Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe only 1 in 5 houses that were for sale in Welly were in good repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe only 1 in 5 houses that were for sale in Welly were in good repair?

The article in the link below is based on Victoria Uni research into building inspection reports.

We have a small property maintenance company in Wellington, so have seen a good few building inspection reports. Some on places we know well. They are usually CYA, and take the worst case scenarios, which is totally fair enough, but not necessarily what reasonably needs to happen in practice.

Notice the article didn't mention that Buildsure also has construction and project management services.

Am I being cynical that this and other recent media reports are quietly building a case for rental warrants of fitness? Now that child poverty, breakfast and lunch for kids at school, living wage and homelessness have pretty much had their day in the sun.

An extract:

Data for the study was taken from a random sample of 70 inspection reports and 10 common problems were identified – asbestos, concrete spalling, corrosion, decay of timber, electrics, external water management, movement, subfloor moisture, subfloor structure and wall moisture.

Thirty-six percent of houses in the sample were likely to have asbestos present in either the roof or wall cladding, 35% had high moisture levels, and 53% had insufficient subfloor ventilation with the potential to lead to decay and corrosion.

The National Business Review Online is New Zealand's authority in breaking business news and analysis.

It's a very small sample size, why not go to every inspection company and randomly sample 100 reports?

A lot of Wellington's houses are very old so this wouldn't surprise me to be honest.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

I'm amazed at the lack of maintenance done by owner occupiers. There's a real reluctance and indignation that homes need to be maintained. What's this all about? I know a few who are like this - they have homes worth a fair whack in top suburbs yet even with the acknowledgement that they've done well with capital gain they still are reluctant to do even the most basic of maintenance. Is this a Kiwi thing? Or a Wellingtonian thing?

cheers,

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I think the problem is that you fail a WOF if you fail on one item. So if the house is not insulated = fail. no fixed heating source = fail. Dripping taps = fail.
        I lived in about a dozen shared rentals in wellington over the period 1996 to 2010, btw Johnsonville and Miramar, and would say that they would all fail - but all bar one were completely livable and felt safe enough. One had terrible rising damp (the walls changed colour). Never really had a problem with landlords though - if i was proactive they were happy to get required work done, such as fixing an unsafe slat window, replacing curtains (we made, he paid), fixing locks on the garage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkingbutnotdoing View Post
          I think the problem is that you fail a WOF if you fail on one item. So if the house is not insulated = fail. no fixed heating source = fail. Dripping taps = fail.
          This is why the WOF as proposed is quite simply dumb. It means people will do the absolute minimum to achieve WOF and nothing more. A points system at least creates some incentive to improve above the minimum standard.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            they have homes worth a fair whack in top suburbs yet even with the acknowledgement that they've done well with capital gain they still are reluctant to do even the most basic of maintenance.
            They may think they have done well with CG but with poor maintenance they won't get the money they expect!

Comment

Working...
            X