No announcement yet.

Airnb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will disclose, that I have been an NZ based AirBnB host for nearly 3 years. I am very strict with my business, paying all required taxes and doing everything fair and by the book, unlike some other hosts I have heard of.

Recently, my account was compromised and my identity was stolen. 1 hour after the first breach, my account was used to book 4 properties in the same country the offender hacked into my account from. To this day I do not know how my account was breached, as AirBnb have refused to discuss the matter in any form with me. It was so bad, I had to take steps myself to prevent further account breaches and secure the account myself.

I had mid 4 figure sums taken from my account to book the 4 properties for 2 days each, when the attacker used my account, good feedback and name to book 4 properties. It was clear to me (I have a background in computer forensics) that this was not the first time the hacker had done this.

The breach was reported within 1 hour of it occurring, and 4 hours after this one of the hosts let the attacker into the property. She stated she let him in because of my profile and the good reputation I had.

After 15 hours and 3 phone calls, I was unconvinced AirBnB was doing all it could to protect the hosts so I contacted the 4 hosts at risk directly. I was shocked to hear from two of them, that they had not heard from AirBnB. I was even more shocked to hear that one host had personally let the person into her property for the booked stay, or so she thought. I told her to get the Police and go to her property - she went with her husband, and was horrified to find that every piece of property inside the house had been stolen.

Later in the afternoon, the four figure funds taken from my account to pay for the stays was refunded, however the last time I spoke to the host (9 days later) AirBnB still had not contacted her, and refused to speak to her when she called them. I do not know what happened to the other 3 hosts, 1 responded but could not understand English, and two never responded.

I managed to track the hacker, I found out his name, where he lives, his phone number, his email address and have multiple photos of him. AirBnB has been told this, however has never engaged me to retrieve the information or have me explain how I obtained this.

I can say that I have been to a large media organisation over this and although they were very interested in the case, were unwilling to take it on as a stand alone case, as they felt it needed to be bought as part of a total case surrounding security of property owners when hosting short term guests.

I still host, however I take security seriously and take big steps (all legal, of course), to ensure that my property stays inside the confines of my spaces, and that if it does not I can track every single item.

I fear for the 99% of hosts, that expect and assume AirBnB will protect them in the case of theft, property damage, hacked accounts, identity theft, or fraud - because I have experienced first hand that they absolutely will not.
    Last edited by absoluteproperty; 03-02-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Hi, Sorry to hear about this.
      Couple of questions:

So, how could they add a new bank account to your airbnb account without going through the verification process and how coukd they remove funds?

Why are you keeping any money on your airbnb account in the first place? Ours gets transferred immediately it reaches $200 what is less than two days booking.

Further how did you not see that guests made bookings meanwhile hijacked your account (be able to see on the pu lic listi g) and warn the real owners right away to replace locks, etc?

Comment

Sending you a pm decofan

Comment

Hi PropertybuyingNZ,

Thank you for your questions. Whilst I appreciate your inquisitive concerns on the events, they are very specific and sensitive. I would rather not discuss these with someone unknown to me. I am happy to discuss generic issues, and I have shared all above of which I am able to share regarding those events.

I can assure you, the events did happen, and I have proof of everything that did happen - AirBnB just has not bothered to make contact to take the details.

Comment

Wow. What an eye-opener. Thanks for sharing.
            My blog. From personal experience.
            http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Air BnB

Does anyone have experience with letting out their property via AirBNB? Does the Auckland Council need to be involved with some form of consent or not? Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Smith View Post
                Does anyone have experience with letting out their property via AirBNB? Does the Auckland Council need to be involved with some form of consent or not? Thanks for your help
                not sure about council stuff (don't think there's any) - but beware that if a property is primarily being used for AurBnB then you may be required to pay GST

Comment

Hey Smith - chasing you from your other thread about becoming an accidental landlord. Do ALL the research into what it means to run an hotel operation, which is what AirBNB is. It's very hands on and if you're an accidental landlord do you really want to do this?
                  Last edited by Nick G; 20-02-2017, 09:13 PM.
                  Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Do a search - there was a thread on here not long ago.
                    And GST is only payable when it gets to over $60K per annum.
                    My blog. From personal experience.
                    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

You have to dust the room, change the sheets, top up the coffee and welcome the guests each and every time.

So it becomes very much a labour-intensive hands-on operation.

Know someone who gave it a go. They calculated that they were earning $2 per hour for their labour over and above what they had been getting as a standard residential rental.

Not for this kid, thanks.
                      Last edited by flyernzl; 21-02-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                        You have to dust the room, change the sheets, top up the coffee and welcome the guests each and every time.

So it becomes very much a labour-intensive hands-on operation.

Know someone who gave it a go. They calculated that they were earning $2 per hour for their labour over and above what they had been getting as a standard residential rental.

Not for this kid, thanks.
                        With the popularity of Air B&B councils are starting to review rules. I use Bookabach for my bach and it is reasonably hands off (I just check after each guest and make sure place is left clean and tidy, guests usually provide their own linen and clean but I do clean it again).

Queenstown council are looking at changing rules (and rates) for AirB&B and Bookabach etc.
                        Digital newsstand featuring 7000+ of the world’s most popular newspapers & magazines. Enjoy unlimited reading on up to 5 devices with 7-day free trial.

I found the following concerning Auckland:
                        The issue of whether residential ratepayers who rent out their homes for profit should pay rates in line with their commercial counterparts is not a new one.

AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL
                        Position: Not actively conducting a desktop exercise to look for these properties at present.
                        Policy: Properties providing short-term accommodation, or any other home business, are subject to business rates on the proportion of the value of the property used for business purposes.

Craig

Comment

Can't imagine that people jetting in from London, Paris or New York will actually be bringing their own sheets.

Comment

Can't imagine they'll be staying in South Auckland either.... (from another thread OP's property is in Manurewa)

@Craig - that's very interesting and not a surprise. I'd expect insurers to be close behind.
                            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

its not just for tourists, our guests 50% local kiwi folks.
                              job relocation, house renovation, relative in hospital, wedding, etc, etc,

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                                Can't imagine that people jetting in from London, Paris or New York will actually be bringing their own sheets.
                                Linen is available, just an extra people pay for. Have had lots of international bookings in the past and probably 50% have requested linen.

I have been tempted to also put it on Air B&B but decided not worth the extra hassle and that I am getting enough bookings to cover my costs via bookabach and don't want it rented out too much as I want to use it a lot myself.

@ Nick, Bookabach works best if places are in popular holidays spots- not sure South Auckland counts. Also, most insurers won't cover bookabach/air B&B style rentals, may have changed now but when I first put my property on my insurer wouldn't insure it even though I had 7 other properties with them.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X