X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wxc
    replied
    I see.
    Thanks for your quick reply to clarify this.

Leave a comment:

• flyernzl
    replied
    You are mixing up two different types of business here.

Residential renting is specifically exempt from the GST regime. Residential landlords cannot register for GST, and their tenants do not pay 'rent +GST'. Of course, this means that they can't claim back the GST on their overheads or costs either.

However, accommodation businesses like hotels, motels and camp grounds are GST liable just like any other business.

So if you rent out your residential property on a daily/weekly basis like airbnb, bookabach or suchlike you fall into this regime and must register for GST if you rise above the threshold of that system. And you can deduct the GST content of your expenses.

Leave a comment:

• " Tax warning for holiday rentals" acticle from NZ Herald

Hi

Reading this article yesterday.
    You can search "Tax warning for holiday rentals" at NZ Herald website.

This could be a tax related post, I think it can also be a general discussion.

According to the article, any rental income over $6k a year will require to register GST and pay GST.

So almost all investors who own more than 2 rental properties in Auckland will require to register GST and pay GST.
    (assume each rental gets $600 a week, 2 x $600 x 52 = $62400)

Paying 15% GST on the revenue which is equivalent to adding X% for interest on the mortgage.

And when the property sold, owner has to pay GST on the sale, isn't it will be much greater than the Capital Gain Tax?
    (CGT calculate from the gain, while GST calculate from sale)
    Why people still want to implement CGT?

Just wondering are investors who own more than 2 rental properties will have to create more entities to holding the properties to limit the rental income within the $6k GST threshold?

Am I interpret the article correct?

Thanks

Vincent
Working...
X