one I think.

Comment

Cavius are the ones I use.....aesthetically pleasing (so small I don't notice them) plus they are good according to reports etc...tbc on that one though, haven't had a fire to truly test it....umm fingers crossed I don't have to either.

Comment

Working...
                          X